The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    I agree, but that's only one segment of the market, and doesn't represent the whole picture of where to invest the $60-80k when shopping for a new, or new to me, high performance sports car.

2. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

Actually the car they revealed has that fixed rear wing on it and the trim was black plastic. The picture shown by the OP is much more flattering.

3. J30022

J30022 Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeff P
    Lagunascorpio brings up a lot of great points and looks like he was a serious potential buyer of a 360/430 until the C8 and is now one less person in the market. It won’t take many more like him to have a negative effect on demand for used 360/430s. Ferrari is a luxury brand and brings out emotion but people in general make trade offs with large ticket purchases. The 360/430s are getting fairly old and the Ferrari factor is somewhat countered by the cost and hassle to obtain one which usually includes a PPI, a plane ticket to see it, and significant uncertainty of future repair bills.

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You stick shift guys are crazy. I couldn’t care less about having a stick shift. To me it’s the same logic as not wanting power steering and power brakes. F1 cars don’t have a stick shift.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The C8 will definitely affect some Ferrari resale values. There has NEVER been a US mid-engine option that wasn't a Ford GT costing an arm and a leg before this.

But which ones? Let's put it this way:

I'm selling my 308 to get one, but keeping my 360 manual, so I'm betting all F1 Ferrari V8's will be adversely affected: 355, 360, and 430.

The transmission problems on all GetRag Ferraris, 458 and later, are just starting to become known. So, barring an independent solution to head off the $25K+ out of warranty expense of a transmission implosion (Ferrari is NOT ALLOWED to work on those transmissions), that would include the 458, 488, and F8 (so far). But those will be more affected when the high performance versions are out.

Now new cars and Ferrari's push into hybrid systems. How many would just rather have the simplicity of a NA V8 instead of all that complicated and fragile electrical wizardry? So yeah, Ferrari may very well lose some new car sales to the C8 when the Z06 and ZR1 versions hit.

Some guys just must have a Ferrari - I'm one of them - but many more just want a mid engine sports car, and a Chevy is a much less intimidating proposition than a Ferrari.

This car is the proverbial game changer. Should I get Batman center caps? :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

randkin, greg328, Kevin Rev'n and 5 others like this.
  6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    This is Chevrolet's first mid engine Corvette.
    When I was knee deep in Porsches, I was ecstatic when they took their first IndyCar to the track.

Turned out they had a lot to learn.

E60 M5 likes this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Don’t get me wrong I love Ferrari design history exclusivity.

however if this new entry can beat or match new f car performance ... i will have a hard time paying 3x for history and exclusivity.

The real value to me is performance and style... then value... then the other stuff.

I hope this car pushes f and l makers to the next level so we all win!

Agree hybrid / turbos and conv engine in one car is too much complexity. Good for 3 years.. then trouble.

houtie123, VAF84, brookliner7 and 2 others like this.
  8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

In response to Brookliner7, I have to disagree with the analogy there. Perhaps I’m an outlier, but I’ve had the opportunity to buy some nice watches, but since I began using my Apple Watch I’ve passed. It’s too practical and useful. I’ve got a Tag I spent a few K on and have no clue where it is. Sometimes I think of wearing it, but don’t want to go without the utility of the AW.

This applies to cars. Someone mentioned the changes to exotics that are eliminating their uniqueness. Adding the Turbos, potential hybrids, all have matching performance, etc. Ferrari is already beginning to lose a big part of the appeal which is the Sound. I was mesmerized by the sound of a 355, 360, and 430. It began to taper off with the 458, and more so with the 488. The transmissions are all DCT now. No more manuals. It’s getting down to differentiation by driving characteristics. However, with everything becoming electrified and automated... how do you differentiate outside of styling. And at what point to do you pay a heavy premium for subtle styling differences? Heck, the C7 got my attention when I saw how similar it looked to me compared to an 812. Now we’ve got an exotic looking, mid engine car, with a removable top that plays all the parts; GT car, race/track car, and convertible. This is the Apple Watch to the exotic mid engine market. I fully expect an impact to the resale value of my F430.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

catdog likes this.
  9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #59 LightGuy, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    I was wanting to add a 360 cs or scud to the Boxer. I might have to sell a 996 Gt2 and add some money. Or I could buy a c8 and keep the gt2 and have the best of both worlds. IMO the gt2 is almost as special as a cs or scud. Sill there is something unique about Ferrari. How much is that worth plus the extra miantenance ?
    IMO the c8 is a game changer for corvette and anything from $60 to 120k should be very afraid

PS never had a vette before

one4torque and G. Pepper like this.
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Surprisingly— the introduction of the c8 will make 360 drivers look like ballers... “look at me I can afford to maintain this old f car even with new better performing lower cost options out there”....

But passion comes in many forms.

For me it will come down to my impressions in person— visually, sound, and driving impressions.

