F430 Spider - Upgrading to sport exhaust | FerrariChat

F430 Spider - Upgrading to sport exhaust

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Jul 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Morning gents..looking for some guidance / insight from the big brains on here. My F430 is a 2017 with ~ 20K miles, and I live in Florida. Last weekend, my car threw a CEL while driving. All seemed fine, and when I took the car into my indy, he checked, and indicated it was indicating a sensor fault emanating from Catalytic converters that were getting clogged / going bad. After some research, he suggested that he would upgrade the pipes to the sport exhaust (he was able to get a great deal on a take off set from another state).

In doing this change, he said there would be no CC's anymore, so the exhaust would flow more smoothly, and would also be less hot...so, also possible that the headers last longer than normal prior to the dreaded cracking. He also said the exhaust note / sound would be louder, but definitely should not drone and/or be annoying. Said it would simply be more ferrari like.

Anyway, I trust him explicitly, but wanted some insight from people on here that perhaps have done same. thanks in advance.

2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I think it all depends on what brand of aftermarket exhaust you choose and whether or not you choose full exhaust or just headers, etc. I pondered this for more than a year and finally went with a full IPE exhaust (Innotech). I definitely prefer the sound over the stock exhaust, but was surprised at how much louder it got as the 200 cel cats wore in. It came with a remote to control the bypass valves, but to be honest I cruise most of the time with the valves closed. I did take the car to an event 4 hours away with my wife in the passenger seat and it was not overbearing on the freeway.

There are almost too many threads to count on aftermarket headers for the 430 and from my perspective too many posts from owners who found the more common header OEMs too loud for their liking, which is why I choose the Innotech. Also, I've seen some posts where aftermarket exhausts threw CELs (the IPE exhaust did not).

At the end of the day, it boils down to personal preference on sound quality & how much attention you want every time you drive away from a stop light.

BTW, did you mean to say "2007 F430" vs. 2017?

pilotoCS likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    we now have a tubi resident here...i wld ping them to as i believe tubi makes the sport exhaust

Tubi Sales likes this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks much for the quick feedback als, yes, typo, '07 car. As for the exhaust, sorry I was not more clear he's leaving the stock headers for now, and installing a Ferrari OEM sports exhaust

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I would think that you will assuredly throw a constant CEL with no cats as the ECU’s search for the correct signals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    #6 cole328, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    aargh....that would likely be very annoying, but at least with the cats gone, I will know its simply a meaningless light.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    As i read it you have had one code, what happens after you reset it. The system can throw codes now and again and is part of the car and nothing to worry about.
    What makes you think the cats are going bad or getting blocked ? If you are getting persistent codes try changing the sensors from one side to the other and see if the fault follows the sensor.
    I think you can test the lamda sensors but maybe someone more up on this can advise.Or fit a new sensor as not an expensive job if you get the bosch number.

In regard to the manifold cracking i have never heard this being related to the CATS or the flow/heat. Do you have the original exhaust brackets or the capristo type.

The exhaust gets very little cooling air flow at low speed so it will be hot- if you look under the car it only has 2 small air scoops in the undertray, this is why it is not a good idea to rev the nuts off it at low speed, high revs and low speed equals next to no exhaust cooling.
    Also not allowing the exhaust to get hot before using higher revs can get fuel on the sensor and a code- if the sensor is hot the fuel will flash off

8. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #8 TheCook, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    I have stock mk2 headers and the OEM sports exhaust on my 2005 F430. The sports exhaust fits on to the stock cats, ie you don’t remove them - see pic. Louder than stock with valves open, same when closed, no CELs, removes the load from the headers, 8 kgs lighter and the weight is lower. Win win in my book.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    why didnt you go with hiflow cats?

10. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    really? i have capristo high flow - dont think theyre too loud but have never measured them

12. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    A lot of owners run O2 Spacers to help alleviate the chance of getting a Check Engine Light caused by removing the Catalytic Converters. It's not 100% but I would say a good 75-80% of owners who use O2 Spacers are pretty happy with them.

Just make sure to check the exhaust brackets. If your using the standard OEM brackets the chance of your manifolds cracking is still there.

13. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks all...

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Some good smart phone apps that will measure DBs well

15. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Tracks test at 1m at 6000rpm as well as drivebys on track. My current setup just squeaks under 105db which is why I haven’t considered sport cats (200 cell). My car is putting out 530bhp with current mods and is 100kg lighter than stock. Sport cats would probably improve both those numbers but possibly at the expense of being able to track it, which is my primary purpose for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk