FOUND: 250 GTE 2+2, Need help identifying it. | FerrariChat

FOUND: 250 GTE 2+2, Need help identifying it.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TonySed70, Aug 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonySed70

TonySed70 Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tony Sedillo
    Hi, I recently joined this thread in search of some answers regarding a 250GTE that my friend and I found and purchased. The car was involved in a fire at some point in its life, in the 1990's it was found by a an airmen in London, the car had been stripped of its entire frame, running gear, interior, most of the trim, etc. The airmen, cut the car into 3 pieces and shipped it to the states where it remained in crates until mid-last year when he was diagnosed with cancer. They un-crated the car and it was to be sold in the liquidation of the estate. This is where we come in, I found the car listed on line and my friend bought it. After doing a small bit of research we I found that partial serial numbers were stamped/ written all around the car. The aluminum tag that has the full number is missing. After some inspection we found the numbers "668" on the car, in several places. We were told that the car was a 1963, after doing a little more research I found that the series III cars built in 1963 were serial numbers " 4093GT-4961GT", so I assumed our car to be 4668GT but I was told by another Ferarri group that serial did not exist. SO any help is greatly appreciated! We would love to identify the car to find any more documentation or provenance.I willl post some pictures of what the car looks like currently.
    Thank you!
    Tony S. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ak3 and imahorse like this.
  2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Your GTE is going to have an uneven number as the chassis number. 668 should be the body number. Doubtless someone will have information that can help you connect that body number to the appropriate chassis number.

turbo-joe and 375+ like this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is there a chassis there? That looks like just the body to me, in which case it won't be worth much. Many 250GTE engine and chassis were taken to create replicas of more valuable cars, and I'd guess that is what happened to this one.

These bodies come up for sale regularly, so you can figure out what it's worth, if anything.

miurasv and 375+ like this.
  4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Hope you didn’t pay too much

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Without the chassis/frame it is not a car. There is nothing to add/affix/install the many other pieces you need to make it work, and it will not have an identity.

6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    688 is the Pininfarina body number which is stamped on most parts. Tom Wilson of the 250 register might be able to tell you the according chassis number, but legally it is not that car anymore since frame and chassis ID are missing.

BR
    Christopher

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The number 668 is not a PF body number. None of the 250 GTE's had 668 in either the serial number or in the PF body number.
    Please provide a photo of the number stamped in the bottom of the trunk (under spare tire). THAT would be the PF body number and allow to properly identify where this body originates from.

Thanks.

Marcel Massini

375+ likes this.
  8. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Marcel is correct that no GTE had the PF number 668. However, if that number is correct, this body is from 330 America 5013 GT. The America's had a GTE body and chassis with a 330 engine instead of the 250. To the best of my knowledge, this car is still in Scotland (in pieces), but I will check with the last known owner to see if he has the body.

gt4me likes this.
  9. TonySed70

TonySed70 Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tony Sedillo
    Thank you everyone for the information. Although a long time car guy, I’m very Ferrari ignorant. I saw the “668” body stamp in two places myself and was told it was on the car in a 3rd place. I will check for the number under the spare tire when I see the car this weekend.

As far as the car goes, I understand that not much is left, it’s not a car anymore, it’s hard to build, etc. but with modern technology this car is not impossible to save, and as Ferrari people I would assume you would rather see it live than rot into the ground. As far as establishing the serial number or more provenance on the car, it will help us decide whether we try to restore the car or build a chassis and build a “resto-mod” creation.

Tom, I really appreciate you checking with the gentleman that might have the 330 that matches. That will answer some questions.

Tony

readplays likes this.
  10. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Or 899, right?

11. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Having restored a few vintage Ferrari's from the 60's, I appreciate the good nature and curiosity of your post and research (a lot of fun really, trying to solve some of these mysteries of provenance)..

However I will tell you in the case of the pictures you posted, without anything but the shell, and in the condition it is in - even with a donor engine. This is not worth the price of scrap metal in weight (sorry to be so blunt). The damage to the frame, lack of anything original, etc. will be more than you would likely want to take on. The parts on 250's is not as easy to find as you might think, and you will need everything. Your cost, knowing you will need donor engine and chassis which will be non matching number on a non-historic car - is likely not worth the effort or dollars.

Just want you to have eyes open, as this one is not one that is worth taking on
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login IMO.

But here is one of mine that I was caretaker for and owned for a time #2895, loved it and they are beautiful..

TTR and turbo-joe like this.
  12. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Good Point! However, PF number 899 is 2783 GT, a Series I car and this is a Series III...

13. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Great photos Richard. We lost track of this one in 2012 when Paul Baber sold it in London. It was a very nice car, so I have faith that it still exists. If you have any history for the register, it would be appreciated. The search for GTEs never stops!

14. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Would you have a photo of the PF number under the spare wheel as suggested by Marcel? Would be great to see it.

Thanks

15. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I think there is a auction history in 2014 of my old 250gte, I will see if I can dig it up. I think it sold for just around 500K.

16. TonySed70

TonySed70 Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tony Sedillo
    I am standing here with the car now waiting for the shipper to arrive. I have cleaned the trunk it and couldn’t find a number. Where should it be stamped?
    Tony
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. TonySed70

TonySed70 Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tony Sedillo
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    This is sad to see.

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    turbo-joe and 375+ like this.
  20. TonySed70

TonySed70 Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tony Sedillo
  21. jimlt4383

jimlt4383 Karting

Sep 1, 2006
  22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That is really sad, especially when you look at the pictures of the car from 2002.

23. TonySed70

TonySed70 Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tony Sedillo
    There is no way this is the same car. This car was found, cut apart and shipped to the US in the 1990s. Unless the owner of that car restamped body numbers because he had the correct engine, there is no way that is possible.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    5013 looks like it's been converted to RHD from the pics on Kerry's site????