ATE Brake Caliper Bolts | FerrariChat

ATE Brake Caliper Bolts

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Aug 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,
    I was curious if anyone has found a source for the ATE brake caliper bolts that secure both halves of the caliper? One of my calipers look to have been extremely overtightened to the point where the inside of the Torx bolt is now rounded... and I am going to have to drill out the bolt... argh... Interestingly someone did the same on the other side, as the bolts heads are completely different.

I have sent messages to the usual suppliers, but thought I would ask here too.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

2. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ATE Calipers were used in Porsches, Mercs and BMW's of the era, I'd look there.

3. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hello Sam......reference my old thread "55027 brakes".....I ordered rebuilt calipers to rob pistons & seals out of them just for the parts.
    But.....I did not split the halves to keep the fat O-rings or the bolts....sorry, ( should have, I guess ), I would give you a couple.
    However, if you find Car Done or similar rebuilt calipers #'s 19236 or 19237 at around $30 for either one, "borrow" the bolts you need & return the parts as the core.

Gary

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Michael,

Indeed, I have been looking at these other makes as well with no success just yet. The problem is the Ferrari version of the ATE calipers use longer bolts in order to accommodate the spacer between the caliper halves. Outside of the spacer and bolt length, you are quite correct that the ATE calipers are the same. That being said, I am still looking.

Thank you for your post!

Cheers,

Sam

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Gary,

That was a great thread you created! I used it for a few ideas and had thought about buying rebuilt calipers for parts. Sadly, I could not find the Cardone calipers here in Canada at the various suppliers for a reasonable price. RockAuto has the calipers and will ship to Canada for about $160. The core charge is $22 for one and $35 for the other, but past customers have had a lot of issues with getting their core refunds back. Also, shipping the cores back to the US is somewhat pricey and so it would almost be awash.

I was able to find some bolts on McMaster Carr that are really close. Instead of the chamfered bolt heads, the ones I found are Allen Head shoulder bolts and are Black Oxide like the originals. They are stock and inexpensive at $8 for a quantity of 25:

https://www.mcmaster.com/91290a456

These would be suitable for the rear caliper. Interestingly, the opposite side caliper uses bolts that are very similar to the McMaster bolts. Here the bolt is not an Allen bolt, but a Spline (Thanks Paul for the Correction). I suspect that someone had the same issue as me and so replaced the bolts with this version for probably the same reason.

If I am unable to find the same ATE Chamfered bolts I will go with the McMaster bolts and if so I will post some pics on these.

Thanks again for your post!

Cheers,

Sam

6. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Sam

Good point, I noticed the calipers for my 1750 Alfa are basically the same as my GTB, except for the spacer on the Ferrari caliper to accomodate the wider, vented caliper.

Superformance UK have caliper bolts for the 308 ATE calipers, perhaps they will fit ?
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/brakes.html

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Michael,

Thanks for pointing out the 308 section on Superformance. I looked yesterday under the 365/400 section and none of these bolts were shown... and I did not think to check the other sections, thank you! I will have to e-mail them to find out the bolt lengths. Interesting, the front caliper halve bolts had a measured diameter of 9mm which I thought I made a mistake... but Superformance shows caliper bolts at 9mm and so I guess my measurement was not wrong. Thankfully the issue is with rear caliper bolts which measured 8mm x1.25 which can be easily get from McMaster Carr.

Before I go too far, I am checking with a local shop that apparently can get ATE parts from his suppliers and so I will see how this unfolds.

Thanks again for your post!

Cheers,

Sam

8. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
  9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day ken,

Excellent, thank you! I will dig a bit to see what they have.

Cheers,

Sam

10. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Hello Sam,

What ever came of this search?

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jeff,

Belmetric has a ton of metric fasteners, but I could not find the tapered head style like used on the calipers. I did order u[p the McMaster Carr Allen head fasteners mentioned about and they perfect and will work well until I can find the same bolts with the ATE style tapered heads. Sadly, I have not done anything further since my last post, as I got side tracked with work duties and other items. I will have to go back to my brake shelf to see where I left off and will report back if I found anything more.

With that said, Superformance does have the 7mm with the tapered head and the 9mm with a Hex head (thanks to Mike for pointing me in that direction). What sizes and head style are you looking for?

Cheers,

Sam

12. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    I split the calipers on the 77 308 and one of the Ribe bolts was stripped, I was able to get it out and torque it back down so it will be the next owners problem ;)

Jeff