430 Scuds that don’t sell for years | Page 4 | FerrariChat

430 Scuds that don’t sell for years

Discussion in '360/430' started by OneFastM3, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bhh

Bhh Rookie

Dec 5, 2014
    Manhattan
    Quick question 360trev. I have a scud I track occasionally. Added the Cup 2's but considering camber adjustment as well. How did you go about doing it? Was it straightforward? Thanks for you help.

2. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    ye

3. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Actually, my biggest mistake was that I specified my F430 Spider from new, with carbon brakes and carbon seats, I paid $300,000 plus for it and loved it absolutely having a CS already, when it came to buying my SCUD, it was my perfect spec with 1.5k miles and -$100k from new, a no brainer so to speak, to replace my gutless CS. The mistake was that the SCUD was at the back of the showroom so I strangely (for me) bought it without driving it, thinking it could only be a massive improvement over my F430 Spider. However apart from the Superfast2 gearbox, it sadly wasnt.

Manda racing likes this.
  4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    That is why 11 years later I have and still love my F430 Spider, however, I question whether my 981 Boxster GTS is better round corners somedays ..... for $100k difference

Manda racing likes this.
  5. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #80 RichardCH, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Sadly it may be Porsche uber alles, but at least my wife loves the 981 GTS but I do know that my 991 GT3RS is a massively better engineered product than a 2008 SCUD, Ferrari has to go massively upmarket or die as it suddenly has so much more & better midrange competition

Manda racing likes this.
  6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    This is all true, but there are a lot of track biased road cars that have been surpassed by more modern cars, better in every way, that still sell high. 993 RS, 997 GT2 RS, 288 GTO, 599 GTO, 2.7 RS. All of these were surpassed by other cars that could do everything better, but prices remain much higher than Scuds, and the only difference I can see, as the Scud is dynamically as standout as any of these were in their time, is rarity.

7. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm... i am a current owner of a 458 and recently owned f430 spider. I dont own that many cars and have limited experience, but I have a few cars at the same price range - r8 gt3 boxster etc. I also recently sampled the huracan evo. I drove the scud yesterday for the first time ever, for just 4 miles. I was blown away by how different that car is, fell in love right away. All of a sudden every car I have feels way too soft. Perhaps the difference isnt as great to you because of the carbon buckets vs a daytona which is in my f430....the scud engine feels edgey, the exhaust sound has more character (the sound changes from low to mid to high end, and get pops and bangs occasionally) than the 458 (sounds great but doesnt have a lot of variation), the braking feels very similar to a f430 and the interior is a different experience. I wouldnt call it night and day but it gets pretty damn close.

Shark01, ca_scud, freshmeat and 2 others like this.
  8. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Why a mistake? I know a lot of people for whom the F430, especially as a Spider, is one of the best Ferraris ever made in Maranello. After the F430, everything became a little "softer", more adapted for a wider use. Let's just take this stupid metal folding roof, nice for a Mercedes SLK, the darling of all women...

Enjoy your Spider!

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just order camber shims, inexpensive factory part. Let me find the details, been posted many times if you do a search.

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    A good start point is the 430 challenge setup, then adjust according to your drive style/preference. If you go 1:1, you'll also notice the steering gets a little more lively on street driving.

I'd share what I run, but my wheel/tire setup is not OEM (19x9, 245 fr and 19x12, 325s rr on cup 2s), so probably won't be helpful.

Bhh likes this.
  12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #87 360trev, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    If you send me your setup I will add it to the comparison sheet. It allows you to then compare over different models. Only thing about 430 Challenge setup it runs a much lower ride height on fixed dampers and both stiffer springs and anti roll bars on stiffer bushings all around so it may require some experimentation to make it behave better on road car hardware with active damping. Also designed to run on slicks so will be different against even cup2s or Trofeo Rs which tend to be at the higher end of extreme track focused but road legal street rubber. Even abs is calibrated very differently on road car so you could definitely get to the ragged edges of electronic modelling and confuse it. Maybe only option being to switch everything off or recalibrate the firmwares.

FORZA 62 likes this.
  13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

like Trev said, order factory shims. OR, you can just use generic washers if track side time isn't limited. The factory shims are designed to make things faster and easier.

If you want to increase negative camber, use shims on the lower control arms. if you want to decreased negative camber, use shims on the upper control arms

its that simple.

Manda racing and Bhh like this.
  14. Bhh

Bhh Rookie

Dec 5, 2014
    Manhattan
    360trev likes this.
  15. idoitanyway

idoitanyway Rookie

Jul 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Holloway
    New here, but curious on everyone's input. Was wondering what people thought of this Scud and its current price. Seems like the market hasn't been too hot recently, but something with mileage this low seems to be unique now a days.

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    for the person who must have a low mile black car - that ask might happen. for anyone open to other colors i think its 10 to 15K high. only takes one buyer...

17. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I don’t understand how a car like that doesn’t get driven. I love being in my car and driving it. I wanna drive it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cole328 likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this question/statement pops up twice a week. we all simultaneously live in our own relative and absolute worlds. what you think is incomprehensible is simply an after thought to some. ie the guy who owned it cld have dozens of cars, busy life etc. or he cld be one of those guys who kept the scud as a low mile trophy. in fact i wld go far as to say 90 percent of ferraris arent driven. if this car had 20K miles that wld be 2k miles a year, hardly driven. so whether its 200 or 2k a year, whats the difference?

Themaven, rennspeed and f355spider like this.
  19. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    2k is a lot more fun than 200. But I agree, maybe the person who owned this car has many other cars that are Exhilarating to drive. I personally find it hard not to drive my 430. It’s addicting!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    agree!
    post #72

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That was the case with the 430 Scuderia I bought...owner simply has 8 other interesting cars in his garage, plus boats and a plane...good to be him.

Themaven likes this.
  22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    It is black looks like atleast one headlight is fogged ,looks like the rear difuser is scratched and the seat bolster look faded or stained.. who knows what else...if it was red and perfect as a 2600 mile car ahould be it might have sold

23. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    they only made 1500 Scuderia world wide

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Many of us would disagree with your assessment. Just looking at the inventory of 430 Scuderias available for sale at any given time, leads one to acknowledge that many, many more were built than the 360CS. If the 360CS production is generally agreed to be around 1200, that would put the 430 Scuderia production closer to double that figure.

Shark01 likes this.
  25. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    more like 3000 Scuderia Worldwide, you can use Google right ?

Shark01 and f355spider like this.