488 - Ferrari Pista vs Mclaren 720s in autobahn | FerrariChat

488 Ferrari Pista vs Mclaren 720s in autobahn

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Aug 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    So much discutions and here's the video:

exoticcardreamer likes this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #2 dustman, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Great to watch.

Nobody should be surprised by the results.

Question is, will the F8 be tuned up by factory to compete?

xfrgtr likes this.
  3. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Closer than I suspected. Finally a fast Ferrari like Brooks said.

tekaefixe likes this.
  4. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    No harm done if posted by me or Brooks... but anyway....

No suprises, the mac has less drag and less weight. It's funny that you notice the more laggy engine of the mac when they floor it. The pista always get the jump as if it was a NA engine.
    Ricardo engines cant compete (for now) with Ferrari. I don get the part where they say that the pista starts to recover at high speed?! The pista never recovers and doesnt make anysense because its supposed to have more drag and downforce because of it.

The F8 will not be tunned to compete with the 720s, it will be tunned because it will lose about 5% power because of the particle filter.
    Im guessing the results will be the same with the F8. Curious about the 750LT...

5. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Pista has to be a pain in the arse when on track. It does better in 2nd gear than the 720s but not in 3rd gear. You'd probably be shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear in mid speed corners while the car is turning and the paddle's are fixed. You can leave the mac in 3rd gear and don't lose much if anything in the speed department and don't have to worry about shifting. Those shorter gears in a Pista must cause an adjustment for people on track and probably going to be bouncing off the limiter until they get used to the car.

Both great cars and competitive with each other in real world conditions (short bursts from say 60 to 100 mph).

6. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #6 IPO1, Aug 6, 2019
    Looking forward to 750LT--will be amazing.

488 = 720s
    Pista = 750LT

TopspeedPT, Boomhauer and tekaefixe like this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The 750lt spider might be a keeper.

tekaefixe and IPO1 like this.
  8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Good video. Ritually a dead heat in performance.

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Idk...the 720 already > Pista clearly from this video. Track perhaps Pista.

xfrgtr likes this.
  10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Agreed, except point was 720s is more equal in price point to 488 and a 'competitor' (putting aside drag racing times).

I think 750LT will be that 'track vehicle' and smoke Pista--albeit I'd love both.

11. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Dont know... put a MPC2 R in both and we see. Not fair with much older tech pirelli...

12. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    It wasn't shown in the video but I'll trust Robert when he says it.

GT2RS is the same way. It recovers eventually (not real world type of use) and gets to a higher top speed than 720s.

13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    What's that high pitched whining sound in the Pista that increases in tone when speed increases? Was this section of autobahn grooved? I've never encountered pavement on the autobahn that produced this kind of sound....

14. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Its not about believing, you just dont see it. Regarding the GT2 sorry but I dont buy it, the mac has been measured at 216 mph and the Porsche just cant to that with the massive drag it has.

15. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I stand corrected. The GT2RS that I spoke of was tuned.

tekaefixe likes this.
  16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I guess the F8 does not lose power against the Pista - Ferrari has reworked the exhaust and ECU to manage the GPF, it results in altered torque / power curves but no loss of power.

WM458 and MANDALAY like this.
  17. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Problem is F8 will be a heavier car than the Pista, Carpets, Sound dampening, Powered seats, etc.... even if they have equal power band, still Pista will have better power to weight ratio.

tekaefixe likes this.
  18. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It’s the tires :).

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It will be marginal IMHO (specially as long as Pista customers specify ludicrous options like lifter ;) ) and mostly irrelevant for high speed acceleration (for which power is the key factor, at high speeds the air resistance is the dominant factor rather than weight).
    I'll have carbon seats (and no lifter, of course) on my F8 to minimize the gap...

20. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    True, at high speeds weight doesn’t matter much, it’s about aero and power.
    How much more the lifter weighs compared to the normal suspension?

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They’re basically the same. 720S is slightly quicker but slightly more laggy in power delivery. As for top end. I think Robert is delusional. The 720S actually pulls away top end. If you look at the best tests of each car, which is Road and Tracks fair detailed acceleration runs, you can see they’re basically identical up until 130 mph and then the 720S starts to pull away.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

lamborarri and tekaefixe like this.
  22. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Just like any race car more wing, more down force less velocity as speed increases. Interesting to compare downforce at different speeds for both the Pista and 720. I believe handling is more important than incremental loss of speed and acceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The 750LT will be launched this year with the spider version in Geneva next year.
    Curious to see how many track records it will beat with proper R compound tires.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Watch from 9.00 to 9.15 Then at 9.33 Brooks quotes 765 to 770hp for 720 - should be called a Maclaren 770

Pista's better aero and engine are probably the main things that kept it in the game as 720 clearly has more power at the wheels and I believe a better power to weight ratio?

So nothing new going on here unless Pista gets an additional power injection to put it on par. And as if it any of these cars really need more power anyway. So this particular exercise is a bit of a long winded yawner all things considering.

Frankly I would have been far more interested in hearing about which is the more exciting to drive and which delivered the better overall feel in the engine and braking etc.

Ash Patel, Caeruleus11 and WM458 like this.
  25. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #25 ScrappyB, Aug 6, 2019
    We have already exceeded the performance threshold of what is practically usable and enjoyable on the street. I hate to admit it, but my Senna is already too fast to the point of being frustrating on public roads. It requires heat in the tires (impossible to generate safely) in order to minimize the constant interference by the traction control system or face certain demise if one defeats the system on cold rubber. The 750LT will likely also face the same issue. The GT2 RS feels comparatively more usable due to the significant extra mass, less power and better traction. I expect the Pista to also be usable but more playful than the 2RS. Will know soon.

All wheel drive and hybrid assist will bring a new dimension of usable street performance (918 and now SF90). Brief but intense bursts of acceleration from low speed can be enjoyed relatively safely if one is smart about when and where to unleash the fury

Dela, Caeruleus11, WM458 and 3 others like this.