Ferrari Speciale vs Pista - feeling/performance/grip?! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Speciale vs Pista - feeling/performance/grip?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Jul 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #76 REALZEUS, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    I think that you have misunderstood me. He is dead wrong about me being a fanboy and against evolution. I adhere to the mantra that the best Ferrari is yet to come; how could I be blissful with things as they are? Yes, current cars (all cars, not just Ferraris) are fantastic, but the next ones will be even better. Unless we go fully electric, in which case I might have a couple of issues with the new generation...

Clay512TR likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Never said that they are perfect. Nothing is perfect. But they are really great and the next ones will be even greater. Evolution is a good thing!
    Regarding the Multimatic dampers, they are not as great as you might think. They are track focused, but they are not of variable absorption, thus being less than optimal for road driving. This, by itself, would be a reason enough for me not to select the Asseto Fiorano pack.

tekaefixe likes this.
  3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    His point is that while you might care about evolutionary advances in super cars, your only focus is exclusively upon Ferrari to the exclusion of the competition. And it is that very competion that has spawned and propelled the improvements from which we are now all benefitting.

Shadowfax, tekaefixe and Clay512TR like this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    This is a Ferrari forum, is it not? If I wanted to chat about Lambos, I would have joined lamboforum. At any rate, I appreciate advancements from all manufacturers, I am just more interested in Ferrari. I hope that 's not an offence on a Ferrari focused forum...

Ash Patel, Lukeylikey and Clay512TR like this.
  5. I nominate this for "Thread Drift of the Year"

To think this thread started off comparing two Ferrari's and then circled the drain to become a shouting match about how Ferrari's are better (or not) than other marques, and how and who is a Ferrari fanboy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Completely right! People in here when the carbon chassis of the Macs is brought up always say that though it’s carbon it’s a cheap version and so crappy by definition, just the one in la Ferrari is good. They forget or don’t know that Mac has a lot of patents and one of them is for a cost effective carbon fiber so others can’t copy for now. This is one example that the competition is not sleeping.
    Look at Ferrari with the SF90, 1850kh and 875hp... hardly something to brag about.

7. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Back to the topic, if owners of both had to choose, which one would they keep?

Clay512TR likes this.
  8. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France

Pista outperform Speciale in all the way but I prefer Speciale ;)

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I think that you are mistaken regarding the numbers. :)

10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What bumper sticker did you copy that off of?

11. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I too agree with this opinion.
    I think the most curvy Ferrari like car is the CS and to me the perfect balance of design and aggression was achieved in the Scud. Pista is the biggest departure from the base car and the most aggressive, I kinda like that as well. I find its design to be much more cohesive and less tacked on than Speciale. I find Speciale to be the only car of the four where the base car (458) is much nicer looking than the update. I just could never get to like the design. It looks forced and honestly some of the elements like the front bumper and those stupid canards/wings (whatever they are) on the side make it look more like the design job of a third party than a Ferrari. I find Speciale to be trying too hard with its design.
    All of this is imho and I respect that many will not agree with it.

raclaims likes this.
  12. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    I think the Pista is a masterpiece. To me it's one of the most beautiful modern Ferraris. I'd buy one for the looks and buy a speciale for the sound.

Bundy and raclaims like this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #88 Lukeylikey, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    ....and what’s wrong with being a Ferrari fanboy anyway? If you want to call me one, go right ahead. Doesn’t mean I don’t like, love and appreciate other brands. I just bought another 3RS, this time the .2 version - I love Porsche, nearly as much as I love Ferrari. In fact the last two cars I have bought have been Porsches. I tried to buy a Performante, really really tried to talk myself into it because it is the only one I have never owned - had Porsches, Astons, Ferraris, a McLaren but never a Lambo. In the end though, I just don’t feel anything for the brand and there are plenty good cars around, so the fact that I know the Perf is a great car is not enough. If there were no other great cars made, no doubt it would be. I love the heritage of both Porsche and Ferrari and it actually does make a difference to my thought process - I need to feel quite motivated to spend a lot of money on a piece of metal, so the historical human elements I see with a brand gives me the emotion I need to press the button.

I’m with Realzeus on the suspension argument (we are comparing Speciale and Pista after all). Colin Chapman, the engineering genius from Lotus whose philosophy has been recognised and lauded for decades now, always believed in light weight but also soft and very compliant suspension. The Manthey .1 RS knocked many seconds off the official Porsche 991.1 RS ring time by basically softening the suspension. The technical reason is clear and obvious. Power and grip come through the tyres being pressed into the tarmac. Hard suspension bouncing off undulations and imperfections in the surface reduce power transmission and grip. Keeping those contact patches in touch with road and under load is critical. So if the Pista’s suspension is more sophisticated than the Speciale, good! Would we really want a new Ferrari to be the same as the old?

