Bought a Dino/308GT4...now decisions, decisions | FerrariChat

Bought a Dino/308GT4...now decisions, decisions

Discussion in '308/328' started by plugzit, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    In storage since 1987, in pieces. Good news as far as I'm concerned. Easier to finish when it's already apart. NO rust. Gotta do the motor, as it's apart too, due to smoking. Bushings too. Paint to whatever color??????? I think originally white, body is stripped with what I'm gonna call primer on it now. Tan interior. "Transition" car rebadged Ferrari upon sale in States. Back to Dino badging????? 5-spokes with a 6-spoke spare. Back to all 6-spokes worth it? Very heavy 5mph bumpers. What to do about those????? I'm not even sure what to call it!
    I'll post pics next week when I pick it up.
    Gotta make these and more decisions, looking for opinions of Dino GT4 crowd. I've been a 348 guy 15 years, so I know the opinions of those with cars is extremely important. What're yours?

vvassallo and absostone like this.
  2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Welcome to the gt4 club!

3. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Congratulations! Your project car sounds much Iike mine except mine had new paint on it. Been a 5 year project so far but mainly due to building the engine a couple of hours at a time each week when work permitted. Hardest thing is finding where to go to buy the right parts. Overall G.T. Car Parts in AZ have been very helpful for me and saved my bacon a few times with used parts to replace things missing from my project.

Might be worth finding out the original color and painting it in that color if it is an unusual one that might be more sought after. If not my suggestion it to paint in another GT4 color from the period but I am sure some could argue once you change the color you may as well pick whatever floats your boat.

The Dino badge on the front hood actually sits in a shallow relief in the metal so unless the indentation is there on your hood and has just been filled with bondo going back to Dino badges may be more money than its worth.

Personally I find the 5 spoke wheels more attractive on a GT4, especially the 16” versions but I am a heretic.

Regarding bumpers, not sure there is any easy solution there. They are indeed heavy and not nearly as elegant as the Euro cars. I have bought Fiat fixed mounts for mine as I intend to suck them back into the bodywork as much as I can to lessen the overhang. I guess they could be reproduced in fiberglass but I have no experience with that and don’t believe anyone else has attempted it. At least I have never seen any for sale on any Ferrari parts site.

Robert Jorgensen likes this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Congrats Bruce! Somewhere I have the specs list for the 1 factory GT4 racecar. I would make a tribute racecar out of your GT4 project and then go vintage racing. The GT4 is actually a better racer than the cooler looking 308. Pen on this board turned his gt4 into a vintage racer but not to the specs of the 1 known gt4 factory racer. I actually posted those specs here many many years ago.

Robert Jorgensen likes this.
  5. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I'm looking forward to the project. At 67, I think I have just one more in me.
    FBB, I'm not likely to go the race car route on this one. Too good a car, and after having 4 (3 at one time), I'm down to one, the keeper.
    As for color, I think the car was originally white. I kinda think that's too bland unless it has purple! stripes, so I'd better stay away from that. I'll definitely use an original factory color though. If it's a red, I'm thinking Boxer lower. I like the blues, but do they sell well? Likely I'll sell the car after whipping it unmercifully for a while. I'd like to think I'll make a buck or two when I do, maybe $10/hr for my time. Having had the red fog disease for the last 15 years, the retirement fund could use a supplement. The difficulty is what to do, and what NOT to do. This won't be a 100pt. restoration. More like 90+. I've gotta do paint, engine, engine bay, hoses, and suspension. The interior is a question mark now as to how good it looks as it is. I haven't seen all the parts yet.
    One wild thought on the motor. I still have all the 355 throttle body conversion stuff from when I put it on the 348...…..
    The car was definitely originally badged as a Dino, as there's a filled indentation in the front hood under the Ferrari badge. Would that be significantly cooler to badge it as it left the factory?
    It has the original muffler. What's that weigh, about 300? I see Superformance has an "upgrade" for $1200 or so, I wonder how much of an upgrade that one is. Don't want to spend $3000+ on a muff.

6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Congratulations Bruce!

Let me know if you need any info on 308GT4s. Maybe we need to meet up at Haus of Pizza one of these days?

Best Regards,
    Dom

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Is it smog exempt? That opens up a lot of cool possibilities.

8. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Thanks Dom. Haven't been to the HoP is a few years. I can't keep up with which ''every other" Thursday is which. Got old. Need a reminder.

Smog exempt baby!!!!!!

9. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    You might save the muffler (thermoreactor)... I believe that people wanting to go for Classiche certification will need it and might offer you a pretty penny for it. Most owners switched early-on due to weight, so the original muffs are few and far between.

10. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
  11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Well they talk about “resale red” so that may be the most popular color for majority of buyers! Blu Sera and Verde Pino are the most attractive colors on a GT4 in my opinion. I think there is an old thread with examples of GT4’s in all of the available colors.

12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I loved my blue Gt4 but if I had a choice of any colour I'd go Black with dark red leather interior.

13. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    I put a Superformance stainless steel muffler on #10402. imho sounds great although the alignment for the bolts holes was off for a US spec GT4 and involved buying some carbide drill bits and drilling new holes, then some muscle to get it in. I wrote to Superformance but doubt they will add extra holes or anything.

Color. the metallic blues are a good choice imho, the darker ones hide the bumpers.

14. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    #14 plugzit, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Thanks for the input guys!
    Yep, I'll probably sell the thermactor muffler as it seems a crime to muffle the engine noise so much.
    I'm currently thinking blu dino metallizato. That color really speaks to me, even though it may cost me a few bucks when I sell it.
    I've got to have the calipers rebuilt. 32 years in boxes did them no favors. I'm obsessing about color on them. I think red or yellow would look deadly, but maybe tacky against the blue?????? Seems a shame to redo in black now that I have the chance. Whaddyathink?
    Just cleaning and painting parts, assembling the motor now. Fortunately all the cylinders came in spec, so I just had them honed and installing new rings.
    Machine shop says they'll have the heads ready on Thursday with new guides and seals installed, seats trued.
    Waiting for the painter to have space for me. I was getting anxious and asking for recommendations for a different painter until a friend smarter than me said "All the good painters will have a wait list!"

BigTex and 19633500GT like this.
  15. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Remember how pointless this all is without pics

;)

16. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Bruce,
    Replace the exhaust valves with stainless steel! Don't even consider keeping the old/original valves. You'll sleep better at night and the next owner will consider that upgrade a plus as he/she shows you the money! Hey, I'm no expert; use the 'Search' function to learn more from those who have experienced valve failure.
    Congrats and Cheers,
    Coop

17. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I had PMB rebuild my calipers and they came back with a gold finish. Look very nice IMO. If I knew then what I know now I would fit under size valve guides and have them bored perpendicular to the seats as rifledriver has suggested. Milling the seats perpendicular to the guides resulted in seats being out of spec so had to replace. Apparently the guides were often not perpendicular from the factory.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would bag that spare motor in our Ads immediately...just needs "early cams" to be effective...

19. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
  20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Black cam covers?

21. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    • Yep, black textured. Cam covers had been blasted, so either red or black paint was needed. They're powder coated now.

absostone likes this.
  22. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    The Ferrari community does not accept customization well however this is one of the only customizations that is available to us GT4 guys! HA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and gatorgreg like this.
  23. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Ill trade you my 2 gt4's for that Daytona! :)

24. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I wish the Daytona was mine!!!!!!!!
    That pic is from the shop belonging to the guy I bought it from. Belongs to one of his clients.
    If I had a Daytona, I'd probably sleep in it.