Vettel plans to retire at the end of 2019 | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Vettel plans to retire at the end of 2019

Discussion in 'F1' started by 444sp, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Not to talk about the fact Bottas is often faster than Ham and for many people he should retire.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yes exaclty

And lets not forget that bottas now drives with a 10 race old (!!) engine as his spec 2 failed early on...whereas hamilton does drive with spec 2 and much newer. And still he was beaten in both austria and won by default on bottas!

stavura, daytona355 and Igor Ound like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's easy to understimate Bottas because he is simply less flamboyant that his team mate.
    I place him among the top 5 at the moment.

4. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    All LH44 fanboys do, otherwise their bubble would burst ;)
    Others are not so sure about that....

stavura, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Yeah, but it does depend, top five at what?, girlfriend/wife.... I’d say he has a chance at top five performance in that category, although I haven’t seen her legs properly yet. Top five at ping pong? Top five at crosswords? Top five driver? Hehehehehehe, that’s funny, I always like to hear a good kooks at least once a day.., and not just that Elton is a goat.

stavura and Bas like this.
  6. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Also don't forget Bottas has more wins than Ham, and has won 5 championships.

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    6, when you include this year;)

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Bottas is solid F1 racer and would work well at any team. Happy to see him at Ferrari if that was decided

william likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think Bottas would need a bit of convincing to leave Mercedes.

DF1 likes this.
  10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Who cares about Bottas? lol, just sayin.

stavura, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  11. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    You’re in the Top Five in my book.

12. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Just to be absolutely clear on one point: Ferrari were feeding oil into the fuel system for burning for at least half a season before Mercedes started doing it. And the FIA busted them both at the same time – nothing to do with complaints from Mercedes or any other team. For business confidentiality reasons, I cannot say why I am privy to this information, but I am 100% certain it is correct.

william likes this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Bottas will stay at Mercedes until his contract isn't renewed. He would be a fool to leave.

14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

I hate to say it, but your source is a little confused. In 2017 Mercedes was burning oil in its engines to boost power, in particular in qualifying modes. If you’ll remember. Late in 2017, once the other teams had cottoned on and had jury rigged a solution into their cars, the FIA mandated that the oil supply to these systems be limited, and there was a gentleman’s agreement that the engines would be changed in (Spa or Monza, can’t remember which) that would stop excessive oil burning, and Mercedes decided NOT to freeze their engine at the same time, thus maintaining their advantage over the rest by having more capacity for oil burning.

In 2018, the FIA jumped all over Ferrari from RACE TWO due to complaints from Mercedes about their oil boost system (as it proved superior to Mercedes system, resulting in sensors being added to two fuel sensor points, not just one, to try to limit our use of the newly integrated system... reports within ferrari itself state that this actually created a loss of a minimum of 30bhp from that oil system, effectively nullifying the usefulness of the system. Quite why the FIA turned a blind eye to Mercedes continued use of their version of the system is anyone’s guess, but they continued through to the final races unhindered. In addition, of course, the special tyres were brought back by Pirelli to resolve Mercedes tyre issues, despite the fact that the other 9 teams were very happy with the specification, and this spec was again brought through to this year after lobbying by Mercedes only. Note, Pirelli have recently stated that to change the specification of tyres it would take the group request of 7 teams - yet they changed tyres on at least two occasions purely at the behest of ONE team, not SEVEN.

We might also consider the case of the special cooling wheel rims, introduced last year by Mercedes to help their tyre management, which were in flagrant abuse of the rules surrounding aerodynamic parts. These wheels were permitted by the FIA despite the fact that once the other teams actually found out about them and complained, they allowed Mercedes to run them until mathematically safe in their championship tilts, and miraculously then Mercedes decided to state that they felt the wheels may be legal/illegal, and so in the interest of fairness, they would stop running them. How good of them, to cheat until they had won, and then stop. How ridiculous that they were not docked points for the use of such devices as punishment, or indeed, banned from races due to their use. We’ve seen how ferrari get penalised for avoiding a crash, yet Mercedes can repeatedly flout the rules (we haven’t even mentioned the illegal tyre tests and so forth) and are not even slapped on the wrist, let alone given a meaningful penalty.

If anyone here is unconvinced that the FIA, Liberty and Pirelli are not helping Mercedes maintain their dominance in F1, then I really can’t understand how you arrive at that decision, for me it’s very clear.

Juli, fil, stavura and 1 other person like this.
  15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Top five of what list buddy.... don’t be shy, tell us what you think, I think you are scared to say though.....

16. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Mmm, you might want to revisit your Wikipedia pages sunshine, I know you generally seem to have a different view of things to most people, but the above is just plain strange

stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Amen. Sid go to bed!

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  18. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Top five entertainer, weaver of tales, historical revisionist, and conspiracist par excellence.

william likes this.
  19. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Can’t complain about that.... you did forget ‘international Casanova’, top ‘bird bandit’, and general top five ‘personality most admired’

20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It was a bit late wasn’t it? Hehehe.... blame the leg, my sleep patterns are governed by the pain level at any given time.

375+ likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That was a way to go around the ban on additives in fuel.

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I think fundamentally it comes down to the overall team atmosphere. At Red Bull he was King. he came up through the organization and he was ultimately respected as almost a founding member of the winning team.

At Ferrari - its Ferrari that ultimately comes first. its great when you win, but the expectation is way, way too much. I think Adrian Newey is the other thing. Newey was / is able to design a car to exploit the driver vs. the driver having to change. Adapting to a new car is hard, so I think that is where Vettel has been struggling most. That and the constant change at Ferrari leadership cant make him feel good. the people he did his deal with are gone. ( he self manages ) ... so I think that is the crux of it. He's lost confidence and it shows.

william likes this.
  24. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Sorry, Sid, Ferrari were at it at least half a season before Merc. The 2018 smoke issue derived from an effort to get around the ban on the earlier version of the oil burn system. To repeat, Ferrari and Merc were nicked at the same time in 2017. I can't tell you how I know – an NDA is an NDA.

william likes this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

planetf1.com

Marko tells Vettel he should leave Ferrari

Date published: July 19 2019

Red Bull’s motorsport advisor, Dr Helmut Marko, believes Sebastian Vettel should leave Ferrari as he is no longer himself.

Vettel’s woes continued at the British Grand Prix after another mistake led to a crash with Max Verstappen. He would go on to finish a lap down in P16 and is now 100 points behind World Championship leader Lewis Hamilton.

Marko feels Vettel’s mistakes are coming from him being in the wrong environment at Ferrari and thinks he should change team.

"You make mistakes when you are no longer sure of yourself," Marko said via Auto Bild.

"It happens in the subconscious.

"Sebastian would have to be in a different environment. In order words, change the team. But I see no way for 2020."

Red Bull’s team manager, Jonathan Wheatley, has also weighed in by suggesting that Vettel does not receive the unconditional support he requires to succeed.

"Sebastian is a very intelligent, sensitive and warm-hearted man," Wheatley said about Vettel’s character.

"You can tell by how loving he is to his wife and his children. Or the fantastic speech he delivered in honour of Charlie Whiting at Silverstone.

"He’s not such a tough guy like Michael Schumacher or Fernando Alonso, who were always able to perform. Sebastian is a driver who has to feel unconditional support.

"He had that with Red Bull. And he probably doesn’t have it at Ferrari."

daytona355 likes this.