dinoplex dilemma...(again!) | FerrariChat

dinoplex dilemma...(again!)

Discussion in '206/246' started by philt68, May 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    so as you may or may not know, my car died in midtown a few weeks ago-it seemed the problem lay with the dinoplex, so i ordered one from superperformance...

it arrived, was installed, and presto! nothing worked!

the spark was very weak...so we tried the old dinoplex with the NEW coil that came with the superperformance kit, and presto, it started right up!

any thoughts? dodgy superperformance dinoplex? wiring issue?

thanks sages...

phil

2. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Sounds to me like the original coil (BAE 200A) is dead. Did you receive the MSD Blaster 2 as replacement for the BAE200A yet?
    Your workshop mentioned that the Emergenza coil (BZR 201A) is also broken, don't forget to exchange that too. A Bosch 0 221 119 030 red coil (the same as the one in your Superformance Dinoplex replica kit) is a good replacement for the Emergenza coil and can be used with the existing clamp and Marelli resistor.

Regarding the weak spark from the Superformance, try the test (short circuiting the resistor) i posted in your other Dinoplex thread to check if this is an issue with the sparkplugs or wiring.

Cheers,
    Adrian

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What are the Primary and Secondary resistance for the BAE 200A ?

I have three; one quite low and the other two with Primary about 1.2-1.3 Ohms and 8k for secondary

4. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Measured with a Fluke Low-Z multimeter, the primary resistance is ~0.4Ω and the secondary resistance is around 5-6K for the two samples i have.

5. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Scott,
    The resistance values for those two coils sound perfectly normal to me. The one which is considerably less is probably shorted.
    Most digital meters do not read very accurately at those low levels. An error of 0.2 - 0.3 ohms is not unusual, so keep that in mind.

I have a BAE 201A coil, which according to Adrian, is nearly identical to the BAE 200A. Its primary resistance reads 0.8 ohms (verified by using three different meters and a known 1 ohm resistance for reference). The seconday is around 6.5 k.

Adrian, your 0.4 ohm value sounds too low to me. Are you sure? The Fluke Low-Z should of course be accurate, but my own Fluke 87 read 0.2 ohms too high, so sometimes even the best can let us down...

Or did Marelli increase the primary resistance in the BAE 201 to be more gentle on the Dinoplex perhaps?

Lars

synchro likes this.
  6. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    For CDI ignitions as the Dinoplex the coil is just a transformer, so the low primary resistance is not really a problem. Everything between 0.4-0.8Ω should be fine, good chance that the BAE200A i measured already has some shorts on the primary side.

A simple and effective test to find out if a CDI coil is still good is to supply a low AC (!) voltage such as 2 volts to the primary side and then measure the resulting AC voltage on the secondary side. The BAE200A should have a winding ratio of 1:70 to 1:80, so by supplying 2V AC you would should see 140-160V AC on the secondary side if the windings are still fine.

synchro likes this.
  7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you, I've had these forever and just sorting things out in the garage.
    Also with inductance measurements I need some settling time for the measurement rather than a quick read

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Check your wiring, I know SF tests each one for over 30mins before being packed (I have seen them do it) on their test rig)

Would be surprised if it is the SF box but faults do happen.

Tony

synchro likes this.