Pista Exhaust Upgrade | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pista Exhaust Upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob

Can’t hear the 458 when it’s in your rear view mirror....

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #27 Shadowfax, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Pista sounds good stock and with Novi (listening to the vid) , same as 488 does. Not sure where Dusty is trying to lead with this latest troll bait :rolleyes: but i'm sure thee will be a few bites. Pity some can't just relax and appreciate the great sounds coming from turbo these days. Gh also has a point lambo perf and 3rs sound wonderful - hard to argue that....and true hard to top. But then the accel of Pista vs these is like see ya and with some great turbo sound happening along with the mad turbo rush into the stratosphere. There's a lot of thrills and excitement going on both sides of the turbo and atmo fence. Pick your poison and be happy or get both and be even happier.:D

PS. will89's on the money! I'm with you totally.

3. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    #28 Johnnugget, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    The stock exhaust of the 2019 Pista model is....well.... not as expected. Valves are closed on startup, open on idle. Valves are closing every time you lift the food off the gas. No more dirty backfiring, no flames, no deep howling. The sound made me doubt if I should keep the regular 488 just for the pleasure of it's sound.

Ferrari equipped the 488 with several different exhausts during it's lifecycle over the past years. (3 different systems to be precise)
    As we know, they had to adjust it to match the emission laws. From this perspective the Pista sounds superb for a 2019 car. But switching from a regular 488 to the Pista might disappoint you in terms of sound.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Exactly!!

5. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does anyone have more info on this? Never knew the 488 had different exhaust systems fitted over the years, very interesting. So the earlier year 488's sound more aggressive?

I have a 2017 and love the sound with valves pulled.

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The web site of eurospares.co.uk actually mentions 4 different main exhaust parts (which they call "central silencer"): ref 321610, 324752, 327047 and 844311 (superseding the 3 previous ones); there is no mention of when the changes happened.
    I have a very early 488 GTB (Sept. 2015), that should be why I did not commit suicide after hearing it ;)

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My tubi exhaust eliminates the "silencer".

LMH likes this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I believe unless its a question also to involve 458 owners thoughts MODS should delete them. Its like buying a red car and everyone telling you the paint peels after a year. I really have had enough of it.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Be a man delete this . Was it necessary to post it ?????

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's really interesting. Sent the better part of 5 hours in the 2017 488 Spider yesterday in the secluded hills of southern Sweden, and I just had so much fun with the sounds. So much aggression, tons of bangs and pops from the exhaust reverberating through the forrest like was it hunting season. The delicate whistle of the turbo, the rumble and roar of the exhaust, a living and breathing machine.

Very excited about doing that all over again come spring in the Pista Spider.

Very curious to hear how the exhaust differ.

I've heard the Pista and I thought it sounded great.

Don't recall it keeping the exhaust closed during start. The one I heard did the normal open cold start.

LMH and Shadowfax like this.
  11. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    That regular start actually has the valves closed. What you are experiencing as a louder exhaust note on cold start are the secondary air pumps.
    Fully opened valves on cold start sound like a pure race car.

LMH likes this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #37 Shadowfax, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    After driving mine home today I hear what you are saying totally. I'll have more to report on the sound (and drive) over the next day or two as I've got some proper driving lined up but so far I have to say that not having control over the valves (as I had with GTB with the Forza B2) could well prove a bigger problem than initially thought. I bloody hope not. But first impressions are a little worrying if not hugely. Desirably you would want to be able to hold those valves open on command as and when you wanted. And then I got back and moved my gt3rs.2 with jcr pipe.... as in hmm. I mean that thing really is a very tough act to follow in the sound dept ( a little unfair really). So i find myself trying not to be too judgmental at such an early stage. Like why TF did I do that ( i mean start the 3) . F!!

johnr265, MANDALAY and tekaefixe like this.
  13. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I’m also disappointed ( 4 months, 2500 km) :(

tekaefixe likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Dont pay attention to the goofs but rather the flames and sound from this aftermarket system which I've never heard of + apparently it has been tuned.

15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

You know, I got out with my friends and we do rallys and have fun and yes "occasionally" drive fast and loose. But good lord, Id never put my stuff up on the internet with the license plates visible for the world to see. Especially the cops. These guys are morons.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I warned you to ignore the goofs.

Jo Sta7 and SoCal to az like this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yes you did. :)

18. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Ahahaah thats true :D

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Actually still can because the mc and 488 so quiet

:]

xfrgtr likes this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Lol- brilliant

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Good one Dusty! Wasn't aware you had a sense of humor but good to see you can crack a funny along the way.

22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Quantum field theory?

23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Yes, she just came. The mouth was as wide as it could be.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #49 Shadowfax, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Yes it is disappointing unfortunately - the main problem appears to be an inability to control the opening of the valves in an off throttle and/or in a non sporty driving situation.

My handle on it so far is the car after 600 odd ks is that the engine is certainly more than loud enough sitting at idle, but move away off idle and the engine enters a lame/soft mode and sounds far too docile for this type of car/engine. Its not until a decent level of throttle load is applied to the engine, and its really only from 4/4500 rpm onward that the right sound level kicks back in again. And then its fine excepting the missing burbles and pops on lift off. Hmm ...that's a bit of a bummer ....not a deal breaker but where has it gone and,why has it gone?

I see the problem being solely in the inability to control the valves into the open position during these times when the car isnt' being pushed in any way. My fear in putting a full new system on the car is that the car will most likely then become too loud (and annoying) on idle and also when the engine is loaded up under throttle from say 4/4500 on, and that could become even more tiresome particularly over the course of a 2 hour solid run where the engine is mostly being loaded up under constant on off throttle anyway over that 4/4500 rpm mark (where the proper sound level engages). So to me the secret sauce is likely to be found in a valve controller rather than say a full blown system with no valves at all which again will most probably require a re-tune which i don't want least of all need in a car of this HP.

In comparison to my 488 I have to concede at this point in time that it sounded better as it had burbles and some backfires and organic type popping on throttle lift off and over run where Pista has very very little of that going on (if any) from what I've experienced so far. That said I've been deliberately keeping the revs under 5000 for the first 1000 as per Ferrari's run in recommendations for the engine....using the massive torque and no full WOT..... feeding power on under varying loads but still working the engine more than nicely enough all things considering.

It will be very interesting to see if things change once I can take the engine beyond 6000 under load in sporty driving environments. So, for now I'm going to reserve final judgement until then which shouldn't be too far off now anyway. However, for all of that, it still does not alleviate - or excuse - the situation where when the car is running at trafficable engine speeds that it sounds far too soft/lame for a car of this HP and intent, and being an SV only makes matters even worse. Not sure what Ferrari was thinking here?? Heck my 2rs even sounds way louder and tougher around town speeds. - you can hear that car coming - ...and dare I say sound wise equally compelling through the corners....and, it has some amazing random bangs and pops on the over run/lift off.!! And, the .23rs - hmm well that's just another story altogether....so let's not even go there for now.

LMH, Ash Patel, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  25. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Awaiting your full review once you pass the 1000km mark!!