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I drove the new NSX and have a gen1 one. I LOVE THAT CAR! Its in the goldilocks zone between corvette and ferrari. I didnt know about the discount till now. Hmnnnn...

espvh likes this.
  12. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    You have to understand there's no logical practical argument I could ever give you to persuade you to want to purchase a Rolex over an Apple watch.

An apple watch is practical...functional.

People are not looking to purchase Corvettes and Ferraris out of practicality, these are purchases out of passion and emotion.

I'm not so sure the "practical" cheaper z06 impacted f12 sales or resale...people want what they want.

I hope prices do come down though...wouldnt mind getting a beater f430 to daily drive :)

I can see myself getting a C8 1-2 years down the road off the used market...cant lie, pretty excited to drive one.

VAF84, E60 M5 and one4torque like this.
  13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Brook- WERD

14. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    Anyone worried about the c8 impacting F430 values/desirability needs to spend less time with their hands on the keyboard and more time with their hands on their steering wheel.

I had a c6 Corvette and still own a c5 track car. I think that gm has a very nice offering with the c8 and its definitely breaking the internet with the hype, but after a few hundred miles on my F430 I don't think the c8 can match the sound/feel/experience.

catdog, Zed82, Dicecal and 2 others like this.
  15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    My prediction:

For the "I want a 430, or a Gallardo, or McLaren, or NSX, or..." buyer its going to be an option. And then when every nitwit and his mom has one.. and they will just like the C8. Then they'll add another "exotic" to the stable. It's midengine, its affordable, but in the end it's a Corvette. When you want a Ferrari. You want a Ferrari. Won't do a thing to the used market because the same guys were going to buy an NSX or Gallardo or McLaren anyway. Gonna tell all the guys about how C8 beats the pants off exotics, but it's not an exotic and as humans we want what we don't have.

My other prediction:
    With all the hype everyone is expecting it to do many things. Novelty and ubiquitous are two different animals. It's hot now... but just give it some time. Remember the GT-R? Gonna be the same way with with this one.

houtie123 and brookliner7 like this.
  16. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    So, a Chevrolet.....is an exotic? Hmmmm.

KC360 FL likes this.
  17. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    So, a Chevrolet is an.....exotic?

18. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    The Cayman GT4 is comparable to a well optioned base c8 and there wasn't much commotion about that impacting the F430 market. And it's a proven car from a premium manufacturer.

Everyone's just infatuated with the c8 clean sheet redesign. When they pump out 20-30k (40k?) per year it will feel like a c7 from a rarity/eyecatching perspective.

vrsurgeon and brookliner7 like this.
  19. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    Anyone choosing an older exotic over quantitatively-superior modern alternatives is crazy/obsessed (to say nothing of us nutters who argue about them on an internet forum).

The only reason to stick with an older exotic is to obsess over the little qualitative delights that they provide that modern cars have abandoned in pursuit of their rational superiority. Delights like a (surprisingly) slick-shifting gated-manual that literally no manufacturer seems likely to ever produce again (ignoring $1M+ limited-edition specials).

Some people seem to have that same affinity for single-clutch F1, and more power to them. After all it's cheaper at the moment, and no one's making those anymore, either. . .

20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    And their #1 goal is lap time. Not so much the #1 goal of a street car.

That being said I would also rather watch vintage F1 than anything current.

aseweepay likes this.
  21. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    #71 Lagunascorpio, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    “Inclusion” is all the rage now.

The C8 identifies as exotic, lol. Who am I to judge.

22. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    Despite obvious performance prowess, I personally have never found any Porsche other than GT3 RS to be “exotic” nor attractive (esp the sound), so that particular car wasn’t even on my radar.

While performance is very important, the overall aesthetic & sound is also a big part of what I seek.

I’m quite confident that had it not been for the emergence of the C8, I would have been the new owner of 03 True Blue’s F430 instead of Azzuribaggio.

That car was almost exactly what I had been waiting for, and local to me. I simply couldn’t pull the trigger until I knew what the C8 was going to be.

greg328 likes this.
  23. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    While I have a 360, I also have some customs and street rods. I remember when the Plymouth Prowler came out. It was all doom and gloom predicted for the street rod builds. It was believed that nobody would want to spend significantly more money to build a Deuce Coupe, a custom roadster or anything anymore when the Prowler was better, cheaper and warrantied.

Not many guys have a Prowler at the street rod get togethers. Most barely remember them.
    But there's still plenty of hand built street rods.

It's a connection. It's an appreciation for the details. And no matter how nice the C8 is or how fast it is, or however better it is, Chevrolet still builds it. And their history of so many other pedestrian offerings will always hinder their ability to portray the image of an exotic car company. That's probably not a fair assessment. But it is what it is when you are a company that builds one of everything.

24. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    F1 cars don't have DCTs either. There's nothing in common between the two besides being controlled by two paddles.

INTMD8 likes this.
  25. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    I absolutely agree... but there is some heavy irony dripping from this concept :)