Vettel plans to retire at the end of 2019 | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Vettel plans to retire at the end of 2019

Discussion in 'F1' started by 444sp, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I have a similar level of information to that which you infer, and Mercedes was well ahead of the pack when it came to oil burning, a fact confirmed as when their system came to light, the other teams were confirmed as actively looking into emulating it.

Bas likes this.
  2. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Sorry again, I'm sticking to what I've already said. I was in a very good position to follow what was going on in a professional capacity, hearing about it from someone with first-hand knowledge. I accept you have excellent contacts in the sport but, as far as I know, you do not work in it. And if you go back to these very forum pages from mid-2017, you will see there was plenty of back-and-forth over who was doing this first along with an awareness that when the FIA blew the whistle publicly, it was on both Ferrari and Merc. I'm not defending either, just saying you should leave the oil burning issue out of your larger Ferrari-persecuted-by-the-FIA (or Mercedes-favoured-by-the-FIA) theorising.

Bas and william like this.
  3. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Peter, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the illegal tyre testing (600 miles) by Mercedes in 2013. IIRC neither drivers or Mercedes were penalised ?

daytona355, Bas and 375+ like this.
  4. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Sorry mate, but I know what I know, if it doesn’t agree with your take on it, I’m not all that bothered. I know from a first hand source too

Bas likes this.
  5. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    Sorry, no idea – I have no involvement with anything to do with tyres.

6. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    #356 Peter Tabmow, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Hmm... would that be a neutral source?

william likes this.
  7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    No, definitely not. However, I have also spoken to others in the pit lane and I am well aware of the goings on with the specific modes under which the oil burning was phased.

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    He also owns a McLaren F1 road car which he purchased not terribly long ago (i.e. he paid well well into the 8-digits in USD terms).

Hope his taste in cars (and his buying prowess to be able to afford to indulge in the acquisition of said vehicles), doesn’t make you too terribly jealous . . .

9. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Good to hear he has finallly paid money for an F1.
    Little Lewis tried to get one for free as a bet with Uncle Ron. The bet didn't go Hamilton's way and Ron kept the car

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  10. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    It wasn’t a ploy of Lewis’s. Ron said that when Lewis wins TWO or THREE driving championships for McLaren, Ron will gift him the F1 LM Prototype road car (#XP1 LM) which has been retained by the factory since new.

11. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    Well, I can claim a genuinely neutral source (rare in F1, I know) who was directly involved in discovering what Ferrari and Mercedes were up to – and when. Moreover, I can be certain that you did not have access to this source. One of these days, you're going to have to accept that you are mistaken from time to time.

12. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Just read on Formula Passion English that Dr. Marko has told Vettel he should leave Ferrari. As pretty much expected, the Italian journalists and the team are probably not suiting his personality, and hence he makes mistakes.

william likes this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mercedes hid their system far better than Ferrari. Ferrari's system was really quite obvious.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ferrari is not for the mentally weak. If the car is great there is nothing to worry about as the tifosi know the results will come and a minor setback is just that. But a not so great car and too many mistakes? Better have a very thick skin.

Lewis would suffer badly in the same Ferrari. Mentally, he is not strong at all (even now in the best car by far, he still moans and cries when he's leading and someone is a little bit close to him...I can only imagine how he'd be like in the Ferrari the last 4 (or rather, 10!) years).

Kimi survived mentally as he can block it out easily. Alonso survived because of his supreme self confidence. Verstappen would, too. Ricciardo I imagine would survive also, purely because of his personality.

stavura, daytona355 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    [QUOTE="Bas Jaski, post: 146723534, member: 61826"
    Kimi survived mentally as he can block it out easily.
    Alonso survived because of his supreme self confidence..[/QUOTE]

Debatable all that.

The way I saw it, Raikkonen couldn't believe his luck to be re-signed by Ferrari, just a few years after being told to leave for lack of performance.
    But he adopted a pre-retirement mode, didn't criticise the car, or the team and accepted his Number 2 role willingly, just enjoyed the driving.
    Not a bad position to be in, since less was expected from him.

Alonso joined Ferrari on the assumption (on both sides ) that they were going to win championships together.
    When that didn't come, Alonso started intriguing with the management to sack the people he thought were responsible for the lack of performance.
    He lost patience and became restless to the point that Ferrari considered ditching him, and Learning that, he left.

The same scenario was repeated at McLaren.

ktu likes this.
  16. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Debatable all that.

The way I saw it, Raikkonen couldn't believe his luck to be re-signed by Ferrari, just a few years after being told to leave for lack of performance.
    But he adopted a pre-retirement mode, didn't criticise the car, or the team and accepted his Number 2 role willingly, just enjoyed the driving.
    Not a bad position to be in, since less was expected from him.

Alonso joined Ferrari on the assumption (on both sides ) that they were going to win championships together.
    When that didn't come, Alonso started intriguing with the management to sack the people he thought were responsible for the lack of performance.
    He lost patience and became restless to the point that Ferrari considered ditching him, and Learning that, he left.

The same scenario was repeated at McLaren.[/QUOTE]

Did Alonso also bring Pat Fry and Tombasis to the Ferrari team and together, they didn't produce the results expected (Per a friend in the Modena area).

Bas, william and daytona355 like this.
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

You are in the right ballpark - but the bet was on winning the WDC in his first year with McLaren.
    Told to me by a senior Mc exec.
    Ron was happy with the result :D

daytona355 likes this.
  18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    NOW we know who switched off the engine of Lewis in the last race!!! :p

SimCity3 and daytona355 like this.
  19. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    And I have sources within many of the teams, maybe you are going to have to accept that we both clearly have some information, and as is usual, some information is a bit late to the party. Why do you think you are the sage of F1 all of a sudden?, you seem to be more interested in trying to have a go at me than anyone cares about the situation you are proclaiming to be the guru of. It’s a shame, we could have likely shared privately some insights into things

20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    ???????? And yet I do buy the cars I want to buy, and have never lusted over a McLaren f1! Go figure. I’ve had plenty of cars Terra, many of which are no doubt on many people’s wish lists (including Bugatti’s and Ferrari’s and Lambos), I doubt that makes them jealous of me, and I sure have never been jealous of elton’s cars. Now, if he dated Britney Spears, I’d fight him! Hehehe

I think if you measure a persons success by the car they drive, then you are missing the actual value of the person themselves. Plenty of people have the means to do things others can only dream of, yet are acknowledged not to be the nicest or the best at something (terrorists also have nice cars sometimes), and many that drive what you and I might laugh at are actually among the worlds richest, or nicest, or most successful people (James Dyson, when I knew him a long time ago, despite living on a country estate and travelling by helicopter, owned an old Rover as a daily car, used by him and his Mrs to travel everywhere the helicopter wouldn’t take them)

stavura and Sig. Roma like this.
  21. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Actually, its an advantage when one has a few bob to drive around in an older vehicle, and not demonstrate to the world what you have.

22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely, I used to travel to pool events in an old Mercedes, rather than a ferrari or whatever I was driving at the time, as if I hustled someone, I wanted to be able to slip away, not give them the opportunity to put a £5k hole in my car just because I was trying to be flash!

Sig. Roma likes this.
  23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    My mate Jeff Bezos drives an Accord..;)

I asked him why he bought Honda ,he said he had thought about it for awhile then decided just to buy a car.

24. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I wonder whether his (ex)wife went after half of the Accord or whether she was already happy with half of Amazon

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Apparently 1 point can make all the difference

daytona355 likes this.