Are we in for a long Ferrari F1 drought? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Are we in for a long Ferrari F1 drought?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Aug 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ferrari firmly believes that sacking team principals and technical directors is the way to get things done. Rule by fear.

It takes 3 years minimum to create a serious championship challenger. Ferrari has a tendency of late to sack before this time even.

It's not good for team morale. The pressure is not helping. The upgrades are either too conservative or too extreme (and fail).

I don't think Mattia is team principal material...he appears uncomfortable. I think he's far better suited to remain more behind the scenes.

Ferrari needs to stop sticking to ensuring that, most of all, an employee is Italian. Hire the right person for the job, not the right nationality/gender/other. Until they do that, Ferrari will keep falling over themselves. Will they have quick cars? Of course they will. But they'll find ways of tripping over themselves constantly and organized teams such as Mercedes and Red Bull will be there to pick up the points...again.

DGPF, william, bmwracer and 1 other person like this.
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Still think Binotto is the right man but needs a good right hand man. Every main team has 2 prominent managing figures but Ferrari only one?

stavura and Bas like this.
  3. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Kimi doesn't mind to stay Ferrari's last F1 champion ever. :D

DGPF, MalcQV, Bas and 2 others like this.
  4. Interceptor

Interceptor Karting

Apr 10, 2009
    "

"Niki Lauda (1975)
    then four years of being at the top until Jody Scheckter (1979)"
    NOPE! You forget 1977.

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agree, but like I say, he's far better behind the scenes and have a guy like Horner do the team management.

Jeronimo GTO and stavura like this.
  6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    If I had to poach somebody from Red Bull it wouldn’t be Horner. Don’t think he adds that much value. Newey on the other hand, does anybody think we wouldn’t win with him on board? The car is just too slow other than on straights

william likes this.
  7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    IMO Horner would be the man, he has the experience to build a cohesive team.

1. Newey would never entertain going to Ferrari, they have made serious (eye watering) offers in the past and has flatly rejected every attempt.
    2. Whilst the technical facilities may be tempting, he wouldn't get the design freedom without politics & interference.
    3. He has never forgotten the witchhunt against him re: Senna
    4. He wouldn't work in Italy.
    = we wouldn't win with just him or it would take years and SF are to impatient, they want results
    Tony

Bas likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    You are absolutely right, of course. But, considering that we have been waiting for 12 years already, the matter shows a failure in my own brain, however it does not contradict the 11 or 21 years law anymore...

Rgds

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Au contraire...I think Horner adds a great deal to RBR. His management of his team and the top brass that rules him is impeccable. His bosses aren't easy to work with. Horner, an ex racer himself and now a very well experienced team boss, has a unique way of dealing and portraying to the top brass exactly why things take time. Same goes to the rest of his team.

That said I don't think he'll leave the RBR stables. No reason to go to Ferrari and enter certain uncertainty when he can stay at Red Bull where they're about to win a series of titles again...

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I’d keep Binotto over Horner a thousand times over. All he’s good at is complaining imo. Can’t even manage his own drivers properly

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Binotto is a fine TD but I don't think he's suited to be team principal.

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In a nutshell ...

Bas likes this.
  13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Imagine Ferrari poaching Horner, Newey and Vestappen from Red Bull !!

After all, they did that in the past with some succes from Benetton ...

MalcQV and Bas like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    would be great but oh so unlikely...sadly.

DF1 likes this.
  15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    He would have complemented perfectly Marchionne