mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 115 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think ultimately it will come down to fit and finish, and of course the sports car ride tactility.
    They clearly have the performance numbers nailed, the NA engine, the usability, I suspect the sound will be great, the looks (for me), the interior (except that huge screen is a turn off for me), and the price just can't be criticized.

Fit and finish.....that's what will make or break it.

I will definitely seriously consider a Grand Sport, possibly spider depending upon how they execute that.

With regards to how many you see at a light...who cares? How fragile is your pathetic little ego? It's meant to be fun...drive it, admire it, enjoy it...if you're worried about other folks having one then you have deeper psychological issues.

Mbutner, anunakki, of2worlds and 5 others like this.
  2. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Don’t you think it’s strange that they fixated on NASA!? What on earth does that have to do with Corvette cars?

Why not focus on their amazing racing heritage ?

What would a Ferrari launch look like?

People are fixated on the fact they’ve built a mid engine car.

Same Chevy cheap build
    Same bad customer service

The new vette will lead the way for other Chevy cars so the super car owners can enjoy the same interior as a Tahoe

If Hyundai built a mid engine car would that be held in same regard?

I owned a Vette and enjoyed it. But it’s no comparison I’m afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    all the early astronauts drove vettes. it was some kind of promotion. not so surprising pr dept would try to mine that relationship esp with the 50th moon landing anniv tomorrow.

Boomhauer, Phil~ and werewolf like this.
  4. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^^
    Oh my lord, WHAT is your point???
    Seriously? "If Hyundai builds a mid-engine car would that be held in the same regard?"
    I'm going to guess NO since Hyundai hasn't been building any sports car for 60+ years.
    Much like your hit and MISS on pricing, the connection between the space program and Corvette is WELL DOCUMENTED.
    If GM had talked about the racing heritage only, would you bust them for making the reveal a commercial? :rolleyes:

5. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Well, down here in Charlotte, I see very few Corvettes. 911's??? EVERYWHERE, literally

Boomhauer and of2worlds like this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think this is accurate.
    The cayman and ferraris etc have something vettes no matetr their performance have lacked, and that is a tightness and sense of precision. Possibly the me car has those attributes now too.

7. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    My point if it’s not obvious is that the new corvette is not competition for the high end sports car brands.

Just because the 0-60 times are low and it looks like a super car doesn’t mean it is one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nuvolari likes this.
  8. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Mid engined corvette is a waste of time. It's doing well being front engined already. People feel that you just drop the engine between the axles and behind the driver and all of a sudden it's a better car. Nope! They'll figure it out.

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Im loving this car the more I look at it. This is a GAME CHANGER. You can drive it and not have to baby it.
    Only once and a while do we have such a historical automotive event take place.

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I still think they should've kept the front engine as 'base' model at $60k and have mid engine top of the line at $100k. not sure old timers that cant ride a Harley any more are going to be happy getting in and out of midengined car. they will lose a big portion of the buyers due to ingress and egress

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    https://www.motor1.com/news/360672/c8-corvette-2020-chevy-debut/

Cool video. I really like the base white car, the red one, wtf with that wing. Yeah the interior is overdone and overwrought. Yes the 0-60 is as much about paddles as anything else. Its a cool car though, no doubt. Yes its a vette with the good and bad (including Gm interior quality), but probably a much better vette than before. Yes the performance numbers on each version will be exceptional, but theres more to it than paper numbers, regular porches dont have 911 turbo performance yet they sell plenty of them because its a complete package for what it is, just as the vette is what it us.

Stylisticaly the big compromise is see is the necessity of the rear trunk for golf clubs, that made the rear end large, and that big hatch, you just know that big ass hatch is going to jiggle around at high speed like the hatch on all corvettes do.

As for weight, just spent two days at the glenn. There were a few tracked out C6 zo6s, ie cars that were somewhat lightened, stiffened with cages and had coilovers, brake lines , brakes etc, in other words devloped cars starting of a really good and light platform, they were really quick. The new C7Z06s were in comparison real slow even on slicks, just too heavy to maintain pace or speed through corners lap after lap.. On a track like the glen 0-60 means squat, its speed between 50-160, braking consistently lap after lap and having grip last. In other words weight and precision is key. And weight as much as anything seperates Mcalren and GT3s and Gt4s from the others.

Still lets see what a lightened trackable version of the C8 can be for $120-150k. Is that car going to be better than a Gt3 or a used 600Lt, thats the big question if youre talking an exotic competitor, and a market vette abandoned with the c6 z06. The proche turbo on paper smokes a Gt3, on track the heavier turbo is nowhere.

Make mine with C8R bodywork, get the real wet weight down to 3200 or so lbs (Im being reasonable and realistic) and lets have that 650 hpTT batwing V8, im a buyer, seriously who needs an aventador. Will they build such a vette for under 150k, maybe if Gm lets the vette team do their thing. Oh yeah and get rid of the I-pad on the dash, seriously.

