1975 Blu Scuro | FerrariChat

1975 Blu Scuro

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ben Pratt, Jul 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ben Pratt

Ben Pratt Rookie

Sep 9, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Was Blu Scuro offered for the 308 GT4 in 1975? Was it metallic or non? Still trying to match paint from the inside door panel; the exterior had been sprayed silver in later years. Is there a recipe to follow?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Ben from the samples I have the top won’t photo well
    Blu 20 A 185
    Middle
    Bleu Montecarlo 20 A 548
    Bottom
    Azzuro cielo 20A547

crinoid likes this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Let me offer advice, as I sold a car that turned out to have a "rare" Ferrari color from 1976 -77.

They ended up exposing the largest sample they could and then "color matched" to shade of a modern car rolling down the road.
    Once done it will be incredibly unique, and no one is going to come along and say "Is that a Subaru color??"
    :D :D

Trying to match antique paint with modern systems is a black art, and unless you are sacrificing a chicken or something, it rarely works out.
    Save the chickens!!

We fry them for Sunday.....

The paint sample books are very valuable (thanks for the post above!) but they only show "stock" color range, and then as know, you could say "Match my gf lips, Revlon #65" and they would do it, for money.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Codes and formulas between years and brands is just a rabbiit hole.

Some restorers of course well earn their money, by knowing the ropes.
    But they are $$$.

JCR likes this.
  5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Might have been Blu 20-A-185, see here at about between one third and half of the page:
    http://www.308-328.com/308/308specstyl.html
    Rgds

ragtop1 likes this.
  6. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I am pretty sure Blu Scuro was non-metallic. Body shop should be able to look up the formula using the paint code. Glasurit used to offer this online but have not been to their site in a long time. As noted above this formula would be a starting point and would likely need to be tinted to match your sample. Modern paint systems often produce a slightly different shade to the original due to different chemicals in use today.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The Ferrari paint provider in 1975 was not Glasurit, but Glidden-Salchi. Glasurit took over from Glidden (Salchi) at the beginning of 1981, more or less (i.e, not exactly at the same time) with the changeover from carbed to injected 308s.
    Rgds

8. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I must wholeheartedly agree. I open countless hours trying to match the color for a '66 E-Type. A local paint shop had the paint chip for it. When they mixed the paint incorrectly several times (after trying to match to the chip ) the next time it matched the chip perfectly. That is of course because they tried of me and painted the chip. I stumbled on a car that will be close enough to the ODG, just don't tell anyone that it's a Mustang color.

Lester

9. Ben Pratt

Ben Pratt Rookie

Sep 9, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Thank you all for the input. Beverly Hills Ferrari suggested I check with PPG who might be able to pull a new sample based on old Glidden-Salchi recipes. Fortunately they have a location nearby in L.A. I will visit today - then probably bang my head against the wall later.

10. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Blu 20 A 185 was also called commercially Blu Scuro either for GT4 or GTB (I know a GTB with that colour from the origin).
    It is an opaque colour, different from the Blu Scuro Dino (20-A-357)

BTW BigTex, in 1975, reference 65 did not exist in 1975 in the Revlon catalog. She appeared early 80.

absostone likes this.
  11. Ben Pratt

Ben Pratt Rookie

Sep 9, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I ultimately called https://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Home (800-647-6050), chose "Library" from the menu and told Ryan at the other end of the line what I was after. His records returned "Blue Sera, PPG code 190309, or OEM code 504C". He couldn't find any "Blue Scuro" in his database - he searched by color name. Nevertheless, I gave the PPG code to my paint guy to run a sample which I should have in the next day or so. I'll let you know how it looks.

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Best if u could find another car in that color and either scan or get the formula from them. Took me 15 plus yrs to find my avorio. Thx to 308nut

NoGoSlow likes this.
  13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Btw. I’m sure the color x references to another make. Problem is it is unknown unless you have a scan from something

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  15. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I realize that just thought Glasurit might have the color on their site that may be a starting point. Which they do.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, same name, but is it the same color, that is the question. What is in a name? "blu scuro" means "dark blue", which is very vague, almost as would be "dark gray"; there are hundreds of nuances of "dark blue".
    Question: is it the same color: "Blu Scuro" as given by Glasurit and "Blu Scuro" as given by Glidden Salchi? Note that the reference in the table is "FER 501, 1981-1983". That is a Glasurit reference: it could be the same "Blu Scuro" as the one from Glidden Salchi, or not...
    There are at least fifteen different Reds named "Rosso Corsa", for instance; and any modeller here might know the dilemna about certain colors such as "Olive Drab", or the British "Sky, type S"; or the U.S Navy 1942 "Blue Gray", etc...

The same name does not necessarly mean the same color; and an identical color might have two different names. We would only be sure if the manufacturers had matched their colors to any international color reference system such as Pantone, Federal Standard, RAL, British Standard, or even better: Munsell. And had published that reference.
    Here is one example: how to define the dark blue used on the american flag, usually called "insigna blue". With this you can "reasonably" be sure.

http://www.perbang.dk/rgb/2A3141/

Without this, what would be useful, that is if Glidden Salchi had such a thing, is the enamel sample (baked) that the manufacturers usually keep in very dark places, to avoid degradation, and serve as a reference point.
    Without these, well...my guess is that the Glasurit sample might serve as an acceptable reference point; but personally, I would trust the samples from Absostone in post #2 more...
    If the car was indeed painted "Blu Scuro", that is....

Rgds

17. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    To be more precise, the Blu Sera is the metallic version of the Scuro.

I would go as kiwiokie recommend, it is a good starting point. It is the same problem when people want to re-paint the Azzurro. The Glidden Salchi colour code are unknown so they go with Glasurit even if the shade is slightly different.
    Blu were popular in the 70's even if some car later being resale red paint.

The Blu Scuro from that period, is the 20-A-185 also know as "Blu Ferrari" for the 330.
    If you only have PPG, I would go to the 2.666.901 Blu Caracalla which seems to be the closest but PPG was not use on 308 so you might have some shade difference.

18. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Trouble is the OP needing the match is in Los Angeles and absostone is in Chicago.

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ben is your car going to strip to bare metal? did you check for original behind the door panels? back side of hinge covers? under front windshield trim?

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008