The appeal of older cars over newer is never that they are technically better, at least not in a super-brand like Ferrari. Instead it is in the emotions the car sparks in you, the looks, how the car reflects its era. My Pista Spider hasn’t arrived yet but my friend’s Pista has. He loves it and is now, for the first time ever, thinking about selling his Speciale (his third). I won’t be doing that for my own reasons, but those are unlikely to include that I find the Speciale to be superior to the Pista in driving terms.

I also pick up some mixed messages from others fchatters. On the one hand people celebrate ‘competition, because that’s what is making Ferrari produce better and more modern/advanced cars’ and on the other they don’t like the more modern and newer cars because they have ‘lost the soul of the older cars’. So which is it please? To think that competition is anything new in the life of Ferrari is somewhat fanciful. There has been one new competitor in the last few decades - McLaren. I hardly think that changes the game as significantly as people are saying. It is not being blinkered or possessive of a closed mind to be a Ferrari fanboy. I know that other brands produce great cars, but I love most of the cars Ferrari produce and I also love their history, I connect and resonate with it in a way that I don’t with Lambo for instance. If I didn’t love the cars, I certainly wouldn’t spend on them, so the history is not enough. But for the moment, I love what Manzoni is doing and I love what the development teams for the chassis and power train are doing. I would prefer easier regulations but as a petrolhead, I don’t get to change that. And as a fanboy, I still love these new Ferraris because they look great and they drive great.

The Speciale is exactly that - special. But the Pista will be magnificent too. They are from the same family. My oldest daughter has a different character to my other children. Do I love her less? Not a chance. How can you compare these two cars? Are we trying to say someone who has chosen either one has bought a deficient car? There can be no winner here.

chrixxx, MANDALAY, Bundy and 6 others like this.
  14. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    ^ Very very well articulated..........standing ovation.

Clay512TR likes this.
  15. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    What a beautiful review of the two cars in one sentence. Thank you :)

Clay512TR, of2worlds and 458-Italia like this.
  16. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Do two laps in the 1000hp and you end up with a depleted batery and a slower car, ridiculous!

17. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France

you should be a politician the art of not choosing or not to deplore !
    I have Speciale and pista and I am not afraid to say that Speciale has what is missing in Pista: pure pleasure

Clay512TR and tekaefixe like this.
  18. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    I can say the opposite......so who's right? :eek::cool:

Why not just enjoy both of them for what they are...........;)

Lukeylikey likes this.
  19. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I'm a little disappointed
    I was expecting to be dazzled by Pista
    It is great but Ferrari has not been to the end of his approach
    what a shame !

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    While the evolution of super cars has undoubtedly created enhanced technical and objective capabilty, individual subjective preferences and priorities will be the ultimate arbiter as which car is preferred. Isn't it time, that we simply accept that reality.

dmark1 and Clay512TR like this.
  21. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Anybody else ever own a 73ish 911 with an IROC tail?

Everytime I see a Pista at speed the tail reminds me of the good old days.

22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    While McLaren is actually a "new" competitor, its Senna and 720S, as well as Porsche with the highly evolved RS series and Lamborghini ( despite the fact that some are not feeling it) with the Performante, has created viable alternatives to Ferrari. The Pista is Ferrari's response to the 720S and Performante. All three manufacturers will continue to feed off each other ( watch as they all introduce hybrids with similar HP ratings) and for those who favor the new breed of super car, the future looks very promising. Those, on the other hand, whose predilections lie with greater subjective soul and visceral excitement, may not be as pleased.

BarryK likes this.
  23. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Well I certainly was dazzled on the track with a Ferrari test driver pushing me. Maybe you haven't had the same experience?

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That stands true for all hybrids; even F1 machines cannot deploy their full power lap after lap, and they have to harvest at some points. That's why they have a quali mode and then different race modes. Overall they are quicker with the hybrid system, than without it. Same with the Stradale.

My point though was that the figures you quoted were incorrect.

25. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    [QUOTE=" I tried to buy a Performante, really really tried to talk myself into it because it is the only one I have never owned - had Porsches, Astons, Ferraris, a McLaren but never a Lambo. In the end though, I just don’t feel anything for the brand and there are plenty good cars around, so the fact that I know the Perf is a great car is not enough. .[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way, I own a lot of Porsches and 4 Ferrari's currently...then I just bought a Lambo Performante Spyder...it's gorgeous and my wife LOVES it and cant stop driving it. While it's different from the Ferrari and Porsche in many ways...I think it's a nice compliment if you already own the others as it's just another version of the same ideas...would it be my one and only...no chance...but if you have several it's worthy of adding one.

of2worlds, dustman and Lukeylikey like this.