F1 movie: Racing in the rain | FerrariChat

F1 movie: Racing in the rain

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Aug 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Just saw a preview of this new movie coming out: It is a comedy (ouch) about a guy who wants to become a F1 driver. He has a dog named Enzo who speaks.

From that description it sounds like it's gonna bomb, but who knows.

What intrigued me more (aside from Enzo and the fact that the dude drives in a Ferrari Testarossa from the fifties) was a brief shot of a GP he watches on TV: If I'm not mistaken it was a scene from the 84 Monaco GP where Ickx threw the flag in too early so that Senna in the Toleman couldn't catch Prost in the McLaren. In the same scene you also see Bellof in the Tyrrell. Images that are burnt into my brain forever as I sat in that rain on the stands opposite of the swimming pool. And I remember the mayhem that ensued based on the early race termination. It was utter chaos. I was walking by a stranded F1 car. Could have easily stolen the steering wheel, but didn't (still not sure that was the right thing to do :)). Bumped into Lauda on my way to the train. Problem was, they had gated up the trainstation and there were no trains yet. So I was at the front of the gate being pushed into the metal bars by the 10,000 people behind me. Anyway, those were the days and all that flashed through my head when I saw that one second scene in that preview.

Manda racing likes this.
  2. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    The art of racing in the rain was a terrific book. There is a lot more to the story. Hopefully the movie does the book justice

thirteendog likes this.
  3. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    The Art of Racing in the Rain is a fantastic book.

If you liked the book, you will probably like the movie.

If you're a dog lover, you will probably like the movie.

If you have kids that liked the book and love dogs, it's a no brainer.

Our local FCA chapter booked a private viewing for opening weekend with apres cinema at the nearby dealership. It was a great time.

Is the movie a little sappy at times? Yes. But so what. Release you inner child I say and enjoy. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tifosi12 likes this.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hmm, interesting. Sounds promising. We'll see.

5. mbaesquire

mbaesquire Rookie

May 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex Ranjha
    Book is awesome

6. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Good news. I loved the book too. And as a non spoiler hint, Ferraris are not a common throughout the whole story.

7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We’re thinking of going to see it a second time.

Nortonious likes this.
  8. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    My 14 year old daughter wants to go back with a group of her friends (as opposed to a bunch of FCA curmudgeons). I have volunteered to drive them...and of course stay for another viewing.

Manda racing likes this.
  9. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Saw the movie this weekend, apparently the key to racing in the rain is to control the car, not enough car stuff for me, but I can see that it's a popular book and family story.

Nortonious and Manda racing like this.
  10. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Tried to see it again but it’s left both theaters in theaters in town.

Nortonious likes this.
  11. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Haha, very true. I thought it could use more cars and less dogs, but I still enjoyed it. Perhaps because of my company. My daughter recognized most of the famous races & drivers included in certain scenes.