Skid plates-full or just corners? | FerrariChat

Skid plates-full or just corners?

Discussion in '360/430' started by aslowdodge, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The eBay link shows what appears to be Starboard, a very good plastic that's tough and abrades easily. I suspect the plastic skid plate would absorb a whack better than carbon fibre and it would probably protect the frame better than stainless steel lugs (Fabspeed).

If it was me, I'd choose the abrading plastic option. The cost is high and the product won't last forever but it's probably best for the car.

If you have access to a CNC machine, buy a sheet of 1/4" Starboard and make your own. At $500, the eBay item is making a nice profit from about $30 worth of material.

2. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia

Don’t think that hasn’t crossed my mind. I’m thinking of making my own too. The carbo fiber made no sense to me. That one had 4 metal pucks that sat farther back in addition which bolted into existing holes. What is starboard?

3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Starboard is used a lot in boat interiors. Not sure what the advantage is to ABS as I've used it and can't really see a difference in handling or work-ability. I have made skid plates for some of my other cars from ABS. It's easy to cut, shape and sand, can be stacked and glued with super glue and lasts pretty well. Also drills countersinks nicely.

4. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I bought the ones from ebay years ago. Looks like its the same seller too but my product didn't come with their stamped logo. I never installed it, PM me if you want it! No hardware though I lost it lol.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It is a nautical term. Port = Left and Starboard = Right when facing forward.

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Starboard is a UV stabilized HDPE plastic. The main benefits are: nothing sticks to it, machines easily, very tough and usually locally available since it's widely used in the sign industry as well as marine manufacturing. The stuff in the eBay listing looked like HDPE to me but who knows? I'm sure ABS would work as well.

7. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Not a fan of drilling, but its at the bottom so i can forgive that.
    I would like to give you some food for thought though. Whatever you bolt on at the bottom for protection is only as strong as its weakest point, even if its stainless steel. If you hit something hard enough, and what you bolt on can withstand it, the point of rivet/bolting would probably not, as its more or less fibreglass. I'm not sure what your primary intention is, but perhaps installing aftermarket lifters would be better than what you want to do. Not hitting ANYTHING is better than protection from hitting something? lol

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

8. casey330

casey330 Karting

May 12, 2011
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Casey Dalley
    the ones I previously had for sale are made out of 3/8 King Starboard with specific mounting hardware. There are lesser quality "marine" plastics available for a lot less money that have almost the same look and texture but, to the trained eye I can usually tell they did not spend the money for the good stuff... plus as mentioned above it works better then other materials because of its "slippery" nature, any company saying they use a top quality HDPE of any kind and offer their kit with double sided adhesive tape or silicone as a way to mount their product has always confused me.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-f430-front-bumper-skid-plates-new-with-hardware.593825/#post-146654650

EastMemphis likes this.
  9. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    "the ones I previously had for sale are made out of 3/8 King Starboard with specific mounting hardware. There are lesser quality "marine" plastics available for a lot less money that have almost the same look and texture but, to the trained eye I can usually tell they did not spend the money for the good stuff... plus as mentioned above it works better then other materials because of its "slippery" nature, any company saying they use a top quality HDPE of any kind and offer their kit with double sided adhesive tape or silicone as a way to mount their product has always confused me"

Casey330,
    The ones you had were very similar to those that Boardwalk Ferrari sold