TR engine knock | Page 4 | FerrariChat

TR engine knock

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by tamburini44, Jun 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Is that a known working motor with some kind of guarantee?

There was a post years ago where someone called a Ferrari used parts dealer. The motor alone was $30-40k...

Listen find out whats wrong then deal with it. If you have any mechanical aptitude, perhaps you can do it yourself...

DO a leakdown test while waiting for the dealer appointment, that will give you lots of info...

2. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
  3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I would not turn the engine over at this point. Nothing to gain other than more worry. Difficult to reach without a lift.

peteficarra likes this.
  4. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
  5. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    Dealer's saying about 50h to rebuild the entire engine once it's out. I expected more.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I’d be interested to hear Brian’s opinion...

Me.... I’d have guessed a min 100. Lots of parts chasing too. Heavy on the ‘while you are in there’ too. Chains? Gears? Bearings? Machining? Balancing? Seals? Differential?

Not trying to be negative. Once done, you’ll have a like new engine!

4re308 and bpu699 like this.
  7. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    That's closer to what I expected. I may do the differential, depending what an inspection reveals, looks it was opened up during the last service,
    but unless I have to, I'm not doing a full rebuild.

Depends on the cause also, if it's due to negligence, that may change things.

vincenzo likes this.
  8. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I don't see anyone rebuilding a motor in 50 hours, unless using all new parts...

I'm still rebuilding my 930 motor 2 years later. Last night spent 2 hours just getting gasket maker off oil return tubes and other various parts.

Then I was sent the wrong oil rings...

Then...

Then...

Well, you know how this goes.

I worry that 50 hour rebuild will be higher, and they will want to include a whole bunch of new parts...

Rebuilding a Porsche 930 motor at a reputable shop... is $25k...

A testarossa I would only imagine, would be twice that.

9. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    Most major projects I've read about here seem to take a few years. Doing the work yourself, even if takes time, is rewarding. Best of luck with the rebuild.

Gasket maker can be evil stuff. One my Alfa's oil pan.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Was the middle finger for the previous mechanic?

4re308 and turbo-joe like this.
  11. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    Am I mistaken or are these time estimates about 30-40% above normal?

10h to remove the engine, 8h for the cylinder head

MOSS likes this.
  12. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I agree, those numbers are way high for an experienced person.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    1 or both heads?
    if all is original and rusty and hard to remove then those hours will be the minimum for 1 head. also may be it needs also new valve guides and then grinding the seats. so much more hours then. also often the exhaust manifolds break in the head - have fun then ;)

15. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    1 head. Removal only, not repair.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then those 18 hours are too much, except they also clean all what takes some time

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #93 johnk..., Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Sorry to hear of your problem. But there is a lot of nonsense being discussed about a complete engine rebuild. I went through a similar problem with my 308 QV. Broke a belt on the 1-4 bank. The independent shop I used said one thing. "Let's get the head off and see what the damage is." As it turned out the there were 4 bent valves, two intake and 2 exhaust and some nicks on a couple of pistons. Bottom line was a valve job on the head with 4 new valves and little touch up of the pistons, reassembly and it was good to go. The idea that you need a complete rebuild of the engine, or even replacement of a couple of pistons because you bent a few valves is nonsense, typical of the Ferrari attitude that everything has to be perfect. Unless there is evidence of significant damage to a liner, piston or head, the approach taken that I outlined for my car should be more than sufficient to put the car in running order again.

18. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    Not sure they're cleaning anything. This is just the removal so that the appraiser can do the inspection.

Is about 6h the usual time it takes a dealer to pull the engine?

19. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    Couldn't agree more. The dealer is pushing for the whole thing, but I'll tow the car elsewhere before I agree to that.

20. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    On a TR that has never had its cylinder heads removed, it can be a lengthy/difficult project (because of severe corrosion around the head studs). I know the Shop here that did my last major and replaced the head gaskets (had a bad oil leak on one side and some coolant weeping on the other) had to fabricate special tooling, and put many days of effort into it. I know if I was quoting the job (and I wouldn't ;)), I would give a very large possible range of labor hours for this task, and, if I had already invested in making the tool, adding some extra to amortize that wouldn't be unreasonable. JMO.

MOSS and turbo-joe like this.
  21. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    The times mentioned are best case scenario. There's small print regarding unforeseen issues.

I'll have a chat with them, but I wanted to get an idea of the typical hours required.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would say 8-10, if no rusty bolts or screws. then also count the cleaning of the garage floor because a lot of oil and water will drop down. question is if 1 or 2 mechanics? for the engine hood to remove it would be best to have 6 hands.

23. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    Had a chat, they're saying those estimates are the worst case scenario.
    Their normal times for a TR major 30-35h, removing cyl head 5h.

24. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Thanks Steve, I wasn't aware of those difficulties.