The BORA | Page 27 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  2. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Ivan
    You may want to look into this fan which i ended up using..
    I had the shroud made larger length wise to cover the full radiator core.
    Marradyne
    11inch
    Cfm 1100
    Motor 130watt AMPS 7.4 which negated the need to upgrade the alternator.
    Amp 7.4 Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    where are you ordering the euro headers from, I need a set for our current build.

Wade

4. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    MIE

308nut likes this.
  5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Greg: Your fan setup looks very good.

The original Bosch fans seem to pull quite a bit of air. I wonder what is their CFM rating .....
    I took my radiator out, cleaned it, oiled the Bosch fans, replaced some of the foam that had disintegrated around the shroud, and put it back together. As long as I am not sitting in a traffic jam on a very hot day, I should be okay. I remember driving another Bora with my wife (#1010, also a very late VIN) and there was an accident on the interstate and for over an hour we were crawling ..... clutch in, clutch out. All I could do was watch the temperature gauge go higher and higher. When the gauge was too high for comfort I turned the heater on and the interior fan at high speed. That made a significant difference and I was glad to see the temperature gauge finally start to come down ..... but my wife was not too happy.

Ivan

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That is called being caught between a rock and a hard place or being damned if you do and damned if you won't;-)
    Just like me now no AC here so either I sweat at my desk or the fan means any unsecured paper thinks it is tumbleweed:)

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I just finished servicing my Bora's cooling system and put the steps down on paper (with photos) before I forget what I did. Although I have worked on Bora cooling systems in the past I could not remember if the radiator has a drain plug and where it was located. Next time, I'll read what I just wrote :)

Step by step instructions have been posted on my website and can be reached directly via this link: http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Bora_servicing_cooling_system.pdf

Ivan

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What is thing called paper? All digital here now ... :p ;)

71Satisfaction likes this.
  9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

I would suggest adding a bleed hose and valve on the end of it to the hose connection on the upper RH corner of the tank that connects to the copper pipe going up over the roof.
    That make bleeding the air out of the top of the radiator and into a small pail of coolant just so easy. You can recycle the coolant into the main tank and keep bleeding in several sessions after driving to make sure it's all out. I used a small fish tank valve and 1/8" coolant hose.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Air-Flow-Distributor-Splitter-Pump-Control-Lever-Valve-Tap/332858842325?hash=item4d7feedcd5:m:mVv2YnfY6wtyyv0e1JBODeQ

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Interesting suggestion. On my Bora removing the radiator cover is a pain, therefore I would want to be able to bleed the radiator without having to remove the cover. I think a "T" junction where the small hose meets the RH of the radiator; from the "T" have a short hose with a one way fish tank valve at the end, that can be reached from the front of the car.

Ivan

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's been a while since I did this modification but your car is identical to mine.

If don't think you have to remove anything to install this if that is your question?
    Just reach behind the bumper and that hose and connection is right there.
    Use 2 feet or so of hose and you can coil it up and tuck it inside of that area when you're not using and pull it out and place in an elevated pail when you need to bleed the air. I've done this for decades.

Yes pulling that carpeted air exit housing out and reinstalling it properly WO getting your fingers sliced up by that horrible screening is an awful job. For simple bleeding that would be unacceptable.

12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Buona sera, tutti,
    If any of you have disassembled your Bora's rear suspension and have any tips or sequences to share, I'd like to hear them.
    I have begin the process to replace all the rear rubber bushings at A-arms, sway bar.

The basic elements of my approach are "traditional":
    - Install spring compressors on each main spring.
    - Jack the car up to unseat the springs.
    - Remove shock absorbers.
    - Remove main springs and seats.
    - Unscrew the CV joint bolts from the main bearing carrier.
    - Pull the A-arm bolts and Viola!

It occurs to me I may eliminate the need to compress the main springs if I dropped the main suspension frame with transmission and all... but I'm not too sure about that. Do any of *you* know if that's an easy approach?

Grazie,
    - Art

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I did mine when I dropped the engine and sub frame together. That can be a big job because of the possibility of difficulty with all of the connections. Many of mine wouldn't budge in place and I had to cut hoses and cables. They are all strategically located now with easy to disconnect fittings. One of my upper shock bolts never did move and that was a PITA coming out and going in with the engine. So if one of those has seized it might be a bit difficult but you should be able to not have to pull the engine. Because once you do ... you'll have all sorts of things that you'll want to do "while you're at it" LOL. :D

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi Art,

Please take good photos and document the steps, tools you used, etc. It would make for a good technical article.

Ivan

15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Too bad the factory didn't do that ... LOL as if!

17. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
  18. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    The most stunning artwork I have seen on the Bora---and not a single comment/like etc.
    Either you guys are all away on your August holidays---or................

Regards!

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Eye of the beholder.

20. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Fair enough!

21. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Can't say I don't like it. Absolutely LOVE the color, but? It hurts my eyes to look at for more than a brief moment.

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Looks like one of those earth mother types who decides not to shave her armpits or legs ... :p LOL ;)

Sorry but I couldn't resist ...

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006