Mid Engine Corvette to be introed tomorrow, Predicting it will hurt used Ferrari V8 resales | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Mid Engine Corvette to be introed tomorrow, Predicting it will hurt used Ferrari V8 resales

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Jul 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    thecarreaper likes this.
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    that's 'downforce' :)
    drag is bad, downforce is good (good drag?)

TheMayor likes this.
  3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honestly no different than an F1 car. Some cars are lower drag and get higher speed traps but won't get as much grip in the corners. Its a trade off. But I think its good to put the proper numbers with the proper configuration and be honest about what it will do

intrepidcva11 likes this.
  4. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
  5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Amen

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    So, $995 to camouflage those two ugly black boomerangs on the side of the car into body color! The solution: get a black car and avoid the upcharge!

TheMayor likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #132 BJK, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    um yeah, this is all covered in other C8 threads.
    but if you want to start ANOTHER new C8 thread, that is your right. :)

8. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I haven't seen it in the quarter panels or picture threads in this section. Makes it easy to find as there are so many other threads all over.

xotik, Jaguar36, sainthoo and 3 others like this.
  9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sounds like a very logical guess to me. I’ll be curious to see what they rate the top speed of the Z06 at. Could it be 220+? It’s an irrelevant statistic but fun to brag about nonetheless.

10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Could very well be slower, with lots more downforce. Unless they do active aero, which I doubt because of cost. It's not just mechanical bits, but computers (with lots of code) and sensors/integration.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its also the rear grills but I agree with you, these are better replaced with real CF.

Now before you complain about the price remember Ferrari charges $1800 for two badges costing them $10. :)

That being said, I think the painting of the calipers and the seat belt color selection are just nutty by GM standards. FIAT charges $100 for red calipers. GM charges $600?

pearsonhaus likes this.
  12. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Hmm, specced how I'd like it, I'm in the low $80's before deciding what to do about the wheels. I'm not crazy about any of the options, so that'd likely have to be aftermarket. I was hoping to land at $75k.

2LT: $67,295
    Rapid Blue $500
    Z51 Performance Package† $5,000
    GT2 Seats $1,495
    Seats, Two Tone $395
    Carbon Fiber Interior Trim $1,500
    Blue Seat Belts $395
    Front Lift Adjustable Height with Memory $1,495
    Engine Appearance Package $995
    Removable Visible Carbon Fiber Roof Panel $2,495

13. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    GM probably trolls FerrariChat and estimates that this crewe will think $600 is a bargain!

14. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    $600 is pricey, though not crazy high. My Alfa 4C's yellow calipers were only a $300 option by comparison and the 4C was at a similar price point.

Still, I suppose with the low base price, GM has to make their money somewhere.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The only big option I want is the convertible. If it comes in about 6k that would be acceptable

The only question would be the 2lt or 3LT interior, the lift, and possible the exhaust when I learn more. Black calipers are ok for me. CF? Meh. It's going to be my daily driver so I'm more interested in usefulness.

I figure somewhere between 75 and 80.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  16. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Haven’t added it all up, sorta on purpose.
    3Lt
    Z51
    Comp seats
    Long Beach red, dipped tan interior
    Front lift
    Body color side trim
    +/- high wing, interior carbon fiber

$80+K

Probably have to get some after market wheels too. Standard wheels are meh. Do not like the snowflakes at all.

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

So $80K, what's the car worth in 3 years with 30K miles? $35K maybe. Meh.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I bought an F430 spider in 2008 for $195,000. In 2012 I traded it with 5000 miles on it for a 2012 458 coupe. Trade in value: $130,000.

In those 3 and half years I could have just about bought an entire C8.

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I still say Z51 is nice to have for both performance and resale value.

My C6 is a 2006, the second year of the C6 line, one of the lowest curb weights (3200lbs) and the z51 package is more desirable than the mag ride or base level cars.

Yes, its 13 years old, yes my car is "only" an LS2 with "only" 400Hp/400TQ, but for around $20,000 gently used and good miles there is nothing on the used car market that compares that I could find.
    Have had over 250+ cars in my lifetime thus far.

The 2006 Z51 had a 0-60 of mid 4 something seconds, a quarter mile time in the low 12.*s @110 or so and max speed of 186.

Where the hell are you going to use up this much power on public roads? Police State is a real thing.

The z51 brakes are the best brakes of any factory fun car I have ever driven, including way more expensive friends cars I was allowed to drive.

You are more likely to be rear ended because you can stop so much better than everyone else, than run into something in front of you. :)

The suspension is fine on average Ga roads and WAY WAY better than the "classic" 911 /930 P-cars of the late 80's my butt dyno is calibrated for.

The C8 in a few years is going to decimate used sports car values when they start to depreciate. What you can get for your $$$$ has changed for the better.

I remember when WS6 4 speed Trans Ams were hot :)

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Im sure you know, you bought a car in/or leading to the worst economic year in 70 years and sold a car in the worst economic time possible. What do you think corvette prices were doing then and for that matter 330GTCs, Dinos, F40s and eveything else on the planet.

What is Ferrari depreciation now in 3 years 30%-35%?

Bob, let's not make this car out to be the end all of modern sports cars. It could possibly be a bit of a disapointment, unless you just want to do 0-60 in under 3 seconds everywhere.

I know you want it as a DD and I know you will be honest about your actual experience with the car and I like many others are waiting to hear any actual experience from behind the wheel, other than a GM related person.

But as I have stated, no standard trans, no deal for me. I also keep seeing more and more photos of the car and the more I see of it the less inpressive the styling is, but it is a great value for folks who need a ME car to satisfy something. I get satisfaction from cars in many ways. ME it does not have to be.

I would not want to drive a sports car as as DD they are too low to get in and out of constantly, but I'm also a geezer.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    IPO1 likes this.
  22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    In 4 yrs? used C8's are going to kill used CORVETTE values (C7 and prior). C7's (very good car) will be a bargain.

23. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Not a chance in my opinion.

I think the normal new car depreciation they use on most leases will hold. 3 years - 40% depreciation, so an $80 k car is worth $48k.

I bought a 2013 California in 2014 for $175k when it was 2 years old. Sold it 3 years later for $125k. That was a chunk of change, but not unusual in Ferrari depreciation cycles.

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Depreciation:

Depends on the car. Some 12 cylinder and the front engine 8's still get hammered. And look at McLaren. You can see some that have lost $100k in value in one YEAR. Aston Martins also.

So I don't view a car that cost $80 grand total as much of a risk for depreciation. Its all relative.

Lack of Manual:

totally agree. But getting a manual anywhere is tough today.

Daily Driver

This is kinda what Chevy does best. It knows how to build something that will last and be easier for us older types to live with.

The C8 is NOT a perfect car in the least. There are things I don't like about it. But there are enough things about it to overcome it and I happen to need a Daily Driver next year.

Shoot me. :)

Pawilly and of2worlds like this.