mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 113 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    As far as a vehicle to make you feel special I say most assuredly yes but it all depends where you happen to be. Keep reading please

I’ve owned 4 vettes. 3 of them were old and on a whim 10 years ago I bought a brand new one. I rarely frequented Corvette forums but I would read a lot about the reaction some people would get from bystanders looking at their new Vettes. I really had my doubts but on a drive from So. Cal to a Dallas Cowboys game while stopping in some remote towns I got quite a reaction. Fairly similar to what the 328 gets today in the LA Area.

As far as pricing, 60k, that’s just amazing.

classic308, k wright and VAF84 like this.
  2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    The C7 was around 78k as shown on release in 2013.

That interior won’t come cheap

3. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    60 grand starting point is pretty outstanding.

But the looks and the interior..... they are an acquired taste. That backside and taillights are really poor. The engine bay looks good though. Wheels are meh.

It is what it is. Its a sports car for the masses. Nothing wrong with that but I think it could have been so much more with some different people looking at the styling.

thecarreaper and classic308 like this.
  4. FerrariF430boy

Sep 22, 2007
    orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    gustavo
    Keep that car. With the specs the c7 ZR1 has, you really can't help but applaud GM with a nice sendoff before introducing the new C8.

I truly wish I never got rid of my C6 Z06 but that was truly a special car to me, with of course, a 3rd pedal to boot.

werewolf likes this.
  5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #2807 ralfabco, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    A year ago I test drove the Alfa 4C. Almost everything about the car was what I wanted. It appeared to somewhat come across, as a small modern Countach. During the drive I wanted to shift and engage the clutch. I did my best, to leave the dealership as fast as possible. No manual sealed the deal.

I will not buy a sports car without a manual. My DD econobox, is a manual.

No doubt the C8, is an excellent car and a bargain.

6. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    interesting colors. The bronze looks kinda neat. Understated. Not digging the red or yellow.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    Be careful with the doors open. That scoop will slice off your manhood if you aren't looking. I can't believe they got that design through. Looks downright dangerous to run into..

8. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    It's basically current Corvette pricing for a car that will apparently outclass it in performance. What's not to love there? Personally, I think it looks really good, though I'm curious to see the overall proportions in person or next to another vehicle. The interior is a bit odd, and I don't 100% love the back end (including the wing), but still a nice looking car.

And I'm really thankful that it has a dual clutch and not a traditional torque converter automatic. It's sad that there won't be a manual, but as someone else stated, I'm sure it's just not cost effective to design and produce two separate transmissions for the car--especially when you can get 0-60 in under 3 seconds with a dual clutch!

anunakki, rdefabri, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  9. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    You have to question why a similar Ferrari costs 300 grand. Yes, I know its not apples to apples but this is one hell of a lot of car for 60-80K

Mbutner, VAF84, SAT4RE and 4 others like this.
  10. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    Its a bespoke gearbox to this car. Knowing how many DCT's have failed over the years in other cars you have to question how well they can pull it off.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It's sharp with a great starting price & I wouldn't mind having one, but no manual transmission option is extremely disappointing.

Looking forward to the Grand Sport, Z06/7, ZR1 configurations.

VAF84 likes this.
  12. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    I agree they are creating a new class of car here.

For the average person working hard, paying taxes etc, this brings a super car feel to their reach.

Like I said in a previous post, median house driveways will be littered with them - that just isn’t a super car.

It’s a sports car for the masses which I applaud Chevrolet for.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #2815 darkkaangel, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Gotta say, I think overall GM did a great job.
    Is it perfect? No car is, but 495 hp,0-60 in 3 seconds with a base price of about $60k and the Z51 package typically is a $5-7k price so a Z51 model will have a base price under $70k proving many of the negative Nancy's around here wrong.
    Also look at this: Dry Weight (lb. / kg): 3366 / 1530, not over weight as also many had suggested it would be.
    It's an every mans mid engine super car, that is going to only get better with the high power versions that will come putting other super car makers on notice, I applaud it.

Complete list of released specs here:
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a28437032/c8-mid-engine-corvette-stingray-2020-photos-specs/

VAF84, SAT4RE, sainthoo and 7 others like this.
  14. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think GM did a great job and I'm not a corvette guy. The DCT is the way to go. The last manuals haven't been anything to write home about.
    I really dislike the black plastic vent facing on the doors but McLarens have cues like that too. Take the wing off and the back looks good too.
    Pretty exciting to have a mid engine HiPo car at that price point.

k wright likes this.
  15. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think it looks pretty good. Interior is much better, lots of color choices and appears to be customizable...

This will definitely draw many buyers who were considering like a used Audi R8, older 911 or other car in the 60-75 range. Ford and dodge should be scrambling.

Robb

VAF84 and k wright like this.
  16. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    and it only weighs 3300lbs. Big kudos for that.

17. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    I've heard 3450. Who knows? They all lie about it.

18. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I was interested, now no manual no interest.

ralfabco likes this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    A great car probably, but after being my whole life waiting for the mid engine Corvette and many interesting concepts, this "non descript" design is somehow disappointing.

energy88 and classic308 like this.
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    So...love it....but answer me this:
    They are going to sell this in UK-Eurozone, right?
    How does a NA 6.2L pushrod V8 pass all those Euro emission rules...but Ferrari and Porsche need turbos, hybrids, and GPFs to do it?
    Maybe time for the Euro engineers to come across the pond for a schooling?

of2worlds likes this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    On the configuration website, it’s an option to make those hideous black panels color keyed.

of2worlds and energy88 like this.
  22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think it's ugly, but this will destroy Porsche Cayman sales and maybe even eat into 911s.

mikelfrance, rdefabri and energy88 like this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I really like it a lot. As always I’ll wait to see it in person to judge. I’m sure it will be spring of ‘20 before dealers have inventory that isn’t spoken for. Here’s my initial thoughts:

1. Styling is overall good! Rear end has a tiny bit too much Camaro but the side profile is great. I really like how they hid the door handles. It’s aggressive and a great platform to build from for the hyper fast stuff.

2. I’m a bit underwhelmed by the engine stats. I was hoping for a 7500 rpm limiter and 540 hp from the base. 80 hp/l in 2019 when Ferrari got 125 hp/l from the 458 engine 10 years ago!

3. Performance sounds very good for the base. Not sure how GM is getting sub 3 second 0-60 times from a 500 hp car that weighs 3500 pounds. If they aren’t full of it, the Z06 could be a 2.5 second 0-60 car, and THAT would be something.

4. Did anyone watch the live reveal? Good God did they drag the corvette-space connection out. Chevy really does have the worst marketing department on the planet.