812 Spider or SVJ Roadster? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

812 Spider or SVJ Roadster?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by nycbrose, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

SVJ Roadster or 812 Spider?

1. 812 Spider

82.0%
  2. SVJ Roadster

18.0%
  1. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Yeah another poor soul upset about his wealth is not enough and he doesn’t see it happen any time soon or forever lol

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Probably not because there’s another sucker born every minute.

09Scuderia likes this.
  3. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I’m curious. Once you make “VIP” do you stay or it basically “resets” when you pick up a VS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I've heard they are really targeting new and younger customers. I just don't see how they can do that without shafting someone (or everyone).

5. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    there is no 'VIP' status. In F Speak its called Priority Level. 1 is the highest and 5 is the lowest. Owned 5 -10 cars over time and you make it to 3. Drivers make it to 2. You must ALWAYS have one of their newest of every offering in your stable. GT and Midengined. They want you to hold your cars for 2 YEARS now. The old 6-month rule is obsolete.

Even then you need to be willing to make Ferrari your total hobby. Events etc. Its mostly good as Ferrari is the best of the best at spoiling their clients. Ferrari is a peak car experience to be sure. They just aren't the ONLY peak car experience. Not anymore.

sidewalk and F2003-GA like this.
  6. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Not true. VIP is how they categorize the second tier customer with number one being called TOP.

7. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    We need to find an anonymous Ferrari dealer to spill the beans

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That'll never happen

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    When their product line is meh like it is currently, does it matter?

10. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #35 uhn2000, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    All good points, but like I told my friend this an expensive game (with no guaranteed return) then you need to be prepared to lose atleast $100k+ ($200k pre-tax) a year in cars; that doesn't include about the $1.5mill+ you need to have in rotation. I am not sure who they are necessarily targeting but all I know is my dealer knows its a lot to keep going through these cars, they work with you and find solutions to help keep the moment. I am still enjoying the rotation of these machines but yeah its getting a little heavy. I am guessing that the next "ask" is the SF90, now that will get interesting depending on how secondary market reacts. To @09Scuderia 's point it has to be a hobby for you to enjoy the ebs and flows, there are a lot of them. For me I have lost a lot of money doing other things so this is a nice void to keep me out of trouble :).

09Scuderia and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Carrying about $2M in a hobby is one thing, but a strong secondary market becomes very important while trying not to get dinged for selling too fast. 2 years is a long time to wait. What happens if you lease instead?

12. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agreed the 2 year thing I have never heard.. that one surprised me. 6months ok, 2 years.. interesting cencept considering how much we itch for the newest.

13. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Your dealer will tell you your priority level. It's in Modius (I think I spelled that correctly). Make the dealer SHOW you how they rate you in the system. The dealer has influence as does Ferrari NA.

The simple fact is that no matter what your priority level is you still must be buying whatever they tell you to buy. Literally, the dealer will tell you to buy a car that you wouldn't have purchased with the 'promise' at a Pista or a real LE. When? who knows...

Attend a few more $$$ events, attend a drivers school $$$...endless. And then they ask you to buy another car you would have never wanted and then MAYBE you get 'inline' for some car that MIGHT be a LE. 812 Spider for example, not LE yet dealers are acting like it is.

The next-gen of true LEs will be fully priced. Look at Pista pricing. Fully priced.

Add to this what F did with the F8 so closely following the Pista. Amazingly cool for the F8 buyers. But that does make the Pista less special? What if the 488 had come to market with the Speciale's engine etc? I am honestly stunned Ferrari did this. Pista values aside, its a blow to the specialness of the Pista. Maybe not a big blow (Pista is 10x cooler), but a real indication of how they will be doing business going forward. Tip: Buy RACE.

(Mclaren has shown Ferrari how buyers will buy 'special cars' with the same 3.8 as the non-special cars)

If I were a dealer I would leverage up my position as well. If I can get a buyer to choke down cars for an easy profit all the while getting them a spot on a car 1-2 years out...heck yes, easy money. "Make hay while the sun is shining." Dealers have kids to feed too ya know. If there are buyers who will be OK losing that level of cash that often, more power to the dealer. If they want to stay relevant in Ferraris (or maybe just their NA dealers) eyes they have to keep a crap ton of cash in play and be willing to lose $100s of $1000s.

