Who remembers this poster...? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Who remembers this poster...?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Rosey, Aug 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Get yer aeroplane ticket to Cairns.....that's where they're (my sister/B/inlaw) are supposed to be on Monday.

It's a take the cork out and throw it away situation....

360C likes this.
  2. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    B/S,I did a carby run there in about '11 0r '12 in the 330 and it was gangs of fun.Plus it drew quite a bit of interest from..................................all sorts of folk...

3. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Guess what............. both cars were ****ty choices for Tasmanian conditions. As I recall you only did 1.5 Tassie tours anyway because poor Tiki got so sick on the boat trip across.

I've done a lap of Tassie at a best guestimate of way more than 50 times over the last 35 years in all sorts of cars; but mostly Ferraris. They are not the best weapons of choice and you really can't go past a RENSC; but an an active suspension McLaren model is a close 2nd.

4. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I am Karen, it really never has been better than it is now. However there is no denying that a 41 year old Ferrari is a heap of work to use and maintain compared to a recent exotic of any description.

5. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You would be happy with any of them; but I think conventional wisdom is that the most usable is a long nose, 3 carb 2 Cam.
    The most desirable and perhaps the most expensive Ferrari of all is the late Preston Hen's 1964 Ferrari 275 GTB/C Speciale. However that is really one of Enzo's "cheater cars" and was supposed to be the 1965 GTO; but the FIA didn't fall for it. This car bears little resemblance to a production 275 GTB and it is really interesting to read up about it. Mike Sheehan did a great article on it years ago; but it is no longer on the web. Herae is a bit about it from other sources:

https://www.*************/blog/1965-ferrari-275-gtbc-speciale/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-03/is-this-the-most-valuable-car-in-the-world

6. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

That was not just the year of the Pantera, he repeated it every year except the year that he won outright.

7. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

https://ferraris-online.com/death-by-storage/

As usual Sheehan is spot on. My 308 looked as gorgeous in 2014 as the day it had won outright in the FCA National Concour some 15 years earlier, and that after a 10yr $60k largely cosmetic restoration - in 1990's dollars. However it drove like crap so it was rarely used as there were always more enjoyable cars in the garage. One day I took it out with one of my boys in the passenger seat and the OHOS sailed right through the round about right outside my house - total brake failure. So began a 5yr full mechanical rebuild, and $73k (and counting) later it drives better than it has ever done. So it should because over the 2 big restorations there is not a single system, nut or bolt that hasn't been refurbished. Hence my earlier comment that I would never buy one of the shiny old ****ters on the floor of a dealership. A 41 year old Ferrari where everything works and is in perfect condition is pretty much a Unicorn.

https://ferraris-online.com/save-on-restored-cars/

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Actually, I did 2.5

I don't know why you think they were ****ty choices.... I found them both great.

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Looks like I've had a unicorn for 10 years then.

10. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Fixed

11. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Similar story with my aunt. She also wanted to be scattered around the garden. It took ages - she just wouldn't keep still...

Gizzi and knocker like this.
  12. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I see lots of RENSCs in Targa, and whilst I sneer at them for being ******* (NTTAWWT), I am a little envious of their warm, dry, quiet cabins, while I'm sitting in my noisy, leaky, cold Lotus

13. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

****ty compared to the cars that are actually good down there. The go to weapon of choice down there is a 911 Turbo with 4 wheel drive, if it's an "S" even better. Then it's a GT2RS followed by GT3RS. Seeing a pattern forming?
    Old Ferraris of any description are a long way down the pecking order.

wrxmike likes this.
  14. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Find another one besides our cars.

15. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Tell me about it! :cool: But I'm glad you're driving it again; they deserve to be loved IMHO

16. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There is a reason why you see so many and they consistently do well........ year after year after year. How many Targas did Jim Richards win in them?

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yup, great cars for their era. I've got a foot in both camps and I'll never sell my 308; but I can already tell which car will see the most use.
    The good thing about the OHOS is that you can enjoy driving at the speed limits. The new cars have utterly insane performance with a relatively minimal requirement for driver skill. Consequently you can rarely push them to anything close to their limit on public roads. Take them on the track and they are **** your pants fast. Even faster in a straight line than their GT race derivatives; but with a fraction of the aero downforce, tyre grip or brakes. You had better know what your doing too, because any accident will be a big one, with no roll cage or 6 point belts to save you. I reckon my bog standard 675LT Pop Top is as fast around Phillip Island as my old 360 Michelotto factory race car. That's a lot of progress.

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Carl's? :)

and WRX Mike's.

19. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I had no problems and enjoyed both cars. I wasn't uncomfortable, hot, cold, or anything negative. I wouldn't have had more fun in a Porsche or a McLaren or anything else. I've done long trips in modern 911s too.....I prefer the 308 TBH....but that's just me.

20. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

If Mike has kept up the servicing and uses it regularly, sure.
    Carl might get his up and running again before I draw my last breath :p
    Too many cars and other interests keep getting in the way for him.

Rosey likes this.
  21. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It's definitely just you, and didn't you inexplicably spin the 355 in a straight line on that trip? The road conditions are treacherous if you go at the wrong time of year.

I would be quite confident that my 308 in its current state would make it round a lap of Tassie without a drama. Would I enjoy it as much as the 675LT? Not a chance and I would be mentally and physically exhausted at the end of a lap in the 308. Fresh as a daisy in the 675.

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You remember correctly about the 355, but that's because they're crap, not because another car would have been more comfortable. I use noise cancelling ear buds in the 308 and I've driven 600km in a day and been fresh as a daisy. It's only the noise that's exhausting. Luckily, I can still hear the carbies sucking, but all the awful noises that are tiring and the drumming disappears. I think you're giving the McLaren more credit than it deserves....or maybe you're just much older than me :)

23. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Apparently it and the suitcase/port that it's in is about to board the aircraft as I type.

Which is great news.

kerrari and 360C like this.
  24. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Great idea! The noise is incredible at speed in those things. The first thing I noticed when I swapped cars with Gezim was how quiet the 430 was... well, after the acceleration, and the brakes, and the road holding, and the ease of driving, and the comfort. But after that, was the quiet. :p

Gizzi and Steve355F1 like this.
  25. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You can both thank Tim for that. :)

360C likes this.