Carbon Fiber - Exterior of Interior | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Carbon Fiber - Exterior of Interior

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Coincid, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What if any is considered essential cf on f8? I'm specing car now and want to make sure I'm not just flushing cash down the drain as I'm not going to keep the car long, just until f8 spider gets delivered

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Since you will in all likelihood trade the car in with your Ferrari dealer towards the new one, ask them which options they recommend that will minimize depreciation.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  3. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    CF on steering wheel is an essential spec. There is also a running line of CF below the dash that comes standard on the F8 coupe. Since you are not keeping the car and really specing for next driver through trade in then there is no right answer. The dealership will encourage you to spec as many CF as possible. I think there will be only a few months between the coupe and the Spider delivery another option is waiting on the spider and spec whichever way you like without any concerns.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The CF below the dash can be changed to piano black as I have on my 488 BTB because I have the passenger display.

On the steering wheel people were originally forced into the carbon because of the Rev Led's. I made it extra and had leather and Led's. Now its an option.

You know there will be a speciale version

Anthony Capone likes this.
  5. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I also hear there will be a speciale version which, I would then get into to keep long term and either keep the f8 spider, my 458 spider and the speciale or sell the F8 spider.

Dealers push you to spec as much as possible as I believe they obtain a higher level of commission off the options as oppose the metal. I currently have £30k of options on the car and the car seems sensible ish beside the cf dash inserts which, seems quite expensive for what it is

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Convertible you have. I would do a low spec at minimum F8 then qualify for the speciale F8 and sell the F8. You would imagine the F8 speciale to have a lot of carbon.

7. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good point Mandalay! I'm going to drop a few more bits off the spec but, still keep a reasonable spec as I'll sell it on SOR to get back the maximum when I come to chop it in

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My dealer is adament that CF should adorn the entire interior - steering wheel, paddles, dash , central bridge. Not necessary on the door panels. He feels that CF steering wheel alone looks odd. He claims either do all CF or nothing but the absence of interior CF makes the car less desirable and harder to sell.

PTG1 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  9. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    As someone mentioned.... I don't drive my car on the outside so inside is important. On the 458/488 the interior with carbon is really important as the no carbon grey kinda makes the car look cheaper. I personally love staring at all the carbon when I drive, carbon interior is more important for me than exterior. My interior has every carbon option except for the 8k full carbon lower tunnel ...I even ordered the OEM door panels to complete it. I do think some parts of the exterior would be nice to have, the big pieces like the side skirt panels because its so exposed ....but it depends on the car. If it was a pista for me, it has to have the full front and rear splitters and rear bumper in carbon along with the carbon side vents also because its so exposed. I think if you like carbon fiber you should get it, especially on the interior, if you get aftermarket on the dash you have to take the dash apart to install them, so I would do that factory. Also wanna add that aftermarket while they look good but doesn't not compare to OEM quality. The patterns on OEM are straight and line up perfectly. The only aftermarket carbon I did on mine are the door sills with the OEM Ferrari logo since they are covered anyways, they have 1x1 weave like original but the patterns curves and not straight. I figure on the door sills your not gonna get that close to them anyways .

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Dealer also advised that exterior CF is not as significant as interior. However, the entire exterior must be done. Not recommended to pick and choice.

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    You can do the steering wheel with LEDs and all leather no carbon

I have

And where the CF strip have that piano black again as I did

12. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    My 2c - full interior is a must, with the exception of cf door panels which are preferred but not a must.
    Exterior - preferred but not a must. Me personally - go big or go home, I’d tick all the CF boxes and call it a day. It will help with resale and you’ll enjoy it more anyway.

13. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    No carbon is a must IMHO. Some don’t like carbon. So why spec what you don’t want. See post above by @MANDALAY. You are not going to enjoy carbon if you don’t like it.
    Resale that is another story.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MANDALAY likes this.
  14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    If I had to choose I would go with CF interior since Id look at it more often. I went CF free when I specced my 458 Spider wrapping the LED steering wheel in leather. Prefer how the leather feels in my hands. Only CF on my Huracan is the engine bay which is bundled with the Transparent Engine Bonnet so didnt have a choice there. The alcantara and leather interior is interesting enough for me.

MANDALAY likes this.
  15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I do prefer the feel of leather to carbon in my hands, but visually carbon is much “racier” imho, and leather more GT.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Coincid likes this.
  16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    But on the Ferrari steering wheel the leather is thankfully on the steering wheel areas where the hands always go and the CF only on the non handled parts. So, the CF looks good while the leather feels great! A win win!

LVP488, Coincid and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  17. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Do they cover the metal areas of the wheel in leather? Would you be able to post a photo of that?

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The entire wheel is leather. The metal parts stay the same.

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Similar feedback from my Pista order.

20. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    When I was shopping for my 458 Spider, I only factored in the interior CF.. Exterior CF didn't matter to me. I ended up with a car that has full CF interior, including door panels and zero exterior CF. I have always loved the CF Challenge rear grille, especially on the 360s and 430s, and honestly wouldn't buy one without if I were in the market.. But, for the 458, it wasn't something I cared about one way or the other.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    On the 458 particularly the spider I feel the cf on the rear bumper is essential, it changes the look of the rear to a retro look, I would not buy a 458 spider without it and I have had 3. Alone it does not look out of place on that car

22. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    My 488 has all the carbon options on it and I love it :rolleyes:

stavura and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    On the F8 I ordered the "carbon driver zone" that includes the wheel with LEDs and paddles; paddles are interesting because now they have the right size (i.e. extended to the bottom) when they come in carbon .
    On the 488 I only specified the wheel and went aftermarket to have extended carbon paddles.

24. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I’m doing the same. BTW the driver zone also gives you a carbon fiber ring around the rev counter face. You can see the differences in these two pics.

Attached Files:

25. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Inside - Carbon accessories on the outside in my opinion can look a little down market, works on a carbon bodied car - stick to the inside.