348 - New YouTube Nonsense 348 25k major | Page 5 | FerrariChat

348 New YouTube Nonsense 348 25k major

Discussion in '348/355' started by dahveedem, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Here you go.

steved033 likes this.
  2. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I did watch it, but that was my final one. For reasons unclear to me they spent 7 or 8 hours playing with degree wheels and camshaft drive wheel dowels trying to achieve timing nirvana, but in doing so they unknowingly got one of the camshafts too advanced, so when they turned the engine over by hand to correctly tension the timing belt, the valves hit the piston tops. Boroscope through the spark plug hole showed little dents in the piston tops where contact was made, so off with the cylinder head, news valves etc. etc. Wonder if Ricambi is going to give them all those too? At this point, don't know, don't care.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had a major “plus” at Ferrari of Atlanta and took delivery last week. Price? $14,995. That included 8 hours of electrical work and motor mounts (which were damaged by previous owner) and welding an broken exhaust pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bertil likes this.
  4. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    Had to scoot over to this board to see if this video was being talked about...shocker!

It is hard to watch, but reinforces my decision to never do any serious wrenching myself on an engine. A man has know his limitations!

Hope they get it all back together OK.

Wonder which wins the cringeworthy trophy...this one or Samcrac’s makeshift 360 floor repair?

steved033 likes this.
  5. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I actually had to post a comment because it was the first time I had seen someone use a hammer and chisel to drain the oil on a Ferrari. I'm normally not critical of people but reading Dan's comments here about his philosophy and making a living off of posting YouTube videos caused me to do a face palm. Also not sure what Ricambi is thinking by sponsoring this clown show, I guess it's just all about exposure because, like a train wreck, it's hard to look away.

jgriff likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ah hah, I got it now. So, it's the professional mechanic that has been doing this for years got the cam timing effed up. They should have asked for an amateur instead.

steved033 and ernie like this.
  7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Even professionals can make an occasional mistake but as I watched him install the cam seals with a 3 pound sledge hammer I began to lose faith. I also saw him pounding a metal pry bar between the head and cam cover to ever so brutally wedge it off but honestly I had to look away at that point, it was just so wrong. That however is just my opinion, perhaps he just has his own methods. From the comments it seems there are gushing fans who feel he is brilliant and it's this ego stroking that drives a lot of what you see on YouTube. They probably all feel like rock stars right now. So much attention.

8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I took mine down to replace the block side bearing on a 348 timing chain. not ONCE did I have to use such brutal methods...

For the record, I have not watched any of them. I wish I was the guy who came up with the "EZ Graphics to annoy everyone" program for video editing...he's probably a millionaire now.

sjd

Pangea likes this.
  9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My 348 is due for a timing belt engine out next year. I swear to God I am going to video and title it "Major Ferrari 348 service for under $1,000"

WATSON, Booker, cardude442 and 2 others like this.
  10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'm an amateur, can I come help? :D

...and @ernie ?? I hear he's only okay at this stuff. :p:po_O

sjd

ernie likes this.
  11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Your over paying, I'll do it for $900 :)

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's a great idea complete with receipt printouts.

13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    To be fair, putting together a decent YouTube video takes some skill and quite a bit of time. Just filming the content in itself takes some effort. Then you have to cut and edit it down,. Anything over seven minutes or so is pushing the attention span limits of most viewers but in reality most publishers only have maybe half an hour's worth of gags and interesting stuff in their lives anyway so after four or five ten minute videos they're virtually tapped out as far as content goes and it begins to get repetitious and (gasp) boring. If there's one thing YouTube viewers can't take it's boredom. So interest drops off. You can strategically pipe in a bunch of filler material backed by that generic royalty free YouTube background music in which all of the singers sound like chipmunks and you can't actually make out a word of the vocals but that eventually drives viewers away as well. Then there are the ads. I guess they haven't yet figured out that the cursor is hovering over that countdown ready to pounce as soon as the five seconds are up and if the skip button doesn't get clicked it's because I'm in the kitchen or bathroom and not watching anyway.

As a living I'd say YouTube is an unsustainable career but I'm sure it's fun for a while.

14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Truth, you're not going to see me doing any video editing...well, probably not.

sjd

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No, Ernie is a hack :p. He does not believe in degreeing the cam. I want the last 5 hp from the car.

ernie and steved033 like this.
  16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I read fbb's post on degreeing 348 cams last Oct when I bought my 348. If I recall the results after degreeing the cams was that his factory timing marks were actually very correct.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Mine were spot on after degreeing.

sjd

18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think if you watch these guy's video same thing, they were proud of themselves because the marks were right on - just like they were before they started messing with it. :)

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Title should be "Watch us turn a $6000 service into 25,000 train wreck"

That's click bait right there and even better then the original title. Everyone loves clown.

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Common theme there, People say can say what they want about the cars but Ferrari knows how to make engines....

21. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. LoL. Everyone I've talked to stopped watching. Just too ridiculous.

22. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I have to wonder if this is the "Josh" who was in the NoVA area for awhile and left. He had a great reputation when he was here and I have only watched #13 tonight for the heck of it so I'm going by what others have posted here. I hope its not that Josh.

Perhaps Dan is Enzo reincarnated and he's looking to yet again give the 348 a bad rap like he did when it came out against the NSX?

"I'll get the brotherhood for trying to convince the public a 348 is a great car!. Even in death I'll come back!!!! Muhahahahhahaha!"

The valve covers do look nice though!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

23. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    That's going to be tough unless you either have an inside source for discounted parts, or your going for the sleazy total lies title in order to boost ratings. Between belts, bearings, fuel and air filters, plugs, oil, coolant, and oil filter the parts alone will run in the $1200 range, if not more.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

dahveedem likes this.
  24. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Come on Paul, don't you know Ricambi gives free engine out parts kits if you video the process. :p (Sorry Daniel, couldn't resist.)

cardude442 and dahveedem like this.
  25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #125 ernie, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Actually.....

I believe in degreeing the cams so that you can see for yourself the cam marks on the F119 are dead nuts on the money. ;) Been there, done it, and seen it. So for me, on the stock cams it's #1 dead nuts on TDC, cams exactly on the marks = good to go.
    What's funny is, I've had the extra 5hp from altered cam timing, due to belt stretch. The +5hp was only good for 250rpm window, basically a blip of 5 ponies only good for bragging rights. Far left column is rpm, far right is power to the hubs, Ignore the center column numbers. Pulls were done on a Dynapack. On a fresh belt with the timing spot on the +5hp blip disappeared, though my power did stay at 300hp to the hubs from about 6900rpm to 7750rpm rev limiter.

Attached Files: