The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    actually I think the solution is evident in a few of the posts above........

you buy the 488 for the "F" car thing....... AND (part II purchase)....

you buy the C8 to daily, track, beat on, go to the mall...... and have a guilt-free exotic your inner child (hoon), and accoutant will love ;)

2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm going to get a C8 for an easier to service and less expensive GT car to take on the long driving vacations I love. I've put circa $10K per year into restoring three Ferraris over the past seven years, so I've paid my dues there. Not going to sell my sunroof/stick 360 to get one, but I am going to sell my 308, probably at a significant loss. It's just not useable enough. The weak AC is just a cruel joke in San Antonio, but I have enjoyed driving it mid winter. lol

Manda racing and one4torque like this.
  3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’ll be a used c8 buyer—- Track rat build... heavily modified..... please new bal jorts guys start your leases and do take care of my future car -:)

4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    ...so no sane driving enthusiast would consider a Ferrari either?

flat_plane_eddie and one4torque like this.
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Sc— actually track rat and f car are not the same thing for all but the .01 % ers.... :)

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  6. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    The C8 keep up with the 360?
    Similar to how Usain Bolt keep up with a high school sprinter?

The C8 will murder the 360 in performance. It's 20 years newer. What do you expect?

one4torque, Skidkid and Lagunascorpio like this.
  7. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Most Ferrari owners don’t give a damn..........they can most likely afford to lose it and enter in to the relationship fully enlightened. The early 20s p*nis extension crowd might have a problem losing 10k at any point.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

one4torque likes this.
  8. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    one4torque likes this.
  9. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    sorry... left out "modern" in my post.

10. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I think it will take some time for new Corvette C8 owners to get accustomed with the skills of driving a mid-engined & high powered supercar... Furthermore, it will take a few generations of mid-engined Corvettes to sort any handling issues... Look at early Porsche 911 & early 90s Ferrari 348 ... very tricky to drive and lots of accidents...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

TomAZ and KC360 FL like this.
  11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The only real angle I can see that will effect 360 or 430 sales is that the new C8, as a new car, is easily financed. A used 360 or 430, not so much.

12. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Someone already mentioned it but it can’t be mentioned enough. The depreciation. Most C8s won’t be in the 60k ballpark, but rather 70-80k and when the flooded market cools down after a few years the depreciation on a C8 will make the upkeep of an average 360/430 look reasonable.

13. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

The C8 has just hit the motoring press over here this weekend - looks a very nice car for the money.

I suspect though it’s aimed at a rather different monthly budget driven marketplace, where volume manufacturers compete for PCP sales.

Very nice car but not one to trouble Ferrari.

14. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    I think it will affect the demand for some, but the similarities are really in terms of the packaging (mid-engined), which is a crucial feature of the 360/430 etc. but I suspect the driving experience will be completely different. Sensory feedback, aural sensations, engine throttle response, and everything else that separates a F430 from a Porsche Boxster, both mid-engined and very different driving experience. In terms of sexiness and looks and ability to drive everyday because of absence of supercar stigma, then the C8 is all around value superstar. What I love about my F430 is that it is very analog and raw and feels light on its feet and has a personality, even with the F1 transmission, how it shifts depends on so many factors (temperature, throttle, timing etc.) that it is a joy to drive every time. Nothing can quite replace that experience; the 458 is faster but more "perfect" and the C8 in its different variants will be faster and more capable and digital.

brookliner7 likes this.
  15. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Does that say or imply that "the F car thing" does not including "(driving) daily, track, beat on, go to the mall"?

So, what then, does the F car thing include?

Lagunascorpio likes this.
  16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Club events mostly, Sunday a to a drives.

C8 all else.

17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    The Audi engine has to come out to replace the master cylinder (not sure whether brake or clutch) and I was told that it's circa £5k. £5k for a master cylinder. If this C8 is going to be similar (and I somehow think not) then it is going to be an expensive car to maintain just like any other mid-engine exotic.

18. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I’m definitely not trying to crap on the c8 or it’s design. Looks like a cool car. I’d add one to be a stablemate to an F-car in your garage.

But there is this continuous bashing of 348, 355, TR, mondial T and others where these models have belt changes and engine outs (and that supposedly greatly discourages buyers)...

I’m not so sure about that but it’s constantly harped on... ie the recent thread on the $25k engine out on youtube for a 348 where it’s anything but a typical service...

So buyers of any of these high strung mid engine cars should anticipate upkeep and regular maint... even on the C8

I’d be surprised if it has Toyota Camry hands off ownership.

All these cars have “something” that adds up. One has an engine out, but low clutch replacement costs, one has lower belts cost but very high new clutch replacement...

I wonder what the biggest C8 maint or repair cost will be?

Robb

19. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    Absolutely valid, but circling back to this thread’s main point:

In addition to the arguably less purchase cost than a 360/430, a C8 owner also won’t have to come out of pocket for that maintenance during the warranty period.

With a used 360/430... the maintenance cost specter looms from acquisition day 1.

The argument inevitably arises that the C8 depreciation during the warranty period will more than offset the maintenance costs of a used 360/430... but again the new C8 owner isn’t coming out of pocket for depreciation.

Finally... it’s not like a used 360/430 wouldn’t also continue to depreciate almost as much as the C8... if driven frequently.

Now you’re coming out of pocket for maintenance AND experiencing depreciation.

For that reason, among others, I still believe the C8 WILL impact used 360/430 sales.

20. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    But for example if you buy a used 360 f1 with a recent belt service and high clutch wear remaining, you are likely to not see these (maint costs) needed for 5 years... the same time your warranty would have run out on the C8. Unless it runs out at 3 years... what will an extended warranty on the C8 cost? So I think all things considered, there are more things to consider. :)

Sure there will be small things that crop up on both sides. Gloves are off once C8 warranty ends and depreciation hits hard.

Real question is do you have an f-car already or do you dream of an f-car? That will help drive sales away or toward C8. Maint in the above scenario would not indicate a slam dunk one direction or another. Leasing, maybe a slam dunk.

Robb

brookliner7, kes7u and KC360 FL like this.
  21. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
  22. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
  23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Mercedes—- Send it!

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Engine out for some repairs is probably unavoidable on a mid engine car. What is significant is whether they are routine. Master cylinder replacement is hardly routine, so I would be ok with that. Timing belt changes every 3 years needing engine out, or risk grenading my engine, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Apollo 11 and MalcQV like this.
  25. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    had lotus elise 8 yrs, 20k mi, many track days. zero svc other than oil and front headlight that always shorts out. have to remove tire to get at it. nothing remotely needing engine out. tg

one4torque likes this.