Boeing 737s - in "Trains" magazine? | FerrariChat

Boeing 737s - in "Trains" magazine?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Aug 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The new September issue of "Trains" magazine has a nice, six-page article on the transport, by rail, of Boeing 737 fuselages (and other parts) from Spirit Aerosystems in Wichita to Boeing in Renton. There is a map of the route, showing the identities of the railroads involved, and all the photos are in color.

(Interestingly, the article makes no mention of the 2014 derailment in Montana that resulted in the scrapping of several 737 fuselages.)

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    We live near the rail lines that go down to Renton and we see the fuselages going by many times. It brings back the days when I had to evaluate the damage to fuselages and vertical fins from "plinkers" that shot at them when they were in transport. Sometimes cal.22's would bounce off if they were fired at an angle but the cal. 30's did not. I have often wondered how much damage the current deliveries have now.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That's strange.... couple fuselages ended up in the river.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/07/05/train-derailment-spills-boeing-737-fueslages-into-river/12258639/

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When I worked in Everett on 767, I could see large railroad cars at the other end of the assembly building that proudly said something like "Another Quality Boeing 747 Component From Northrop Corporation". When I worked at Grumman's plant in Stuart, FL where we were building the lower Section 45 for the 767, I saw that our otherwise-identical rail cars were completely blank, so I mentioned the Northrop cars and asked why we weren't advertising our work similarly.

I was told that as the cars passed through the South, advertising like that would tend to invite pot shots by redneck yahoos who wanted to see these expensive components shot full of holes. If you didn't tell them what the contents were, they would be far less likely to take pot shots, since the contents might be, well, explosive! I would think that exposed aircraft fuselages would get more respect, but maybe not.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Having grown up in the South, I understand. " Nome what ah'm sayin ?"

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The triple-stack automobile carriers on trains were originally entirely open, but are now fully enclosed to prevent bullet holes; I presume the perforated metal panels now used are at least partially bullet-resistant.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Unfortunately it's that kind of society we live in. Same issues Siemens Power Generation has when shipping massive natural gas turbines by rail.

I totally forgot about the 737 river accident. Here is a pretty cool model train with a 737...I'm surprised there aren't more of these among the train modelers. https://www.reddit.com/r/modeltrains/comments/6x1f3l/n_scale_boeing_train/

https://www.micro-trains.com/index.php?_route_=bnsf-fuselage-transportation-4pk-rel-7-17-99301560

Would make a cool thing to keep on the desk at work.

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This has been happening to the 737 barrels since Boeing first started shipping them by rail over 20 yrs ago.