mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 118 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    Chevrolet contracts Alcoa for its chassis, Ferrari does as well... Chevrolet has magnetic ride, Ferrari did it afterwards.... If you look at both v8 mid engine cars on paper, Chevrolet just took a high end high price formula and made it accessible for the masses. Sure people will go back to pedigree, name, and pretty much all the marketing that is Ferrari. But, Chevrolet just made all those things alot less special....

VAF84, thecarreaper, Mbutner and 5 others like this.
  2. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Yep. Wait a bit. There will be dealers who will get you a car at MSRP.

thecarreaper likes this.
  3. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm not knocking the Vette but.....

In 1999 Ferrari introduced a 2 seat sports car with a Twin Cam normally aspirated V8 mid engine and with BOTH a Manual and F1 "paddle shift" box, all aluminum frame, aluminum body, power roof, glass over the engine, and enough space to put in luggage in the front and the rear that is still attractive today and even 25 years old sells for about the same price as one of these new. Then Ferrari created a special edition of it that is still a classic today.

It's nice Chevy finally caught up --with 1999.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TexasF355F1 and crinoid like this.
  4. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm not sure you have any idea what you're talking about. "Too loyal?" I don't own a single GM product, and only one American car...

So responses with facts backed up by the presentation make you think the car is going to fail? Are you sure that's not just your biased perception of GM and Chevrolet? Look at the responses on this forum--and many others--the reaction has been generally very positive.

By the way, all of Ferrari's rich racing history isn't helping them win in F1 right now. It wasn't too long ago that they were beaten 4 straight years by an energy drink manufacturer.

5. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    And people still have the option to buy one of those used, if they so desire. But that car--in 1999--cost nearly three times what the Corvette costs in 2019 (or rather, 2020). Sure you can get them for about the same price today, but people will have to weight whether or not the aesthetics of the 360 and the Ferrari brand are worth what it's going to cost to service and maintain the car because, objectively, the 2020 Corvette is likely to outperform it in every conceivable way. Not to mention, the 360 won't have a warranty or many of the modern conveniences and features the Vette will have.

It's a ridiculous argument really. For all intents and purposes, Ferrari and Chevrolet are not competing for customers. Sure, there may be the odd few that will opt for a used Ferrari over a new Corvette, but it's simply not a market that I suspect either manufacturer cares about.

6. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    Its not an argument. Its a statement of fact. Chevy saw something 20 years ago and decided to make something to compete with it.

And, price should not be the only reason to buy something. In fact there's nothing wrong with selling something at a high price if you can.

7. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The 1999 360 was $140,000 MSRP ($240,000 in today's money) as compared to the C8 at a base price of ~$60,000 with comparable performance if not better than the 360. What's not to like? I think GM has hit a home run on this one.

8. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #2933 jimmyb, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    ^^^^
    This is a laughable comparison. The Modena was really cool car then and it is today. And it would get run off the track by a C8 (thank goodness the 2020 C8 doesn't PERFORM like 1999 360)....It is a 20 year old Ferrari...that requires engine out service, etc...to sit here and act like 360/C8 is equitable because both can be had for approx. the same money is a fools game.

And by the way to mikelfrance….
    You are dead wrong about GM's intentions with the C8. They have never, even once, said they're going to make a Ferrari clone or Ferrari competitor. They stated, years ago, that the front engine platform was at it's end, performance wise (in their opinion). Yes, they benchmarked the 458 and 488 along with the 911 Turbo S and others, but they made a CORVETTE...with engine in a new location. To read ANYTHING else into this is simply your agenda.

Boomhauer and Mbutner like this.
  9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The 360 doesn't require an engine out service. It would help if you know what you're talking about. Not a Ferrari owner, I'm guessing.

crinoid likes this.
  10. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #2935 jimmyb, Jul 19, 2019
    Kind of snappy little reply don't you think? A simple "that's not correct" would do.
    My mistake, I was thinking of a friend who has a 360 and a 575...the 575 requires engine out.
    And no, I am NOT a Ferrari owner and never will be.

11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2936 mello, Jul 19, 2019
    Try again. The 575 also does not require an engine out for cam belt maintenance either. :D:D:D:D

12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I think he was saying that the 360 NOW sells for the same price as this NEW Vette.

13. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Then my friend is a liar....

14. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't think so. He probably was lied to and got taken by his mechanic for a ride.
    I don't think so. His mechanic probably has a late boat payment to make. :D

crinoid likes this.
  15. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    Who says I dislike it?

But for all the hoopla about how Chevy has "finally done it", I think someone finally did it for them 20 years ago.

TomAZ likes this.
  16. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I've owned plenty of Chevrolet's, and i've owned plenty of Ferrari's.

If i were to choose between a 20 year old 360 (F1 trans) and this new Corvette ... for about the same price ... the new Vette wins hands down. It isn't even close.

(and the F1 360 was my first real love affair with Ferrari)

Dragster, k wright and Boomhauer like this.
  17. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    Who is comparing the two? I am only stating HISTORICAL FACT. The C8 is following the footsteps of those who went this way before it.

18. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    Wow people are really missing the point. Ferrari could not sell the 360 today. Its obsolete. But it IS the package Chevy finally copied 20 years later.

That is the point. And the 360, which borrows a lot from the 246 Dino, has its styling still echoing in Ferrari 2 seat cars today.

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    C8 compared to 360 Modena? Let’s get real here. Might as well compare an IPod to a CD player. They both play music, but not much beyond that....

Dragster, jm2, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  20. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Everyone building a 2-seat, mid-engine 8-cylinder car is not necessarily "copying" the Ferrari 360.

But Chevy is leveraging this platform more cost-effectively than Ferrari has ever done.

VAF84, Phil~, qvpower and 4 others like this.
  21. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    Wow some of you guys just like to argue.

Who said it was "a copy". I said it was all done 20 years ago. And I said a good 360 today still costs about the same as this car does new. Both of those are facts.

And somehow that's controversial? Really?

We are all applauding Chevy for doing something Ferrari did 20 years ago. Good for them. They made a great version of a format. But its not like they haven't seen it before.

22. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Who said it was a "copy"? You did.

Try to stay focused ...

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Folks are “arguing” because while your premise is true, it’s completely irrelevant. See the iPod/ CD player example.

I’ve been on this board almost 15 years. At one point every post was respectful and about the passion for Ferrari.

Lately, as I check in less frequently it’s a lot of holier than thou “are you an owner? Oh, just a 308?” Or other similar snark. It’s a huge turn off and makes Tifosi look awful.

Back on topic, the 360 is basically a classic car at this point. The fact that it was able to provide a similar chassis, and multiple transmission options (because the market demanded it at the time) is again completely apples to oranges. Ferrari’s are SUPPOSED to be special. The fact that GM “caught up to them” ever is impressive, using your logic.

Dragster, jm2, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  24. mikelfrance

Apr 15, 2014
    You do see the word PACKAGE right? They copied the PACKAGE (aka "the format"). The PACKAGE is not the car. Its THE PACKAGE. I find it hard for you to see it as you copied and pasted it.

25. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Ferrari didn't do it 20 years ago ... because Ferrari's version was way more expense, and didn't perform nearly as well.

In terms of hp per dollar, or time-to-sixty per dollar ... Chevy isn't "copying" Ferrari, Chevy is light-years ahead! Ferrari has a LOT of catching-up to do, as soon as you factor in price.

Boomhauer likes this.