The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I do wonder about the engine bay trunk space they put in there. I mean how hot do you think that sucker gets and I am supposed to put the top in there?

Robb likes this.
  2. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    It might actually impact Gallardo sales, they're both sort of objectively good looking but not really a cohesive design so they might both look good to the same set of eyes.

Although I guess you could say the same thing about the F430 since it's a 360 body with a handful of Enzo design language elements awkwardly grafted onto it.

ksccts and Manda racing like this.
  3. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I'm not sure it will affect Ferrari that much in Europe. I have said elsewhere it'll be an £75k - £80k car base price here.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    "Despite the fact that the motor is now behind the cabin, there is space carved out even further back for a small trunk, designed to fit the C8's removable targa top."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28450300/2020-chevrolet-corvette-cargo-storage/

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    One thing's for sure. Be ready for nearly every new C8 owner pulling up next to you in your Ferrari and wanting to race. It's all part of the Corvette owner experience.

I owned 911s for years. Mine were never the fastest cars you could buy nor for some the most sexy design. But for me it was more about quality, longevity, the nuances of the marque and the occasional track event. That was all part of the Porsche owner experience for me.

This C8 is a very nice looking car. I'll give you that. But Corvette buyers seem to be a much different crowd than the used Ferrari buyer. I highly doubt that the C8 will affect the future prices of the 360 or the 430. And perhaps the most telling factor is that most of those who have a 360 or a 430 probably couldn't care less. Time will tell.

kes7u and Apollo 11 like this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I do get quite a few z06 rev and flyby in my 360. I don’t take the bait... I will get trounced.

G. Pepper, RANDY6005 and Apollo 11 like this.
  7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    For me mostly Mustangs. I couldn't care less what it is. I've been on the track. I didn't buy my 360 to "race" on public streets.
    When I was younger I may have taken the bait. Sadly those who often are doing the baiting are my age.

The misconception is, if I did take the bait, and if I did get trounced, I somehow would want to sell my Ferrari to buy that Mustang or Vette because it's a faster and therefore better car than mine.

8. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Wend a Ferrari owner takes the bate and races some other lesser brand car IMHO it makes the F owner look foolish and if they lose now they have bragging wrights they out ran a Ferrari .

one4torque and G. Pepper like this.
  9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #109 KC360 FL, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    ...as if running faster in a straight line is a great feat. Let's take it to the track with your Mustang, Vette, or Camaro and see how well that turns out.

I've been trounced by better drivers in less HP cars than mine on the track.

I have sleeper high HP cars that have stock, near silent mufflers, with electronic cut outs to straight pipes that are for the straight line runs--- and shocked looks on the faces of those in the other lane that would never have guess it...

RANDY6005 likes this.
  10. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    I completely agree !

That's why when you do take the bait , make sure you've got turbos . Where i am a very responsible driver , it is quite fun to have a performance based vehicle and be able to get on it once in a while . If it is an open road and someone wants to play , i'm will play . I will never win every race but it's fun to see how my TT stacks up against others .
    Don't lose !

one4torque likes this.
  11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I know we are more sophisticated than that...

However every red blood man wants to be faster.

I recall a young self trolling an sl65 yrs ago in my c5 z06... this very old gentleman pulled away from me handily all the while holding his coffee mug in one hand wheel in other.. i was shifting the mt like John force and he just walked away w no wheel spin little fuss or drama. I really admired that car and old fella.

12. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I have a very close friend that has a Hell Cat we where on the interstate 295 did roll on at 85 mph I pulled him three car links at first and then blew by me. He said the only way I pulled him at first was because the F1 transmission and the power to weight ratio my 360 2707 pounds to his 4500 pounds but you know who would win a race track the 360.

one4torque likes this.
  13. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I let every challenger win...Doesn't bother me a bit.

Raconteur, Caphill, MalcQV and 5 others like this.
  14. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Yep. In the 911 I'll get the odd Corvette once in awhile that wants to race, but in the 360 it's crazy, I've had pickup trucks, even a Prius one time lined up next to me on the freeway then pulled away at (presumably) full power. It's like $20 to race as many times as you want at the drag strip and not risk your license.

15. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Uhm the ZL1 1LE is faster than the 488 on the Nurburgring and I'm sure on many other tracks. Not sure about the GT350s but American cars have come a long way handling wise in the last 5-10 years. The Z06 and ZR1 I won't even mention.

16. J30022

J30022 Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeff P
    As far as if the C8 is going to hurt the resale values of 369/430s I don’t even think it’s really about the performance or which one will be better at the track but rather looks. My dream since a kid was about having a beautiful sports car and whether that was a Ferrari or Lamborghini it kind of went back and forth. But I think a McLaren and maybe an NSX would fulfill that dream but no one dreamt of a McLaren or NSX when I was a kid because they weren’t out. However, for me the C8’s looks fit in that category and as long as the build quality and interior are decent it will be on my very short list.

one4torque likes this.
  17. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    Devil’s advocate:

What if that is partly because all previous generations of Corvettes simply didn’t measure up to the aesthetic appeal of Ferrari, and now the C8 has flipped the script?

My main problem with that statement is the inference that “used Ferrari buyers” somehow have better taste or higher standards than Corvette buyers.

After years of searching for just the right 430, I was astonished by the lack of care that many 430s have received by said “different crowd”.

Case in point... I often found that my 53K mile (hard) daily driver 2014 C7 Z51 was in better condition than many “7K miles” 430s I looked at.

No matter how well a seller might clay & polish its lovely skin, any given 430’s true, unfortunate life experience was often revealed near the door hinges, the trashed seat bolsters, the marred center console lid, and in the nooks & crannies of the brake calipers.

I honestly grew weary & resentful during my search for a good 430 in my desired spec, so yep... I am thrilled that GM is now offering a platform with arguably equal “exotic” visual appeal that I can spec out to my exact preferences, and enjoy & honor probably better then many in that “different crowd” to which you refer :)

There may or may not be others like me. We shall see.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The amount of times on a given weekend that I'm yelling at the other drivers through my windshield "JUST GET AWAY FROM ME". Between the bad driving by mom's and pops and nitwits that can't drive their muscle car... it's amazing. Just don't dent my fenders. Do it on your own on a guardrail, but just stay the **** away...

Word. You can't compare a GT500 or recent Corvette with the 360. It's 20 years old! They've made a lot of headway in the last decade. My mechanic was pleasantly surprised the way the mustang handled... and he's a R8 diehard! More accurate comparisons are year to year IMHO.

19. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The C7 was the first Corvette I thought about buying new due to the design language and much improved interior. Sure it's not an S class but then again I look at all the new 5 series, E classes, etc. and besides the top of the line models, they have some basic interiors.

Finding a well cared for Ferrari is actually quite hard. Most owners do not properly maintain them. They'll say oil change every 3k miles and that's about it. OK well a car has many more fluids than just the oil. Did you do a full fluid flush? Did you change the 7 year old tires which are dry as plastic? This applies to most performance cars and the amount of owners that actually maintain them well is quite small, Ferrari or non-Ferrari.

20. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I don’t think it will have much of an impact.
    Heck, the previous corvettes were already a much better performance bang for the buck than 360s were, yet many of us still chose the 360.
    You either get it or you don’t.

Apollo 11 and KC360 FL like this.
  21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Right. Which is only natural.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  22. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
  23. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    I suspect the same could be said for loads of other butt ugly cars with and without performance mods.

For me it was never simply about sheer performance. It’s the gestalt of exotic looks, interior quality/fit/feel, exhaust note, reliability/confidence, and the slightly less tangible “rubberneck quotient”.

IMO, previous Corvette generations didn’t even come close to Ferrari in several crucial areas.

I think for the first time... the C8 does.

You either get it, or you don’t :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Imagine what this will look like as the design evolves. I’m excited.

Kevin Rev'n, Skidkid and espvh like this.
  25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    True. But are the drivers on the street that drive the cars you mentioned capable or even interested in that. Ask me about the guy in the Z-06 that gunned it in the turn lane while leaving a cars and coffee I was at. He took out three cars in the lane next to him.