Ignition key buzzer and relay on 308QV | FerrariChat

Ignition key buzzer and relay on 308QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by tf308, Aug 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
  2. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This is located on the backside of the passenger foot well.

Does any one have the wiring diagram for this relay?

This relay has circuits contained inside which probably are for timing.

Anyone here repair these?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    One normally replaces relays, not repair them.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The '84-'85 US 308QV SPC indicates that that relay is a timing relay for the interior lights (not associated with the buzzer for the seat belts and ignition key) -- do your interior lights still have the correct/reasonable delay to shutoff?

5. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Unless is an unobtainium brand

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Replacement is available; I can't recall where I found that specific one, but they're out there.

My personal solution was to bypass the relay to keep the door/dome light functions, but lose the delayed dim + buzzer (I'm not missing either.)

mike996 likes this.
  7. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
  8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I notice that if I pull the relay the dome light will not come on in the “door open position “ but it will still come on if I push it all the way forward to the “on “ position.

If I put the relay in and leave it on the “door position “ the light will not go out. It stays on.

It definitely makes me think this is, at a minimum, the relay

However, I still want to test the buzzer too

9. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I realize you are correct. These are two different things now. I am trying to fix my buzzer and the relay “May?” Have nothing to do with it....unless a ground or hot wire is going to the door. The door and lights both tie to this buzzer

10. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Italamec 315

6 pin connector

Pin 1 Green/Red wire
    Pin 2 Black/Yellow wire
    Pin 3 Red Wire
    Pin 4 Red/ White wire
    Pin 5 purple/ black wire (that goes to the relay in question)
    Pin 6 Brown wire

11. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
  12. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
  13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Unfortunately, they don't show the schematics of what's in the various boxes, but I think you're doing the right thing to look for obviously frazzled components. That purple-black wire is just a common always ground signal going to both. For the others:

The red wire should be +12V with the key "on" (so, with key "on", the voltage between the red wire and the purple-black wire should be +12V).

The green-red wire goes to the door jamb switch (so should be ground with the door open and not ground with the door closed. I.e., door open and key "on", the voltage between red wire and green-red wire = +12V. Door closed and key "on" = 0V).

The black-yellow wire goes to the seat belt switch and the other side of this switch to ground (so should be ground in one case, and not ground in the other, but don't know if seat belt buckled = ground or seat belt buckled = not ground).

The red-white wire goes to the key-in-ignition switch and the other side of this switch is always +12V (so the voltage between this wire and the purple-black wire should be +12V in one case and not +12V in the other).

The brown white wire goes to the unfastened seat belt light in the dash -- if this is working, but the buzzer isn't that might be a clue as well as both not working ;)

Most likely the buzzer assembly is just frazzled somehow, but, if all of these input signals are doing the right thing and the buzzer isn't working, then you can be more sure it is frazzled. Good Hunting!

14. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Steve...it’s been a while...but I still love you. I removed that 50v 10uf capacitor and it was in spec. So I am still searching

15. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    Did my 85 Euro 308 come with a key buzzer?

16. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not sure...I do not see it on the Eurospares part so I was wondering the same thing. I don’t think so, but you could prove it if you send a pic of the backside of your passenger footwell plate and compare it to mine.

17. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Steve, can you provide further guidance on the light relay.

Purple/ black wire ? (I think you said is ground)

Black wire?

Red/ black wire?

Gray wire?

This was I can understand the normal operation of this relay.

I imagine there are timed relays for sale. Maybe even a solid state upgrade.

The very middle contact is blank Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    purple-black wire (terminal 31) = always ground

grey wire (terminal +) = always +12V via fuse #6(F)

red-black wire (terminal P) = goes to the RH and LH door jamb switches. Will be connected to ground if either door opened.

black wire (terminal L) = goes to the "-" side of the of the dome light (the "+" side of the dome light is always +12V)

(terminal I = not used)

The logic will be that if the red-black wire (terminal P) is connected to ground (either door opened), the relay will immediately connect the black wire (terminal L) to the purple-black wire (terminal 31) = the dome light illuminates. When the red-black wire is no longer connect to ground (both doors closed), the relay does not immediately disconnect the black wire from the purple-black wire, but only does so after X amount of time has passed.

PS The manual switches for both the dome light and the map light should both work even with this relay removed.

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Forgot to add that since your relay is latching correctly, but not unlatching = almost certainly a problem with the relay itself. If the trouble was the relay didn't ever latch when you opened the door, then you could have some hope that the trouble was something like a bad connection in the wiring or a blown fuse -- but that's not your symptom. Do let us know if you find a substitute -- my guess would be that there might be something (especially if the terminal names are the same even if the overall shape is not the same).

20. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    I had the passenger side foot well plate out 2 months ago when I removed my evaporator to install a new larger more powerful blower motor and there are no relays there. No holes in the plate or velcro strips. I didn't see any laying around either. When it gets cooler and I don't have anything to do I will remove the plate again. One screw was hard to get to. Also I have a seat belt warning light on the dash. When I had the dash out to install led lights there where no wires hooked to it and found no loose wires laying around. I don't see any wires going to my seat belts either for a seat belt buzzer and to turn on the seat belt light. This may have something to do with the fertilization when it was brought into the US.

21. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    just an update...not solved yet.

With the buzzer installed, the fasten seatbelt light will function and with a delay. So I think something in this relay is working. With the buzzer relay unistalled the seat belt light will not light.

Could this just be the speaker circuit in the relay? any way to test this?