Russian A321 lands in a cornfield after birdstrike at take off | FerrariChat

Russian A321 lands in a cornfield after birdstrike at take off

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by nerofer, Aug 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    During my primary flight training, my instructor asked me an unusual question: "Crops or cows?" I was confused. I asked him "Crops or cows what?" He repeated with more detail. Would you rather land in a crop field or a cow pasture? I thought about it a minute and said "I give up, which?" He answered, "Always crops, and if there's a corn field, land in corn."

The logic goes that since crops have to have a level field, devoid of things like rocks and revines, a crop field is the best to land in an emergency. Corn, being tall, wet and massive, is the best since it's like landing on an aircraft carrier and catching the wire. Corn will slow an aircraft down fast and safely, coating the entire thing with very wet and gooey plant juice. Nature's fire extinguisher. Always land with the furrows and not against them, even if the wind is wrong.

So if you're ever out flying and have to make that decision, go for the corn!

Bravo68 likes this.
  3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Things must have changed. In the 70's my instructor said to choose beans (soybeans) over corn. You really don't want an aircraft carrier style arrested landing if you don't have a 4-pt shoulder harness.

4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Pot fields are the best...the fire after is great to be around...

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In the 40's my instructor chewed me out for not lining up with the furrows on a practice forced landing. I was happy that I got it over the fence. I had 4 "forced landings" on my PPL check ride.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

In the 60's, a good friends father died in a forced landing south of Albuquerque. Engine quit. Bonanza.

Pilot landed perpendicular to the furrows.
    The plane flipped and everyone was killed.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I fully agree and point well made. I had only a few hours at the time and I was concentrating on making it to the field. I understand , also, that there are times when it isn't possible to realign an approach. Adding the danger of a stall- spin arrival.