348 - Broken Pieces Found Inside the Door Panel | FerrariChat

348 Broken Pieces Found Inside the Door Panel

Discussion in '348/355' started by goose22b, Jul 13, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Hello all. I'm hoping the brain trust can help me with some of the broken pieces I found inside my door panel when I took it off today. I originally pulled off the door panel as the internal grab was loose, and I heard a pop. I opened it up and replaced the plastic pin that popped out. But when I was in there, I found a couple other broken pieces.

I know the tumbler doesn't lock when I insert a key into the door, and I was thinking it might be nice to fix this while I have the door open. There's a photo that shows a loose piece around the door lock area. Does anyone know if this is toally broken and needs to be replaced with a new part?

Also, I found a broken metal piece that just fell off when I was unbolting the door inner piece. What would be the best way to fix this? Should I get someone to weld the two pieces together? What does this piece do?

Finally, where do the rubber hoses go when putting it back together? I have a feeling it's going to be challenging to line everything up properly to put the door back together. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. Thanks for the help everyone!

2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    On the broken window frame - when popping off the panel, I found a weld broken too. I pulled the window out (not fun, but not terribly tough) and had a local body shop weld it. It holds to this day.

As to the loose bit on the lock - I dont recall 100%, but I seem to remember I had a similiar issue. I ended up pulling that pin/retainer out and using a modified body screw (plastic for panels maybe for a Ford?) and touched the end to a soldering iron to lock it into place. Again, still good to this day. I have since found a new locking mechanism so when it gives up the ghost, I'll fix it properly

goose22b likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ga68_ likes this.
  4. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    That replacement piece goes on the end of the inside key lock cylinder which is just above the blue arrow in the last picture. It replaces a plastic piece that breaks over time. It is missing in the above picture so there may be some additional pieces in the bottom of the door (like the little horseshoe shaped spring clip that holds it in place).

Qavion likes this.
  5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Pretty common break on the window frame support.
    Order new or have it brazed / welded.

Take the time now to clean and re-grease that power window "snake".
    The grease gets hard and slows thew window travel speed.

goose22b and BT like this.
  6. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the additional "while you're in there" info Watson. But... What's the window "snake"? I know my windows were slow before, but functional. So this may help.

I planned on cleaning and re-greasing the pull cable, as that was really tight before the plastic piece popped out.

7. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The cable that runs inside those red tubes.