488 - Has any owner weighed the Pista yet? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

488 Has any owner weighed the Pista yet?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Aug 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Certainly not a catastrophe but you want to see them progress. Ferraris engines and chases are masterful but there is always room for improvement. 100 kilos is significant especially when you add in other bits that can lighten a car not to mention the torsional rigidity you get with FRP's.

kandi likes this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Do you believe McLaren will eventually design and build their own engine ? Or continue using a Nissan engine and make sure no model has a lid to open to look at the master piece or lack of ?

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Possibly but rather than spouting silliness go do your homework and better understand their involvement in the powertrain that has set the benchmark for all others from a performance standpoint. Not bad for an 8 year old company.

I would bet they continue to progress, time will tell.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I have , still an improved Nissan engine , isn't it. Yes agreed not bad for 8 years. But Maclaren I still see as a company not making their own engines , like the many others e.g Lotus
    The engine is the heart and on a 600 k car I want to see it

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Jesus. Come on man. You can come up with better critiques than that.

Complain about too many models, or the depreciation, or the build quality- but complaining about an engine that kicks every other cars ass in its class.....really?

BJK, IPO1, Gh21631 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Do you prefer the McLaren engine to the Performante’s?

7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Can’t say that I ever thought about the two engines as a comparison. Both have their pluses. Performante is one of my favorite cars. I love it. 720
    - masterful in its own right.

This is not a zero sum game. Two cars can be great.

Gh21631 and tekaefixe like this.
  8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The McLaren’s engine doesn’t stop the car from being great but only one of those is a great engine - the Perf’s. The McLaren’s engine is powerful but is not an inspiring part of the car. It is a functional part of the car only.

MANDALAY and REALZEUS like this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ummm...ok.

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I dont know Luke, Ive had 2 720s and would buy another. You need to keep an open mind vs. a preconceived bias. The 720 is a great car, everything from the looks, power, chassis and suspension are spot on. Their issues which they are aware of are consistent levels of quality, a better dealer network and building cars without a customer attached. The engine is not their Achilles heel.

IPO1 likes this.
  11. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    they're simply not, funnily enough when asking random people about them the SLR and P1 were the common cars that the general public kept naming, most have no idea though.

it takes a very long time to build up a brand to this level though and to be honest the demise of top gear doesn't help as the clarkson era of the show really pushed things onto non-car people

for ex the clk black series wasn't selling that well, after the tg episode on it my dealer said he was getting non-stop calls and even offered to buy customers cars back to sell on at a premium, the show had huge play

REALZEUS likes this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Perhaps they need to hire a better PR/marketing company. Even their website stinks.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the McLaren name has become more of a household name in recent years, at least among people who has some kind of car interests. With shows like Top Gear and Fifth Gear, it is inevitable that a lot of people will come to know the brand names.

What is different is the fact that a lot of people, including car guys, kind of have a hard time keeping up with McLaren and their products. Young people who just like cars in general surely know the P1 and 12C, and perhaps a few others of the most recent. But the issue is that McLarens all look the same.
    I will be 100% honest and say that I don't have a huge interest in McLaren at this point, in part due to the fact that it all seems so generic and dull, but if I went to a car show and there was six different McLarens lined up, and none of them were the F1 and P1, I would have one hell of a hard time knowing what was what. I think the McLaren name is a household name at this point, and a lot of people know a lot of the models by name, but very few can actually recognize them and tell the difference.

This is where I think Ferrari truly shines. Of course it's a household name, and as with McLaren car guys and other interested people know a bunch of the models by name. But it strikes me that a lot of people also seem to be able to recognize them and tell them apart, and that's important.

I think Lamborghini has gone down that same path as McLaren. Very distinctive for the brand itself, but the V10 line is just the same dull generic wedge, that will come in about 20-25 odd incarnations over the next 10 years.

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 720S aesthetic is unlike any other McLaren design as is the Senna. The other models - 650, 570S do have an overtly family look with distinctions that have little differences. Ferrari 488, Pista and F8 share a commonality of side appearance with the significant differentiators being the front and rear.Lamborghini V10 models from the Gallardo to the Huracan and the V-12 Aventador share little aesthetic similiarity and are the most distinctive looking cars of any. I look to non car people for their unbiased, opinions and the universal statement is " No other car looks like a Lamborghini. " Calling the V10 "the same dull generic wedge" is a subjective statement shared by very few. I am not suggesting that the Lamborghini design signature is categorically the most appealing, only that it is undeniably the most unique.

Surfah likes this.
  15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Surfah and Gh21631 like this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Put a Ferrari next to a Mclaren. The Ferrari looks generic, almost pedestrian. This has nothing to do with which car is "better" or which brand is "better" as I'm certain there can be a 100 pages debated on the merits - but as far as looks - a Mclaren is far from generic and dull.

Of the 3 brands, looks wise- I think Lambo looks the best, then Mclaren and then ferrari- but its not that Ferrari is bad looking or antyhing- they are just the most conservative in their design- dare I say almost dull....

BJK, Surfah, Gh21631 and 2 others like this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have owned a 12C Spider and driven a 675 Spider. I wouldn’t have thought the 720 engine is any more engaging, just more powerful. I didn’t say the engine was their Achilles heel although Ferrari’s in-house engines are a strength for them. It’s just that the Mac engine always feels functional to me - very capable at propelling the car at great speed but it’s the other parts of a Mac that provide the real excitement; chassis, driving position, steering and ability to go fast anywhere. I’m not saying the engine is a demerit - it has tremendous power and decent torque and the lag, though it’s obvious, is not too much of an issue. It’s a neutral element. It’s not about making your own engine (which is the best idea if you can) because the BMW unit in the F1 is supposed to be wonderful.

18. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Making judgements based on a 12c....ooffff....go drive a 720 and report back.

SoCal to az likes this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The Ferrari is a classic example of understated elegance whose design aesthetic is meant to please rather than excite. Ferrari does not make bold statements that demands attention but rather subtly invites a longingly gaze which ultimately develops into an affectionate embrace.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    aka - boring :D

tekaefixe and SoCal to az like this.
  21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mclaren has pushed the envelope more than any super car manufacturer in the last 5 years. They simply outperform the competition and the carbon tub is a big deal. They suffer from QC issues though and lack of a dealer network (as was stated) that stops a lot of buyers from trying them out.

tekaefixe, IPO1 and SoCal to az like this.
  22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    So you’re telling me the 720’s engine feels like a completely different engine to a 675? I somehow doubt that the link between the two engines isn’t very obvious. 488 and Pista engine are different in rawness and power but you know they share the same genes. And why don’t the press, who drive all these cars over multiple people, acclaim the 720’s engine? Their comments are not really as enthusiastic about the engine as they are the car itself.

23. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Read what I wrote...I said 12c (which you compared it to). Either way you won't know until you actually drive a 720.

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I hear this but dont get it. They have a few products, more than Lambo but nowhere near as many as Ferrari or Porsche. I think this is just more fud.

SoCal to az and IPO1 like this.
  25. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Bingo on fud.

What is Msc doing different than any other brand?

Intro coupe then spider then track version. 720 is going on three years.

Have intro model (570) have mid range (720) and top end (Senna).

Doesn't seem crazy to me.

SoCal to az likes this.