Its a cool car, hopefully they make multiple variations to satisfy different tastes, just as porche does with the 911, we may have to wait a few years though. One last thing, hopefully its a tight steering car and with precison responses(not a vette strong suit), as opposed to an overboosted steering with a really quick ratio, once again I hope the 911 was the target here. BTW drove an evora on track this weekend for 20 mins, the steering was way too light, and you couldnt adjust that. So its not like the other have it all right.

Lastly they look to have retained enough vette useability and comforts that I don't see the Me car alienating any traditional vette buyers. Seems like given the bandwidth of buyers a vette has to cover they handled the compromsies well and hit a sweet spot. I dont think ferrai will loose sleep, and its possible the new format will reach younger buyers.

95spiderman likes this.
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Ill be ingress and egress is no different to the fe car, its just one of the built in compromnises like a trunk for golf clubs, for which a price is paid elsewhere.

Agreed Keeping a fe car would have appealed to the current traditional vette/harley owner.

13. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Once you spend some time designing it on the app, you can add a few things to make it look better. Glad they didn't have that weird spoiler we saw previously. The design app had the base without a spoiler, and you can add the high spoiler with the aero package.

As someone else stated, the biggest thing left to figure out is its driving characteristics. The last Z06 I drove was a 2010, I used to rent it from Hertz during my downtime. It was fun to blast around in, but enjoyed the tightness of my Cayman S at the time, as well as some of the harder to describe differences in driving characteristics. More recently I test drove C7 Grand Sport when shopping for my F430, but it felt a little bit numb, then a modded used C7 Z06 that had so much power that I just couldn't enjoy driving it.

My hopes are that the mid-engine will make me feel better about driving closer to its limits, and that it will a maintain a visceral driving experience with an the NA V8 and sport exhaust. Hoping that there's a flat plane crank in the future!

Not sure I'm ready to trade out my F430, but it sure is tempting.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I dotn see it as a game changer, its a faster cooler vette, a really nice car, it changes the vette game and keeps it relevant for the comming genrations.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I agree with your coments on the comparative driving dynamics, and hopefully build is there. The layout you have in the pic simply looks stunning, who cares if the car is a derivative design, its great,

werewolf likes this.
  16. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014

Mmmm.... no. C7 sales have been in the toilet for a while. Chevy knows it has to make a car that appeals to younger buyers. They tried with the C7 styling but it didn't work. The C7 still seemed like an engineering throwback to the 80's.

17. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Who said the new Corvette IS competition for the high end brands? I certainly didn't and have NEVER thought it was. Folks that CAN afford Ferraris, BUY Ferraris. Ditto Lamborghini/McLaren/etc. I assume they buy these cars because they want them, you seem to be very hung up on what one's car choice says about them...(as others have pointed out to you in this very thread).
    You got the pricing DEAD WRONG, you brought up HYUNDAI, for goodness sakes, so no, YOUR point is NOT obvious.

18. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Lol, 8 speed dual clutch transmission. It looks just like a f430. lhd or rhd. That's not an exotic car IMO.

19. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
  20. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Sports car sales on a whole are not doing well. That's going to be hard to market in America, and they must know this, because they'll offer LHD and RHD. FR Corvettes are nice because they perfected the handling and it's more forgiving with mistakes and predictable.

21. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Who said it was (an exotic)?

Boomhauer and VAF84 like this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Agree 100%

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

I also have another theory...but don't want to get in to it too much given that it rapidly can devolve into P&R section...but....did you notice they might have had a little "image" problem with their presenters, all their key people standing up or on stage?....the "astronaut" component helped them with their "optics." :)

VAF84 likes this.
  24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Had a similar discussion with another F-Chatter, and it was strange. I'm not going to ramble too much, but GM (and Ford) are exiting the car business. They are rationalizing product lines based on contribution / profitability. The Mustang was a hit for Ford, especially in Europe where it is selling on par with the 911.

GM sees this, and has a car in the Corvette that generates a ton of publicity and has profit margins on par with their trucks (read: it's one of their most - if not THE most - profitable products in their portfolio). So if GM has an extremely profitable car, then the logical thing is to sell more of it. They've tapped the US / Canada market - we know they'll sell 30,000 - 35,000 units per year. But if they could sell 45,000 units per year (or more) - fantastic!

How do they do that? They need to continue to sell 30,000 - 35,000 units in NA, then find an adjacent market where they can sell 5,000 - 10,000 units. That's Europe. That's why it's mid-engined and available in RHD...

Purists can rail all they want, but that didn't help Cadillac or (for example) Harley-Davidson. The FE is dead - time to move on. The more I look at this thing, the more I like it. It reminds me of the Lotus Evora (not visually, but my view of it) - I think the Evora is kind of odd looking, but in person it looks cool. It's a fantastic performer and known as a supreme driving car, and because of that, it's desirable.

The sales numbers will tell the story - if it's a flop, they'll probably go back to FE if the line even sticks around. If it's a huge hit, then they did the right thing.

Dragster, anunakki and VAF84 like this.
  25. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    It's obviously being aimed at the exotic market.