2019 Indy Car | Page 20 | FerrariChat

2019 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Maybe the problem is we don't see what is going on behind the scenes. This simply may be a marketing operation to effectively increase McLaren's exposure to the USA customer base. The entire way the last year was done seemed rather unusual. How one prepared for the Indy 500 seemed almost comical. I can not see how one can wait unitl a few months away before preparing for the race. Most preparation for the 500 begins the day after the previous years 500. SPM will benefit from this but I can not see them giving a customer a 500 winning car. Fred is an excellent driver, but without the supporting cast, he simply becomes another driver. I would like to know why McLaren simply didn't offer Team Penske the funds and give Fred every opportunity to win. Same for Andretti. They have all the tools to put the name McLaren in the victory lane.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Think you're on to something on the behind the scenes part.

BHW

3. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I think Roger Penske is very prideful about his now 18 Indy 500 victories. He's prideful of Team Penske's over 500 victories. I think partnering with McLaren, even it results in a victory sorta tarnishes his history. In other words, he doesn't need them.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Four races remaining on the Indy Car schedule starting with Pocono this weekend.

It's coming down to a four way dice between Newgarden, Rossi, Pagenaud and Dixon.

Can Dixon pull off another miracle?

BHW

Jakuzzi likes this.
  5. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I think Newgarden is going to take it.

6. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Agree. But I think Roger will never pass up a business opportunity. When money is to be made in the racing world, Roger is usually several steps ahead of his competition. Hence the Penske mystique. His motto rings true to that ideal. "Effort equals results"

lorenzobandini likes this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    How much more money does the guy need? I doubt that is driving him...whereas he probably can't get enough Indy 500 wins ever. I don't see why he would dilute an Indy 500 win as Penske-McLaren when it could just be Penske alone. He has nothing to really to gain by joining with them. If anything, McLaren would take away resources from the main Penske cars and make them worse off.

8. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Depends. It really boils down to how it benefits Penske. I don't think he would leave any options on the table. If he can benefit from it, I think he would look at it. McLaren may offer something for his organization. Maybe not for his race team, but for the Penske Corporation....possibly.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Didn't Penske not help the Chevy-powered McLaren this past 500 when McLaren went up and down asking for help? Andretti did and they are Honda...

10. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Not sure. But in their defense, It may be by contract that they can not offer information. How contracts are written determines who gets what. I do not doubt Penske has made sure they are at the top of the list when it comes to information and technical advantage. And considering the Penske position with GM, I would think they are the team GM wants to keep happy.

11. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I'll take Rossi. So close last year, man on fire at times this year.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  12. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Yeah that rumor was started by Paul Tracy that they got Penske shocks. I think it beared out to be false.

13. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    #488 Nortonious, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Pocono about to begin. The series leaders at front of grid due to Qualifying rain issues.

Oh hell. Crash in first lap. RHR, Sato upside down, Hinchcliffe, Rosenqvist, and Rossi....dammit. Looks like everyone ok tho.

Sato came down into Rossi? WTH

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Scary stuff...a few flying wings look dangerous and the cockpit-style windshield next year should make it safer from people getting Sato'd.

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Sato out of control as usual.....:rolleyes:

16. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Yet another nasty crash at this track. I get that racing is dangerous, but it's flat out stupid at Pocono.

No idea what Sato was thinking there.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I think we just saw *why* we have qualifying.
    The points leaders are not always fast at every track.
    Rossi was getting passed by everyone.
    Dixon had slowed.
    Sato was flying with nowhere to go.
    Rather than slowing, he aimed for daylight -- and didn't fit.

Putting slow cars up front on a track where position is so important is a disaster in the making.

lorenzobandini and Nortonious like this.
  18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I still don't understand why they did that yesterday.

Ok, qualifying was rained out, but with practice in the dry sunny afternoon. Why didn't they just call the afternoon session qualifying?

lorenzobandini likes this.
  19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Race called on account of a Penske car got out in front. ;)
    (And lightning. :p)

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And Santino Ferrucci drove another heady race.

pilotoCS and Jack-the-lad like this.
  21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree. set the field based on practice speeds if nothing else.

(this is actually my solution for NASCAR's qualifying dilemma too. or just stop selling broadcast rights to it :p)

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I still have a hard time with this kid (and his dad) after his (mis)adventures in Europe, but the dude can wheel a car.

reminds me a bit of Rossi and Wickens when they came into IndyCar and were immediately quick...

on the other hand, Conor "why don't I have a full time ride" Daly once again finished 11th, out of 12 cars on the lead lap, and 15 cars running at the finish. I don't understand why people pay him any attention at all, other than his dad and stepdad's connections.

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    You would be right. The rules states that when a Penske car is in the lead, the race can be called. Ask Roger, he wrote it ! :p

pilotoCS likes this.
  24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    It's good to see so many F-chatters commenting on IndyCar.

Please trade Pocono for the Milwaukee Mile . . . . . please, please, PLEASE!!

GuyIncognito likes this.
  25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The Pocono race was indeed unfortunate.

Reading elsewhere that it was in fact Rossi who moved up into Sato as careful analysis shows
    how he gently moved right and Sato was there on a blinder and the initial contact was made.
    Still, that doesn't excuse Sato from cutting down on Rossi the way he did.

For sure, there is now bad blood between Rossi and Sato which is unfortunate. Good that
    everyone came away relatively unscathed although Rosenqvist is going to be sore today
    for sure.

Thinking in the instance of Indy Cars and how it appeared Sato (and Dixon was so much faster)
    as he was driving past Rossi as if he was standing still, evidently on the "Push to Pass" button.
    Perhaps Indy Car should rethink this and take a page out of F-1's book with the DRS which they
    allow two or three laps into a race, perhaps this may be a solution in Indy Car as well.

Pity about the weather, it certainly ruined what was otherwise shaping up to be a great finish
    with all Penskes and Dixon vying for the lead.

Pocono looks like a dilapidated hell hole. Noticed for the second time, track workers putting up
    a metal framed fence up where damage to the catch fencing happened. This hardly seems like
    a viable solution.

Indy Car's future participation needs to be seriously reconsidered and not just on the schedule
    because Robin Miller thinks it's a good idea.

BHW

DGS likes this.