89 Testarossa (help needed again) | FerrariChat

89 Testarossa (help needed again)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by GTTT, Jul 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi Guys,

I need help once again with my Testarossa and I appreciate your help in advance.

Engine is F113A040

Short story; I was driving the Testarossa and I stopped at a gas station to put in some gas. I turned the car off and I got out and pumped the gas. When I got back in the car and tried starting it, it would not start. When I would turn the key, it would just make the starter/cranking noise and would not fire or crank over.

I had the car towed home and started looking for the issue(s). I read a few treads on the forum and decided to check the following items:

1. Relay in the black box with 10-amp fuse on top (item 15 in the 1990 TR SPC Tav 12). (I replaced this previously and just wanted to check if there was any issue here)

· Fuse was ok.

· I decided to swap out the relay with a new relay from Racambi. Car still did not start and displayed the same symptoms.

2. I replaced the Bosch relay 0280230006 in the front behind the fuse panel - with a new Durite 0-723-42 (item 8 in the 1990 TR SPC Tav 125).

· Bingo! the car started right away, idled perfect and displayed no weird symptoms.

Fast forward; I didn’t drive the car for a few day and I started the car today. The car idles very rough almost like it has aggressive cam in it.

When I give it throttle the car will not rev higher and wants to stall.

I let the car idle for a long time and warm up to operating temp. Even at proper operating temp it will not idle correctly, when I give it throttle it will not rev higher and wants to stall.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank You in Advance!

GTTT

2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Check the fuse in the little box again. Sounds like it may have blown. Those are the exact symptoms I was getting when mine blew. As for what caused it to blow, I don't know. But I'd check that again.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi, kartboy1234.

I'll check it again just to make sure its not blown.

Thank You
    GTTT

4. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I replaced my fuse with a small circuit breaker. It'll reset itself once it stops shorting. I was getting intermittent shorts that would only happen a few times a year. Hard to track down.

5. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    I like that idea ! do you mind sharing how you wired it up and what parts are used to make the circuit breaker?

Thank you
    GTTT

6. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Easy, just replace the fuse on the relay in the little box with this.

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-UCB-10-RP-Universal-Circuit/dp/B009WQPSVO

It just plugs right in. I haven't had it blow on me, but it should work. I had one time where it just kept blowing the fuse. Burned through 5 fuses, then it decided to just work. Hopefully this solves it until I can find the cause.

7. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Thank you for sharing that link and info.

I'll order one of these right away and test it right away. Does it fit in directly or do the prongs/legs need to be shortened?

8. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    For my updated relay it fit without issue. The long legs help it fit in. I do warn that I haven't tested the breaker. So use at your own risk.

But it should work.

9. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I once had the same problem and it was a blown fuse in this little box.
    but I put the fuse then outside the box to change when blown again - but never has blown then and now I all replaced on my competition to other system.
    I will try to find a photo of my "fuse work" but just now don´t know where I have stored it

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    My previous relay was shaped differently. It was made in West Germany. That relay is correct. You may have to remove the clear door. But the breaker fits without issue.

12. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    I will definitely order that circuit breaker and give it a try.

I swapped the new ricambi relay back to the Stribel 928.615.124.02 relay that was in the box previously and the symptoms were the exact same.
    The fuses on top of both relays (new and old) were good when i checked/swapped them. I'm hoping its something simple - fingers crossed.

Thank you
    GTTT

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    check those connectors going to the box. you may have a pin not connected.

15. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi Turbo-Joe

Thank you for sharing those pictures.

The external fuse was a really good idea. I may try to make something similar.

GTTT

16. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi Veedub00,

That's a good idea and I should have thought of this, I had a gen 2 viper that had a random issue due a pin in the pcm being pushed back.

I'll pull the box out this evening and check the pins to make sure nothing has been pushed back or not making a good connection.

Thank You
    GTTT

17. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    When you guys had similar symptoms did your cars smell very rich from the exhaust? - strong fuel smell

Thank You,
    GTTT

18. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Mine was running super lean. Maybe you don't have spark on one side? But you should still be able to drive it if you lose spark on one bank.

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Consider adding a panel mount atc fuse holder. Keep the wiring protected in the box. Fuse blows... light comes on:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    not really

21. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi Kartboy,

I read in another thread, if you lose spark on one bank it should still drive.
    When I give it throttle or rev it the rpms won't go up and the car bog's down.

22. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi Vinceno,

. Keeping the wire protected is good idea. I will look into this option also.

23. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi Guys,

I took the black box out of the rear fender to inspect the pins and make sure nothing had been pushed back or was lose etc.. The male pins on the black box look good and firmly in place.

The Large round connector that plugs into the black box has two pins that seemed to be pushed back. Pins 15 and 20 were pushed back - Please see attached image.

When I pulled the sleeve back to look at the backside of the wires pin #20 was lose and came out of its designated hole. Please see second/third image.

I could not figure out how to get the connector apart to fix the issue;

1. How do I get pin pin 20 back in the proper hole and seated tightly?
    2. How do I push pin 15 back up and seated tightly?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/replacing-the-9-and-24-pin-connectors-on-the-right-side-of-the-engine-bay-a-tutorial.586155/

25. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Basically just push the pins in from the rear until they clip in place. I replaced my connectors a little while back