FORMULA 1 ROLEX MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 11 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Aug 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Not good news and I did not check on their PU status. Getting used to seeing Mercedes under pressure now. Has helped my enthusiasm for the series this year.

2. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Well, that was another entertaining race to watch. 3 good races on the trot. Quite an achievement after the shambles of the first part of the season. Of course, it's just a temporary blip before the Merc machine dominates again. Austria, Hock (in the rain) and Hungary all favoured RB and they made the most of it. Once we get to the power circuits, they will be no where. The Honda, though much improved, just isn't good enough to play with Mer and Ferrari engines. You can see that on any decent straight.

Overall, well done Ham - yes, the strategy gave him the chance to win, but I cannot see a single driver down 20 seconds with 20 laps to go believing it was the right call. Credit where credit's due - Ham drove like a champion today and had to take the victory.

Bad luck Max. He probably had the car to win, but the Merc tire swap call caught RB by surprise. I do wonder what would have happened had RB pulled max in for fresh tires though. This track was perfect for their car and he could have caught Ham. But, given the weedy Honda power unit, I guess they doubted that they could actually get passed at the only passing point on the circuit - T1.

Ferrari - this just wasn't our track. No point whinging at the team, as Hungary was never going to be a red victory and anyone that believes otherwise is deluded (IMHO). So... P3 and P4 was actually the best we could hope for. In fact better than we should have expected thanks to Bottles having a calamity of a day and Gasly failing to turn up as usual.

McLaren again doing well. Solid points. Best of the mid pack now.

Russell - nice job. I think he's probably he most underrated driver on the grid right now, and could very well be the pick of the F1 rookies. Surely he'll move from Williams pronto.

As for Stroll - seeing him beaten by the Williams just means one thing; the normal balance of the universe has been restored. He is the worst driver on the grid by a country mile.

ATBNM3, william, kes7u and 6 others like this.
  3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Other than this the race was a total snoooze fest........only fun is when it’s raining lol

bmwracer likes this.
  4. DF1

Russell to Mercedes. Im not at all sold on Ocon as the next 'thing' around the paddock. Russell and Lando are so good it appears. Russell is very new so who knows. The only real question left for the silly season is what will happen to Bottas. I can see both avenues for Mercedes - keeping or releasing.

Max and Charles has set the scene for the new F1 that will emerge. Now we have Russell and Norris. Hopefully the grid will close a bit and we have more true racing and not procession. I do not think we will have too much 'racing' but I hope closer overall.

Im still amazed at the call from Mercedes and the actual result today. When you have a car of that calibre you can risk a touch more it seems.

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I wonder if Gasly and Stroll are related.

william, Jeronimo GTO and subirg like this.
  6. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    No today's result shows RBR does not have a realistic chance of the title, the Merc. is still the better car.

Plus Shamilton already has a 69 point gap.

william likes this.
  7. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    william and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Ferrari's lousy pace gave Ham a "free" pit visit -- which decided the race.
    Interesting interview with RB strategist -- who was convinced that Merc was the quicker car, despite Max's pole.

But a demonstration of the value of responding to a dynamic race situation.
    (Something Ferrari doesn't seem to do well.)

Vettel getting overly melodramatic with the pass.
    Heck, it was team orders. Leclerc pulled over to let Vettel go around, and Seb had to go and dive down the inside of Charles, cutting him off in the corner. Sloppy.

I don't think anyone in Maranello is getting a "summer break" -- too much to do, if they don't want to fall back to "best of the rest".

Good to see McLaren coming back to life.
    Gastly spent most of the race stuck behind a McLaren.
    And Bottas spent a lot of time trying to get around the other one.
    (Until they brought him in for a second stop. Ham wasn't the only one to benefit from newer tires.)

Didn't Schumi do four stops at one race to win it?

william likes this.
  9. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    I believe the teams are not allowed to work on the cars in the summer break.

william likes this.
  10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    RB has no chance this late into the season. They'll start taking PU penalties soon, too. The game is on for next season, though.*

*There's always next year.

11. atlocal

atlocal Rookie

Feb 4, 2009
    I'm excited to see what RB will do next year.

william and Jakuzzi like this.
  12. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I missed it, but makes some good Silly Season speculation. Too bad about Bottas early pit....well let me rephrase. I wish it had been Hamilton.

I was worried Leclerc might get a penalty for dinging his front wing. Racing incident IMHO, but you never know these days. Glad Seb got on podium..."why are we so slow" sigh.

Jakuzzi and daytona355 like this.
  13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    First time I have cheered on Hamilton for a long time - great drive and beautiful strategy from Mercedes.

Humiliating from SF to be going backwards in race craft and progress. 40+ seconds behind is rather rubbing salt in the wound

Tony

sampelligrino, ATBNM3 and william like this.
  14. DF1

Ferrari as well

Jakuzzi likes this.
  15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Cheer up chaps, we knew before the end of practice one that Hungary was going to be tough, and we could have been 5th and6th, so I’d say 3rd and 4th is maximising the package. None of you really think Red bull are going to even get close to Mercedes this year surely, nothing has changed for Mercedes, theyve just had a few rough races, including one comical disaster, but they aren’t going to get beaten to either title.

Ferrari are just racing for themselves, they have no illusion over wins etc, they won’t come this season without mistakes from others. Monza won’t be any different, we’ll just be closer, that’s all, same as Spa.

I want to hear from ferrari that they are using races as test beds for next year, and hiring the best engineers and strategists ready for next year. That alone would make sense. Today, i only watched the first hour because I had nothing else to do, then switched over to watch the soccer, I came on here an hour or so after the race ended (I’m guessing) to see where ferrari finished.

stavura, Bas and Jakuzzi like this.
  16. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Correct strategy by Mercedes. exiting race.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Yah it shows when the two front cars have a chance a race can be exciting to watch. Too many races have been a complete Merc run away from Lap 1.

Ferrari is helpless.

ATBNM3, william and Jakuzzi like this.
  18. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Even 1/2 of Seb's salary would do it!

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I do not see RBR stalling...Honda is doing superb upgrades every time, the technical team at Red Bull works fantastic as well...

Today the race was lost due to a rare tactical error on Red Bulls side.

william and Jakuzzi like this.
  20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red bull to take a new engine at Monza IIRC. A race where they do not expect to do well in any case...so I guess they'll make 5th where 5th is likely the best result they'll hope for even starting up front...

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Considering where RBR started, I would not take it as a foregone conclusion.

22. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Good race. Congrats to Seb, Lewis and Max. Can't imagine any butthurt anywhere near them.

william likes this.
  23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Any race won or lost by the brain trust on the pit wall is not a good race.

24. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I thought for sure Max would win this race , kudos to MB for pulling one out of the bag, good race management . Besides that , same old same old . SF going sideways, maybe even downhill and Stroll is sucking huge . This season has been decided already in my opinion , on to next year

daytona355, Jakuzzi and william like this.
  25. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Not a blatant "tactical error" by RB so much as a rare "bonus pit" opportunity for Ham, given how far back the Ferraris had dropped.

A reactionary pit by RB would likely have put Max trying to overtake Ham.

They were saying "20 sec" for a pit, but many teams were running 22+ sec for the full stop -- not including the lap to bring the new tires up.

It was a gamble by Merc, given the back marker traffic.
    But a "low risk" gamble, since they had so much gap back to third place.
    It just happened to work out for them.

william, 375+, Bas and 1 other person like this.