Bue, Bye 355? | FerrariChat

Bue, Bye 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, I'll have to take a good look but seriously thinking of selling my 355 and jumping into a 2020 Corvette. Been getting bored with the 355 lately. Already designed what I would consider. My 308 I'll keep.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Every and any pre mid engne Corvette just became worthless figuratively. As nice as it is and it's nice, I thought about waiting before I bought my 348, I don't want to be a vette guy. Be curious to see if there is a shift in vette guys or is different buyers like you enter the Vette market. You owned a Ferrari so you van check that item. Maybe it's a good time to take the plunge, why not! I bet your not the first to think that and I bet it does pull Ferrari driver's or future buyers.

Don't forget to wear your sun glasses upside down on the back of your head is all.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    As with any new Corvette, they are really nice and state of the art. But just be prepared to take a substantial monetary loss if you should decide to get out of it. At least you can be reasonably assured that your 355 should retain its current value. I know that may not be important to some, and I'm not sure I could ever get bored with my 355 but if you make the move its a decision only you can make. This C8 seems to of considerable value with almost 500 hp and mid engine for 60k, but as is typical the first year or two always has recalls/issues and the depreciation. I think that if I was going to get back into the vette game, I would trade up every year or two and just consider the costs to upgrade to be similar to keeping my 355 healthy. Although I believe it would be more dollars to keep doing that, at least I would always have a new car.

jimmym likes this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    That McLaren looks sick

6. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Keep your 355 and add the C8, it's variety that makes life interesting.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, this isn't a for sure move, and I would certainly wait a year or two until the bugs are out. Value isn't an issue. But sorry, the 355 just isn't doing it for me anymore. There were always some issues with it for me; interiors styling always sucked, the front end is a mess, and take away the door scoops and the car would be pretty ordinary looking. The F1 sound that many crave, I just find annoying. I much prefer the rumble of my 308 and for me the 308 (and 288 GTO) are the last classic Ferraris. That's the keeper for me. 34 years and counting. The 355 was a bucket list car. I did think I would keep it for life, but lately when I go to the garage I take the Cayman. And lately I've been taking the 308 to cars and coffee. Hadn't driven it for a while and I found it much more enjoyable that the 355. I just don't want to put the miles on it.

Oh, and FYI, DaveRcoks is already busting my balls on this. :)

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #8 Ferrarium, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Sure yes keep 345 and add a classic lambo and a new one, 2 Bentleys, 1 rolls, 1 McLaren and 2 Bugattis and maybe an R8 and the new Vette. :p

The 355 is great but it is also the also the overstated Ferrari. I wIil bet the C8 will cap 355 values. We'll see.

9. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Looks, sound, etc are purely subjective. But if this is your preference then you should get out of your 355. I had a 308 for 20 years, even with a Tubi I wouldn't call the exhaust note a "rumble", I always through it had just a slightly deeper sound than that fart box sound all the Nissan drivers have; certainly nothing special or exotic about the 308 sound and was always one of the primary disappoints I had with the car. But again, this is all subjective from person to person.

10. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    That kid is hilarious. His Dodge video had me crying!

11. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    You won't lose a lot of money on a new Corvette (especially compared to other new cars) unless you are holding it for 10+ years. You'd have to try pretty hard to lose $30k within 5 years which happens the second you drive off a lot in a new F-car. Comparing any new car to a 25 year old Ferrari isn't really a fair comparison. Especially if you calculate in maintenance costs.
    I'm not a Corvette fanboy, but it's hard to argue that they are the best "Bang for your buck" in the sportscar world.

VAF84 likes this.
  12. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Bring back Dave!

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    If you're bored by the F355 and annoyed by the sound I'm afraid we have nothing in common in regards to taste in sports cars.

Therefore my opinion is likely not relevant but sounds like you should dump the 355 no matter what you decide to get.

Shurik355, kenneyd and MAD828 like this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Definitely best bang for the buck that's absolutly true. Amazing performance.

As far as resale... You have not looked at 2015 stingray Vette process lately. I just did after reading your post, 20k drop. And after 10 years they are in the teens and go back 20 and they are $2500.

Saw some vettes sell at barrett few weeks back, they hold no meaningful value even few years on unless it's some special one.

All that aside get it, I doubt you will regret it even when the C9 comes out. It's a whole new ball game now mark my words.

VAF84 likes this.
  15. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Please sell your 355, get the vette and take your bashing to the Vette forums. But I suspect you'd just be busting down the 355 over there too. The opinions you expressed are extremely atypical, but you express them each and every chance you get.

climb likes this.
  16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #16 Ferrarium, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    It's amazing for sure but not everyone has to love it. Every 355 has been bought and sold many times, does not seem THAT uncommon a sentment. Clearly it was not the end all be all for tens of thousands of previous 355 owners?

I actually did not read him basing it btw. Not quite sure where you got that from, well from this post at least. Maybe more to it...

17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It doesn't sound like John is bashing it at all. We always want what we don't have.

He'll be back anyways. ;)

johnk... likes this.
  18. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Are we reading the same post?

"...interiors styling always sucked, the front end is a mess, and take away the door scoops and the car would be pretty ordinary looking. The F1 sound that many crave, I just find annoying."

phrogs likes this.
  19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    They had a few here at a studio here taking pictures. They look more japanese then euro or american in person. Lots like an NSX

jimmym likes this.
  20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Definitely read the same post. I hear you no one likes to be told thier baby is ugly. But still let's be objective here with this post.

"The car sucks and is an unreliable piece of ****e" that's bashing it's an opinion but it's also an inditement so it's therefore bashing passively aggressively at least.

What he said was his opinion, it's not an inditement of the car in any way therefore is not bashing as I read it at least.

The 355 interior... His opinion on that aspect is not way off base or anything btw it basicly was in the 328 so it was a bit dated design wise when it showed up in the 355. It's not some secret or anything like that, perhaps it's not tasteful to mention as it may offend other 355 owners though.

Clearly he has hit nerves, but it's still not bashing. In this post at least. Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sell the 308. Pretty car, but no power. Not that the 355 is fast compared with some of the new stuff out there, but it is still respectable.

22. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This is my last post on this thread. You clearly are the judge and jury here. His posts have BASHED the 355 for years.

Then people wonder why the 355 has a bad reputation. The vocal minority.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Can't sell the 308 Jimmy. It's a true classic. After all, it was the first 2 seat, mid engine Ferrari V8. It was the car that pretty much saved Ferrari, and consider that it was the main stay for 10 years, not counting the 328 update. It is the roots of the 288 GTO, 288 GTO Evo, and the F40. I love the connection to cars like the Daytona with all the toggle switches which were discarded with the 328.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Deadshort likes this.
  24. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    I think you've proven my point. In the world of Ferrari a $20k drop is a drop in the bucket. Even if you calculate depreciation by percentage the number is significantly in favor of Chevrolet (not including proper maintenance).

I agree the C8 will shift values away from C7 and older models solely because a new car will "only" be a $20-30k jump away from a lightly used C7 in the next five years, but I'm willing to make a gentlemen's wager that the C7 won't be in the teens in a decade.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Your on! The base model regular ole non special C7 absolutely will be in teens in 10 years if not teens real close.