Sorry, that's just stupid. I get as much if not more pleasure from back catalog Ferraris that can be considered true investments.

sidewalk and F2003-GA like this.
  14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Another reason to keep my 458 Spider. Too rich for my blood. And l love my 458. Ciao bella.

sidewalk, 09Scuderia and F2003-GA like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed. One of the things I heard regarding this, is that Ferrari has started looking into how much the cars are used. It's not so much that they want younger clients just for the age, they want new clients that use the cars more rather than clients that have the cars in the garage.

This makes me think. Who's actually shafting who? Is Ferrari shafting the old clients, or are the old clients that don't use their VS cars shafting the young clients that would use the car more if it was in their possession? Are the clients that have the cars sit for 3 years without driving them and then selling them for a huge premium the ones shafting both Ferrari and the buyers?

It might do something good to shake things up a bit and get some new blood in the mix.

Mn-0127 and 09Scuderia like this.
  16. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    i'm surprised by the naivety being demonstrated on this thread by some posters:

If you've got a Pista/812/Lusso (and equivalents thereof) in (continuous ownership of all three/four) in your collection, that really is nothing for Ferrari. I'm sorry there are literally LOADS of Ferrari owners like that all over the world. "VIPs" for want of a better acronym are those who are involved directly in Ferraris motorsport activities at a high level - Challenge helps sure, but that's the start - they want you to be involved in the Corsa Clienti and their XX programmes. And if you're not, you need to buy a frankly absurd number of their NEW cars to entitle you get whatever you want (812 Spiders/TDF's etc).

To give you a flavour of people I know personally;

- LaFerrari Aperta was allocated to a guy that spent $11m in one year racing/FXX-ing with Ferrari.
    - LaFerrari allocated to a friend in a Far East who had bough 18 Maseratis for his family members and 10 Ferraris in a 18 months.
    - Another chap that has bought 3 of every single model they've produced since 2005 delivered to different countries all over the world directly by the factory. - he gets whatever he wants.
    - Another owner who has, 365BB X 2, 288GTO, F40, 2 XF50's, Enzo, 599GTO - he wouldn't be able to get a Pista.

Speccing the hell out of a tailor-made 812 and having an FF and Portofino in the garage is small potatoes which is amazing really.

The FACTORY knows it's best clients. The dealers opinion is a side issue when they release the next truly limited car (and I don't mean a Pista).

They're making hay while the sun shines... for now..

17. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    ....for now. Key phrase.

I too have known guys with equally large stables of Ferraris who have to keep on the buying treadmill or they fear losing
    their priority level with Ferrari.

Porsche changed their GT program. Before, games at the dealer. Secondary market games...etc. Now, Porsche is going to make a GT car for everyone who wants one. Porsche simply admitted that they had constrained supply and now that they fully realize the demand they will meet it. Look at the 18 911 Touring vs the 16 911 R. The Rs were the special car that people were willing to pay 3-4x MSRP for. Porsche claims it didn't realize the demand....boom, meet the (perhaps superior) 18 911 Touring. What happened to the R values. There is one for sale now for less than 300 and a broker offered me one for 265. Porsche is very smart to maximize returns all the while not spoiling the brand.

F2003-GA likes this.
  18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly and I salute Porsche on their approach

19. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Sounds to me like buying in secondary market is the way to go... I find it hard to imagine that anyone actually collects and keeps multiples of production models without 1) trying to make TOP status or, 2) patronizing the brand and selling in the secondary market to... make TOP status.

Gifting them away... now that's another level =D

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

My dealer is very transparent in dealing with me...they tell me I am a “VIP client,” they tell me what is obtainable and what isn’t.
    They tell me exactly what I can do if I want more access.
    I get it, this is how the World works and I am fine with it.

spyderman likes this.
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Interesting.
    I am in my early 50’s and have purchased numerous Ferrari’s from my dealer, very loyal and buy strictly from them, as well as service strictly with them.
    They know this.
    I am also a part of a large group of Ferrari enthusiasts that I am willing to bet collectively put more miles on our Ferrari’s than any other enthusiasts group of friends in the entire United States. Thousands upon thousands of miles, with road trips literally every weekend, and usually 4-5 long multi-day and multi-thousand mile road trips annually. We have also done road trips with the family that owns the dealership.
    I suspect enthusiasts like us do matter, we are out there, having a ball, sharing our cars with kids and families wherever we go, and I think we are excellent ambassadors for the brand. We share the sheer joy of these amazing machines with people everywhere we go.
    I think that has to matter, but if it doesn’t—shoulder shrug—we still love it and would do it anyway!

ScottS and j09333 like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    That’s fantastic. Wish mine was transparent.