Silly Season 2020 F1 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Silly Season 2020 F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralphedel

ralphedel Rookie

Feb 15, 2009
    Is it likely he would or could say anything else? It would be great to see Ham and Max compete in the same cars, assuming the cars would in fact be equal. Would improve the excitement of F1 for me.

2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Max would be a fool to move to MB. RB look stronger every race, and assuming that Pirelli makes a tire suited to a broad range of teams next year RB could be the team too beat. Honda PU will only get better in 2020. Ferrari is the real mystery.

I'm 360 Canuck, Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Teams tend not to dominate for a very long period of time...They all wondered how Mclaren was stopped. Then Williams, then Ferrari (****, everyone back then said they where unbeatable...then suddenly 2005 happens and they had no wins [ignoring Indy])...and then Red Bull.

Surely the same will happen to Merc? You'd say....

G. Pepper, Jeronimo GTO and william like this.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Certainly. F1 is cyclical.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    This is why all the moaning about Mercedes dominating and F1 becoming boring because of it is just a lot of nonsense.

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    eh?

Plenty where moaning during Ferrari's domination. This forum consisted of nothing but moans when Vettel was dominating....

Where have you been?

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

People will always find something to moan about.

It's human nature to question everything instead of enjoying life as it comes.

VPX likes this.
  8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True.

I hated the years of MS domination for the same reason. The suspense was gone because it was clear he'd cruise from pole to victory. Same thing is happening with MB and Lewis. Which is why it makes now for great racing when something odd happens (Hockenheim, Zeltweg, Budapest).

There is a chance we'll eventually enter into a phase of total boredom with Max winning race and title year after year. We'll see.

G. Pepper and Bas like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's my fear if/when max gets a good car...the chance we'll be treated to some of his masterpieces will be....extremely rare.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Unless he gets paired with Lewis at MB.

Aka Prost/Senna, the sequel.

VPX likes this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

F1 has a clear history of domination. It is to be expected

william likes this.
  12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Domination ,for sure ,just ask Max (Mosley);)

Jeronimo GTO, VPX, DF1 and 2 others like this.
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You beat me to it...;)

VPX, Nembo1777 and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    His own mediocrity.
    I lost all respect for him last year because of his dirty antics to his teammate Ocon. He thinks he’s an established number 1 driver, which is silly. Gaslys skills with Maxs attitude....what a great combination! Lol

He can go to Mexican NASCAR for all I care if he likes to swap paint. His sponsor is a big reason he even has a ride in the 2nd worst team, so I don’t sweat it if he’s hard done by, by someone with a bigger sponsor that his. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

15. DF1

Esteban Ocon is set to agree a two-year deal to drive for Renault and cut his ties with Mercedes, according to reports (AutoBild)

16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    So Bottas stays and The Hulk goes where, Haas?

17. DF1

Haas LoL. Difficult to say. Maybe he is out

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's what the german article says; more exactly, that the Hulk is "looking towards Haas"...

Rgds

375+ likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Good luck with that !

I can see Ricciardo being assaulted on the track by his eventual team mate.

Ocon is safe behind a simulator, IMO.

20. DF1

Improving the show lol. :)

21. DF1

As drivers move they must adapt. Different teams and their cars yield unique structures as Sainz explains - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145434/sainz-difference-between-f1-teams-underestimated
    Sainz: Difference between F1 teams, cars underestimated

Carlos Sainz says Formula 1 teams are "a lot more different than what people imagine", and believes the value of team continuity for a driver is underestimated.

After two full seasons at Toro Rosso, Sainz's progress earned him a mid-season switch to Renault in 2017, but he was unable to nail down his place with the French manufacturer, departing after a single full season when it secured the services of Daniel Ricciardo instead.

Now with his third F1 team in McLaren, the Spaniard says the early period of adaptation for Ricciardo at Renault and Charles Leclerc at Ferrari, as well as Pierre Gasly's frustrating stint at Red Bull, have served as evidence of the particularities of each given F1 outfit.

"They are very different," Sainz said of Toro Rosso, Renault and McLaren.

"A lot more different than what people imagine. And the cars behave a lot more different than what people think.

"That's why I think you're seeing that every driver needs a few races to adapt to a team, to a car.

"We've seen it with Ricciardo this year, with Pierre, with every driver that has changed teams... Leclerc at the beginning of the year.

"You need a bit of time to find the secrets.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"And the teams work differently in every way, so it takes time and people underestimate how much performance you can extract from a package when you've been there more than one year.

"The performance that I was extracting from a Toro Rosso, that for me was not the midfield leader at any point, and sometimes being good with the Toro Rosso like I was in 2016, 2017, I only achieved it because of knowing my package and knowing how to exploit it.

"You see [Racing Point's Sergio] Perez, you see [Max] Verstappen now with Red Bull, you see [Lewis] Hamilton with Mercedes.

"It's a consequence of spending a bit of time with a team and knowing how to exploit that car to the limit."

Sainz's 58 points accrued is the best tally by a driver for a midfield team in 2019, and he is currently on a run of five top-six finishes in the past seven races.

However, in terms of pure pace he has faced a stern challenge from rookie team-mate Lando Norris, and the Spaniard says he is not yet completely in tune with the car.

"I still feel like I have a lot more room for improvement and the car has a lot of more room for improvement, myself setting the car up a bit more to my liking," he added

"We are still trying a lot of things every Friday just to see which direction I like and everything. But it's a slow process.

"What I mean is a matter of years, you know? The more years you are in a team or in something, you always learn more about the car and learn more about the team, about the people, how to extract more from every individual.

"I guess it's like any other work in the world."

Finlander, stever and william like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yet there are a few drivers who get comfortable in a team and obtain performance almost immediatly.
    Mario Andretti comes to mind; he jumped from March to Ferrari and then Lotus without problem.
    Jacques Villeneuve was immediatly competitive at Williams when he joined F1.

23. DF1

FA took the reins at Ferrari quite swift as well!

375+ likes this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Mario's F1 progression was actually Lotus, March, Ferrari, Parnelli and Lotus again(WDC) then Alfa and finally Ferrari for his swan song.

william likes this.
  25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    That moaning is one of the reasons I cannot root for Vettel even if he is at Ferrari.

After rooting against him for 1/2 a decade, suddenly he is the go-to-guy ?!?!?

Bas likes this.