Please bring back F1 engine noise | FerrariChat

Please bring back F1 engine noise

Discussion in 'F1' started by Coffpigeon, Aug 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coffpigeon

Coffpigeon Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Will F1 ever bring back the engine noise that V12's & V10's used to make ?
    I understand the cars are quieter now for various reasons - they're under pressure to cut costs, save the planet etc etc. But -
    It breaks my heart that those times seem to be lost. I haven't been to my home race (silverstone) for a few years now and I probably won't in the future unless the FIA bring back the noise.
    Please please please FIA bring it back, I miss it sooooo much.
    Attending the British Grand Prix weekend from the 80's 90's and early 00's was something I always looked forward to, it didn't matter if it rained or the race was poor it was all about the shear power and noise that those engines would make, the noise of the cars on track and the noise they made in the pits when the teams were working - 30 short revs - 1 long rev - 20 short revs - 1 long rev - 10 short revs 1 long rev (please bring those times back)
    I understand the noise isn't everybody's cup of tea (some people worry about their hearing etc) but Me my Dad & Brother would always laugh at other spectators wearing ear defenders. I'd risk bleeding ear drums all day long than wear ear muffs at a Grand Prix haha.
    Hear are some pics of me, Dad & bro from 1995

05011994, NürScud, Sharknose and 5 others like this.
  2. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I am afraid the noise is gone forever . You can’t get a turbo motor to sound like a normally aspirated one no matter what you do , the turbos muffle the sound. The V12’s and V10’s were music to the ears of all race enthusiasts, I don’t believe we will experience that again , the world has changed so has racing , those who were lucky to be part of the golden age of Motorsport have something special to hang on to , the sound of a V10 or 12 at full song

05011994 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  3. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Not a chance ...

Free exhaust means wasted energy.

F1 is now about recovering energy to obtain more power.

I'm 360 Canuck and pilotoCS like this.
  5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    ^^^^this^^^^

Quit being nostalgic. Or, go to a nascar race. Them 'ol boys still run 4 barrel carbs, dag-nabit!

william likes this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The whine of the electric car that ran at Goodwood is the sound of F1's future...maybe by 2024 at the latest. The cars will all be spec, the teams will be sponsor badged with names such as Maybaline cosmetics, GEICO insurance, TAMPEX female hygiene products, Kellog's pop tarts, etc. Drivers will not be in the cars but rather pilot them from video game consoles strapped to simulator chairs. The audience will be divided into cheering sections and they will be able to live chat with each other and the drivers.

7. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Very possible if not probable.

Progress has always been part of racing and F1, but this is definite sea change. Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Coffpigeon

Coffpigeon Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Julian
    As for quit being nostalgic, looks like that's not going happen especially with an electric future.
    At least the the ear muff brigade will be happy lol.

Like poster bmw said, I got the best of it, so I'll take pleasure in that.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The future isn't electric. It's always been a stop gap.

F1 will move to synthetic/bio fuels or hydrogen.

Technology to make Hydrogen is donkeys years old and not been developed for a simple reason: It wasn't necessary. So of course it's inefficient to make.

Battery technology on the other hand is right at the end of development for lithium. Can't really push it much further has the battery will become unstable. Batteries have been in an enormously competitive race in the last 25 years or so. Not in cars but in phones/laptops etc. Massive market where great battery life is king.

Also battery cleanliness...please don't make me laugh. At point of use all things appear fine and dandy but can we please drop the narrative they're oh so good. It's the simpletons way of ignoring the real facts behind creating and dumping these hideously hazardous batteries.

A single transport ship taking goods from china to Europe uses as much co2s as ALL CARS IN UK DRIVING IN A YEAR. Each trip! If the climate thing was such a big issue shipping would be the first and most obvious way to tackle.

Cars are very clean these days. Lets please drop the ''oh we need to drive EV's or we'll all suffocate by tuesday'' narrative. All these hippies are hypocrites. If they really cared they wouldn't be driving an EV. They'd be on their bicycle to work (if they even work), and if it's a bit far they'd take their bicycle to public transport.

HYPOCRITES!

ago car nut and bmwracer like this.
  10. Coffpigeon

Coffpigeon Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Julian
    My brother still goes to Silverstone with now adult son + mates. He says recently the engine noise is improving year on year to where it was say 5yrs ago (rock bottom)
    Maybe I should keep the faith that the FIA trying ?

11. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Not a complete waste...it's generating human joy. :cool:

Nascar switched to fuel-injection several years ago.

ryanro24 likes this.
  12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

More power does not automatically equate to better racing.

05011994, stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Really? Shows what I care about nascar.

william likes this.
  14. Coffpigeon

Coffpigeon Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Thank you youtube
    Music to the ears - in pits engine tuning

15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You can rant as much as you want, the décisions are made by politicians who have to obey the lobbies that put them in power.

Right now, they want to exterminate ICE in town and on the road, no less.

They may address shipping and air transport later, or they may not.

Nortonious likes this.
  16. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    on this we agree.

And we fans of motorsports are not a sufficiently powerful lobby, nor are we necessarily unified on what the future of racing should look like.

If the cars in the major racing series must reflect the offerings in showrooms (EV), I am skeptical about the future of quality racing.

william likes this.
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

And we know that politicians are not the sharpest tools in the box.

Many also have their own covert agendas and cannot be trusted to run a town, let alone an entire nation.

How F1 got sucked into the claws of politicians is remarkable

Bas likes this.
  18. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    If you want to see the future of F1, just watch Battle Bots on the Discovery Channel.

Nortonious likes this.
  19. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    I replay old races constantly for background noise. It's sad how much difference. the new cars just sound like race cars, which is alright but not F1 cars that sound like demons.

20. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    An on this rant about being green and Hippocrates: Stop watering your lawn, and bagging your grass clippings and putting them in plastic bags going to land fill. You want to save the environment? practice what you preach!

Bas likes this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    aint happening.

22. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Meh, many people do practice what they preach...and I suspect the majority of people who put grass clippings in plastic bags and dump them at a land fill have no pretensions about caring for the environment.

william likes this.
  23. AnthonyF12

AnthonyF12 Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Laugna Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Zanardi
    Oh we can only wish. I miss the sounds of V10 and V8's screaming without mercy in person!!

Bas likes this.
  24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Is there an F1 lawn mowing series??:confused::rolleyes:

Nortonious likes this.
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Scuderia TORO Rosso would have a jump on the competition.

Nortonious, fer312t and pilotoCS like this.