leather conditioning: Lexol vs Leatherique | FerrariChat

leather conditioning: Lexol vs Leatherique

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by 67bmer, Jul 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    The mid-Atlantic had a little heatwave so I decided to condition the seats in my Cayenne.

I recently had a new top and cover installed on my spyder and the place said I needed to condition the cover to prevent it from shrinking several times a year. They recommended Lexol or Meguiares conditioners. So I bought some Lexol and applied it to the cover and let it sit for a couple days. The photo shows lower portion where applied, before wiping off with a damp microfiber towel. I have been using Leatherique as my "leather system" for several years on all my vehicles. I also have a post showing the results. I have not tried the Lexol before and thought this would be an interesting experiment.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I decided to do a comparison between the Leatherique and Lexol on my cayenne seats and headrests.

Before. I will say, that I am sure the facing material is different than the material on the sides of the headrests. Probably manufacturers trying to save money. So I did not treat the sides.

Step-1 apply with a brush. There are many discussions about leather on the internet! Some suggest that leather in cars might have a plastic layer that prevents penetration, etc. I can say that on several vehicles I notice the Leatherique Rejuvenator oil gets fisheyes when applied. In other words, it does not completely wet the surface. The Lexol did not.

Step-2 cover with plastic wrap and let stand in the heat for several days

Remove plastic

Step-3 wipe off with a microfiber towel.

Results -
    #1 I can discern no difference whatsoever in the suppleness of the leather between the Leatherique Rejuvinatior oil and the Lexol conditioner or before and after application.

#2 I am unable to determine if any product was absorbed by the leather or it made any difference.

I don't know if there is anything special about Leatherique Pristine Clean or if it is just a strong detergent like 409, Awesome, etc. But the real magic of the Leatheriq "system" is the cleaning action of Pristine Clean! You can get dirty grungy leather and the stitching looking virtually new.

After cleaning my seats, armrest and wringing out the towel this is what the water looked like! I don't think the headrests were dirty but were easy to show the process I used. I will follow up with a before/after of the armrest. It looks nearly new. I have noticed that the leather looks significantly better several days after cleaning with the Pristine Clean. Without question the leather is cleaner! How much of the discoloration of the water is grime and how much is from the products, I can not say. The seats and armrest are significantly cleaner. Suppleness, I can not discern a difference between the two products or before/after with either.

I will probably continue to use both. Maybe alternate between the two. I did not get the "miracle" improvement that so many products claim. I am tempted to try Griot's Leather Rejuvenator.

2. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
  3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

Great post. Thanks for sharing your findings.

4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Porsche leather (and the vast majority of automotive leather) is coated. Leather conditioners won’t get absorbed by coated leather.

Racer_X likes this.
  5. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Just watched the video that was posted on YouTube and linked here about the Leatherique, and the narrator explained that the impermeable coating thing is a myth.

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have used both products. My impression is that Leatherique is for seriously distressed leather. It is much more laborious to use. No ill effects that l noticed. But l did not do a comparison test.

So l would only use Leatherique as a last resort. My $.02.

7. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I can speak about the Lexol cleaner, and the conditioner, and I have used it for 30+ years now. Have never had leather issues in any vehicle including my previous 360. Also still have my original leather sofas ordered from Italy back in 1992 made from a higher grade of leather. They still look like new with zero wear or issues. I even placed one of them in my rental house for a friend to use, and he thought it was a recent purchase. The leather was cleaned at least yearly and always conditioned, and has survived every sort of stupid human and pet :)

I just ordered a leatherique set to try, so will see how it goes. Will not wait 25 more years to post about it :) (I still have and use Lexol products)