Track Days/Motorsport | Page 253 | FerrariChat

Track Days/Motorsport

Discussion in 'Australia' started by b27, Apr 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein

You forgot the box of Red Mist.....oh hang on,you don't get that until tomorrow.

2. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon

You are all set, what could possibly go wrong?

Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Righto, here's the only full lap my GPS camera recorded on the day (the others are all chopped up into little clips).
    I'm not exactly flying around :p, but it's a lot of fun and I'm learning all the time.

I'm sure with more practice and growing a larger set of testicles I could shave 3 or 4 seconds off, and I guess some R spec tyres would be worth another couple of seconds.

What was really obvious towards the end was how much difference better brakes would make. I'm sure that would be the main advantage of Moretti's car.
    Might have to look at a big brake kit... :D

greg246 likes this.
  4. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    very good - excellent gearchanges :)

One quick tip, don't use the gears to slow down, downchange while you're braking. If you were going properly quickly and downchanged to 2nd (I think it was) mid corner, you'd spin instantly.

Brakes to slow down, gears to go faster.

If you're brakes were fading, try Circo Orange pads. Very good at extreme temperatures but kind to your rotors.

Remember that Horse got FTD many times with standard brakes.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  5. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cheers, Ian. :)

I did wonder about that mid corner gear-change - I know exactly where you mean.
    Chloe went out and did about 20 laps with Dean Canto (who was fantastic, btw) and apparently he was telling her to do that, so I started doing it as well.
    Up to that point I think I was going around that corner all the way in 3rd, but it was a little sluggish when accelerating away. Perhaps I could do the whole lot in 2nd?

I'll check out those pads before the next track day.

The best bit was that Chloe had an absolute ball. From being extremely nervous in the morning during the sessions on emergency braking, swerving, slalom etc. by the end of the day she was flying around on her own and driving really well. She's already talking about the next track day and wanting to be involved in drives and other events.

The down side being it could be the most expensive track day ever, as she's decided she now needs her own Ferrari and wants a Portofino... :eek:

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    So did Aircon......time after time after time

7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Cool! Gear changes exactly how I remember them from '97.

8. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Fantastic effort Steve, who could knock that F1 system it sounds great

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Steve355F1 likes this.
  9. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I knew you’d say that.
    It just goes to show how little I was pushing the car, as not one of those gear changes was in “fast” mode.
    In order for that to happen you have to have your foot to the floor and be above 6000rpm (and be in “sport” mode).
    The difference is huge.
    All of those changes on the vid are in “normal” mode and yes they’re not very fast, but they are accurate. Not a missed shift anywhere! :D
    On other laps I did feel fast mode a few times but I was mainly trying to be smooth and just get the lines right rather than quick.

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You did a good job.... Seriously

11. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thank you. Seriously. :D

12. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Remember to bleed the brakes ....... I fell asleep watching how slow you were :p

Steve355F1 likes this.
  13. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Oh, by the way, what’s the name of that camera / system that people use to record laps / speeds etc. accurately?
    V box or something?
    There’s obviously loads of lag and inaccuracy in the GPS camera.

14. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Well done, Steve! Practice will shave 10 seconds off, not 3-4. Like Ian said, try different pads first, before forking out on huge stoppers, but a warning - this gets addictive, and expensive!

Steve355F1 likes this.
  15. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Steve, the idea is to be in the appropriate gear for the speed at which you rotate the car, with the engine revs within the power band. That's probably at least 4000rpm in a 355, maybe 5000. So you approach a corner in top gear, brake as late as possible in a straight line, leaving the downshifts as late as possible, such that hitting 2nd happens just before the apex, then turn the car. Imagine you're making a V shape in slower tight corners, not an arc. If you downshift too early, you risk locking the rears and spinning. It's a punish having to make 4 changes to get to 2nd, but you should be able to do it in a couple of car lengths, so identify a reference point and use it. Meanwhile you want to keep a little pressure on the accelerator as you rotate and get your foot hard down as soon as you unwind lock.

Like I said earlier, don't rush it, just build up corner exit speed gradually. The tighter the corner, the more time can be found. You're not at the limit until you have to correct the steering on the exit. If the car isn't moving around, you're not going fast enough!

knocker and Steve355F1 like this.
  16. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Excellent. Thanks, Ian.
    It is thoroughly addictive and great fun.

I'm pleased to see our club trying to do more of these type of events, as historically here in SA there has (in my opinion) been not enough focus on fun, safe track days or driver training and too much focus on leisurely trundles and drinking coffee.
    This is the way to bring more people (and perhaps, the next generation) into the club.

It's a shame the weather was against us - it was very wet and cold in the morning but dried out later - so the turnout was small, but I really take my hat off to the organisers for doing it and hope it means there'll be plenty more.

I can say that this one day has resulted in Chloe now understanding the fun and thrill of Ferrari, now wanting to join the club, buy her own Ferrari and involve herself in the whole thing WAY more than any other event would have.

knocker likes this.
  17. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    FFS all this time I've been thinking Chloe is your dog!

DMWC likes this.
  18. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    knocker likes this.
  19. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That’s exactly what I thought!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You’re thinking of Emmy, whom’s done so may track days she’s thoroughly bored of the whole thing! :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Olio

Btw, great to see you had a good day.

Car in one piece, smiles all round - what more could you ask for?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Steve355F1 likes this.
  22. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Good to hear, track days used to be a really big part of the club, but fell away as the "brunch run" set took over.

btw if you and Chloe want to get serious, buy something like a clubman (Lotus 7 copy) with a CAMS historic log book. 20K will get you a really good one, then once you've got the hang of lap times, you can go racing, which is 10 times the fun :)

Steve355F1 likes this.
  23. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Me too, you post enough photos of your dogs driving your car :p

She looks like a female nurse, have you swapped sides ......... AGAIN ?? :p

Steve355F1 likes this.
  24. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yep and this thing looks to be stonking value.....

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2011-custom-clubman-manual/SSE-AD-6229081/?Cr=0&gts=SSE-AD-6229081&gtsSaleId=SSE-AD-6229081&gtsViewType=Spotlight&rankingType=Spotlight

25. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I can't believe it - an Aussie Fchat thread that is nearly a whole page of congratulations, helpful advice, no *****rdly complaints - congratulations Steve and may you have many more happy track days! (see they make even the most curmudgeonly old blokes happy!)

PS I was also confused about taking "Chloe" to the track!

I can't believe what the stupid profanity filter has done - idiots (or 'bots') who don't understand words...

Steve355F1 likes this.