SOLVING LOW IDLE | FerrariChat

SOLVING LOW IDLE

Discussion in '308/328' started by absostone, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #1 absostone, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Been having a low idle issue around 700rpms or so. When it gets up to 195 degrees it will get to 1k, earlier in the year I had a High idle . So Just checked my 1-4 bank at idle, 12 degrees at 1K and approx. 34Deg at 3500-4K Best I could do with my young copilot holding the throttle. 5-8 was 14 deg at 1k and around 35deg at 3500-4K.
    I noticed that the timing marks jump around and difficult to get on the pointer. Iam using a Digital advance timing light. I would like to be sure about this before I go into resync of carbs.
    Thx in advance,, Pun intended

Btw just pulled all the plugs yesterday to mark both PM marks and both +7 marks on flywheel and pressure plate. Interesting that number 4 and number 8 plugs were a little wet. Plugs have always been super clean prior. Ignition is XR700, with Bosch blue coils

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am not sure I understand your questions. Are you asking if the advance values are correct for your carbed car with XR700 electronic ignition?

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #3 absostone, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Are the advance values ok ? I do I need to actually bring the motor to 5k ?
    Also what would cause the marks to jump around?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Having that much advance at idle (assuming those are BTDC values) will require having the carbs drawing in less air to maintain 1000 RPM idle. This makes things less repeatable/stable at idle as any small unrepeatability in the throttle plate positions will result in a larger RPM change.

Crosstalk between the spark plug wires can cause a very sensitive timing light to have additional unwanted firing events -- make sure that the spark plug wire that you are using is not close and not parallel to any of the other wires as much as possible.

Saabguy likes this.
  5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx Steve. Interesting I thought that more advance at idle will give more grunt? The car runs great other than this new idle issue. I think ill run it up to 5k rpms and report back on total advance. Im using a advance timing light and using the PM marks. The cross talk did cross my mind. I checked the Carb flow at idle yesterday for fun and things are a little screwy. Rear most bank is pulling 5.5kg across both carbs, the front number 5 and 6cyl are pulling 3kg. Cyl 7 is pulling 3kg and number 8 is pulling 2kg. So not all cylinders are equal. Im gonna re check everything today.

19633500GT likes this.
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    BTW engine was all gone through in 2016 and wasn't installed in the car till 2017. All tuning done by an Indie shop

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Way bad -- and indicates that you've got some cylinders that aren't actually operating at idle (otherwise, your idle RPM would be much, much higher). With your large idle advance, all cylinders should be at about 3 Kg/hr (or even a little less) at 1000 RPM idle if they are all running at idle.

absostone likes this.
  8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yup. Why I posted the findings. I’ll check total advance first and make sure it’s not way past 36.

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    That carb Probably kicks in at high temp.

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #10 absostone, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Ok so with untangled wires I’m more in the 7-9 range at idle on both banks and the marks are jumping around less. But I’m at approx 40adv at 5k rpm.
    Idle is around 800 or slightly higher

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    At that idle advance, you should be at 3~3.5 Kg/hr in each barrel at 1000 RPM warm idle.

Not crazy, but a little highish if it keeps increasing up to 6K RPM.

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Understood on the kg. I think the diszzy advance curve isn’t correct. Probably ok to move on to the carbs next.

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Hmmm too much advance is bad. But I’ve never heard any detonation

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    But you haven't driven in Death Valley at noon at WOT going uphill using the minimum octane fuel ;) The manufacturers have to provide margin for extreme conditions that are rarely experienced so that gives you some wiggle room under more "normal" conditions.

absostone likes this.
  15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yea but it feels like Death Valley in the cockpit

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So I didn’t finish up the carbs. But can someone explain best lean idle? 3 turns out is the starting point on the idle mix screws then keep turning out till it starts to run faster and as you keep turning out it will run slower and then turn in 1/4- to1/2 turn back in according to Birdman. Sounds like best rich idle to me. Lol.

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I prefer to close the idle screw fully (the cylinder will miss) and then slowly open the idle screw until the cylinder starts to run and then open another 1/4~3/8 turn (but count how many turns from fully closed to check that all are roughly in the same ballpark). Stock Ferrari 308 DCNF do wind up in the ~4 turns open ballpark, but there are other DCNF that are in the ~2 turns open ballpark (different idle screw end shape and seat).

absostone likes this.
  18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yea cool I like the idea of best lean. And yes I’m aware of the tapered and stepped screws.

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx Steve I’ll post back tomorrow. Appreciate you

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    All Air bypass screws closed. Each carb had one screw open.im assuming once I dive in and the idle changes I’ll need to adjust timing at 1k rpms?

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Each carb should have either both air bypass screws fully closed or just one air bypass screw open. The procedure is to fully close both air bypass screws -- if both barrels have equal flows = done. If one barrel has a lower flow = open its air bypass screw to match the flow of the other barrel.

The advance, being a mechanical system, should stay where it is at 1000 RPM even if the carbs were initially badly balanced and not all cylinders working at idle, but no harm to tweak, if necessary. It's more airflow vs RPM that is interactive.

absostone likes this.
  22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I have a feeling the carbs were not synced front to rear. I observed that turning the forward most idle screw slightly had no effect on idle. If I hold the rear carb side to side linkage and pull on the forward carb idle stop arm slightly the rpms will rise And no movement on the rear carb. So something is up with the front to back linkage

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok sone progress I got the 7-8 carb to come up. There was enough adjustment in the screw. I check with engine running and flow meter installed. I used a needle nose to squeeze the adjuster ka bob to see if it would raise. It did so then I adjusted the screw

25. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok now all 4 are at 6-6.5 kg at 1500