New Ford GT | Page 93 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Took me about 100 miles to get comfortable with the wheel. The sound? Not a high winding short stroke v12 but it makes plenty of power. Welcome to our future.

DIGMAN52, Phil~ and Boomhauer like this.
  2. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Mine just turned 1000 miles. To be fair, the tank is on the smallish side, the turn signal buttons should be higher on the steering wheel and I have barely enough storage space to pack a handkerchief. Other than that, I can’t fault it. I love the noises it makes. No, it isn’t a melodious engine like the ones found in a Ferrari, but it sounds angry as hell. There is a multitude of clicks, whirs and beeps on start-up that make me think I’m launching a Saturn V. The throttle bodies clack when the throttle is depressed and the car is off. The pops and whooshes at speed are very cool. There is very little sound deadening, so you hear everything. It’s a very mechanical experience, which surprises me for a car so high tech. I love it. I wish I could justify a Mk. II.

Ky1e, Boomhauer, Phil~ and 4 others like this.
  3. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland

Normally dont watch Shmee but I have to say his joy is infectious. He is driving the car for two months through the US, epic trip

4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Disregard....VVVV

So that’s the Coming Soon promo video. I can’t seem to find the real video.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't think there will be a "flood" immediately, but rather a building trickle as initial production was very slow at first and a rolling no-sale date will mirror the build in deliveries over the past two years. First cars reaching expiration of the no-sale date will probably be the most initially valuable. Will be interesting to see if the secondary market gradually erodes to MSRP levels while new production continues.

BJK likes this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I disagree -- which is why I felt this was a stupid policy in the first place. It was no skin off Ford's nose to let the market take a free hand. They wouldn't make any more or less money in resale (unless they required the cars be resold through Ford dealers which they didn't).

What you're going to get is everyone trying to be first to get the biggest payoff. All they did is screw up the free market for 2 years. Now it has to be corrected.

The first ones that go up will get the biggest numbers. Others will see this and want to cash in as soon as they can before prices fall. Then with more cars on the market (and resold more than once) prices fall and people want to bail out to protect their half a million dollar investment. No different than the crash of speculative RE.

This is not going to end well for most GT-40 owners. Ford should have let people sell the cars when they felt they wanted to or needed to. They should have let the cars float at the price consumers wanted to pay and not artificially affect the market. Now, there has to be a correction period.

9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    It would be fiscally irresponsible to turn away from $1,000,000.+ profit ;) . Can't blame anyone for jumping at that.
    I can't imagine 2nd gen's ever coming down to msrp. Hasn't gotten even close with 1st gen's has it?

10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I agree with your post except this part. There will be 'stupid', massive profit, and 'less' profit. But I don't think any original Ford GT (not GT-40, sorry) owner will be hurting.
    Now, someone that shells out $2 mil for one now, that's another story.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Some will win. No question. Most though will lose as they are now at the whim of an artificial market no one can predict.

If they let the price of the cars float from the beginning there would be no mystery now. Its no different than if you told Apple shareholders they could not sell their stock and it was off the market for two years. Then, suddenly, its available to sell and buy again and everyone speculates on the "new" Apple stock price.

You either have a free market or you have an artificial market. Banning resales created a shortage by restriction. Now, the real price has to be establish with a few being "the lucky ones" and most being "the losers"

12. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    I know of a few that have already "matured" and have sold.

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    annnd..... ballpark sale prices?

14. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    No different, at all, than the LaFerrari market. The first who were allowed to sell, and chose to sell early, made the largest profit. After supply and demand reach a more stable equilibrium, market prices stabilize as well. Early sellers do indeed benefit, but they would have benefited 2 years ago, instead of now, had the "no-sell" rule been absent. Everything is just delayed 2 years, that's all.

In any case, "market equilibrium" is reached (sooner, or later) once enough cars start changing hands to establish something close to a "market price".

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Totally agree! But who of us is going to say Ford should do what Ferrari does?

Not me. Ford should do better.

16. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    meh ... just a delay. No consequences, really.

Joe buys his car in March of 2017. He sells in March of 2017 (if there were no "anti-flip" rule), or has to wait until March of 2019.
    Harry buys in May of 2017. He sells in May of 2017, or has to wait until May of 2019.
    Fred buys in June of 2017 ... yada yada

2 year delay, that's all. The early owners/sellers make the highest profit ... now, or 2 years later.

The only real differences would be: those who violate the contract, and sell before they're allowed (this violates the "2-year delay" model) ... or, if the market value of "first-to-market" Ford GT's were to drop during the 2-year delay. Don't really see that happening, so all market dynamics are simply delayed by 2 years.

17. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Just not my position to say.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#2318 dwhite, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    And if they just waited, they could have gotten the new Corvette C8. What dopes.

It does 0-60 in under 3 seconds, cost less than $60K and will be able to be sold for 75% or less of retail 12 months - 18 months later. ;-)

As I may be on the hunt for an 05-06 FGT. I was lucky to recently drive an 06 ford gt with a pulley( 670hp and 600ft tq), lowered and a short shift kit (yep a manual as are all of them). It was insane and I felt it probably had more hp than I needed, and they have no nannies to protect the stupid.

19. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I don't think that one Corvette will be sold at 60K or less!

Joe

20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not if you live in a state that requires a front license plate, which in turn requires the $15 front license plate mounting bracket.

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  22. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I have a 2020 FGT and I truly dont care about resale. I've put 1000 miles in the first 2 weeks and love it. Dont plan on selling and when i do (my guess would be 10+ years if at all), I'll know I enjoyed it. I bet it sells for more than the $600K I paid so I guess i'm being paid to enjoy this great machine. If you are doing it for an investment, invest in the S&P. If you are buying it second hand you got the cash to splurge on fun so who cares.

Boomhauer and G. Pepper like this.
  23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It may or may not sell for more them you paid. The 2005 gt sold and continues to maintain its value because of the direct link to the original car, and its history. The new movie wìll only drive values further up I think. The new gt does not share the same history other then the name.

Awsome car..congrats and enjoy it. But it will never have the same draw as the original reincarnation. You are a lucky man to have one of those btw. They are an amazing machine..

24. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I think that's highly debatable. The new Ford GT has something the 05 doesn't: a racing pedigree. I personally find the new car to be significantly more desirable than the 05.

The 05 shares nothing with the original GT40 other than looks and a similar name. How is that any different than the current car?

Boomhauer and Davesvt2000 like this.
  25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    "Other then looks". That is the key the the entire draw to the car. Not to many people can afford the 15-20 million for an orginal. 300k is a deal to get close enough and constructed by the original manufacturer.

Davesvt2000 likes this.