Maserati Khamsin | Page 309 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    So sad but so very true!
    Have observed similar behavior with family/friends which I found inexplicable and actually, very annoying.

Regards.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Art...

I am enjoying the pictures of your friends Khamsin.. The car looks pretty nice, at least what I can
    see from the pictures.. How are things going with it? What are the long term plans for it?

Mike (Khamsin - 1120)...

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My wife once fell asleep while we were traversing Highway 50 in Nevada @ 150 in an Infiniti Q45. She didn't when it was a Bora though!
    I get car sick if I read in a car but the worst ever was as a passenger in a Khamsin, on a rally in Cortina through the mountains as I video taped from the passenger seat.
    That took the rest of the day to recover. No cookies tossed!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks Mike,
    It's doing fine, just had it out for a 20 mile drive to get ice cream, no leaks. Yet.
    Long term, say 5-10 years, the owner is simply asking me to give it annual maintenance and/or manage select repairs. Which translates to me giving it an annual once-over and then reviewing its list of needs. At which point the owner can decide what to have done. Tires, brakes, rust, dry rot, there is plenty to choose from.. It remains a decent driver, very photogenic from 10-20ft, but the closer you get, the longer list of issues gets.

Got any recent photos of yours? It's in the process of re-assembly, correct?

Ciao,
    - Art

5. Martin B

Martin B Rookie

Jun 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martijn Baeten
    #7705 Martin B, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Hi,

Here are some pictures of the K that we did a full restoration on,we also got rid of the us bumpers and us/French steering wheel.the k was in very bad shape when it came to us. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    View attachment 2816795
    View attachment 2816793 View attachment 2816794

We only have one small issue,sometimes the clutch pedal comes up and builds up full pressure,after reaching it’s highest point the pedal slowly eases down.
    Any tips on this issue?

Greetings Martijn

71Satisfaction likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Martijn,

I was impressed when I saw the car late January and just as much now, very fine work, congratulations.

The technical side is not my primary interest and I will let the tech experts confirm or infirm my theory but it would seem you need to bleed the clutch LHM or you have a leak.

Regarding Khamsin steering wheels there is nothing French about either the US version you removed or the Euro version you fitted.

Are you selling the doorstep horizontal alloy parts? You have extras it seems, it would be good for people to know, likewise please let us know any other parts made by you or your suppliers that others restoring K's might need.

Best of luck with the completion.

Marc

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Don't toss out the USA steering wheel.

8. Martin B

Martin B Rookie

Jun 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martijn Baeten
    Hi Marc,

Thank you for the compliments!
    The steering wheel we had in the car was an strange duck indeed.
    i have read somewhere that the us and french cars where fitted whit the bulky steering wheel,but did not know the old one we had in de car was whole another model.

We did reproduce some parts that we can offer for sale:

-New brass chromed door handles(so no more cavetation in the zamac)
    -3D printed doorhandle housing,this part will be painted.
    -door sills whit ingraved Maserati logo and anodized finsh.
    -plastic pieces that support the headrest adjustment mechanism.

For prices shoot an e-mail to [email protected]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

Mexico074 and Nembo1777 like this.
  9. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
    Hello Martijn,

it would be nice, if you could maybe post some pictures of the car, before restoration

:)

Best regards

Zdenek

10. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hello. Has anyone ever found an alternate fuel line hose to go from the small upper tank that flows down to the main lower tank? It is about 3 feet long with two pre bent curves if I recall. Mine has just sprung a very slow drip leak before the 90 degree bend enroute to the lower tank.

I tried two years ago to source a new non original hose for fuel but ended up going with New Old Stock from MIE. I have not yet been able to see why it started leaking a few days after my last drive... but will look this weekend. I'd rather move to more modern hose... even if of a slightly smaller diameter to make the 90 degree bend just before the tank. Then my only mild challenge is the extra couplers to make up the difference in diameter at both ends. It is already slow to fill up ...slow drain from upper to lower tank...air vents are all clear it seems.

Also does anyone happen to know the inner diameter of that hose, which is now reattached temporarily to reduce fumes while i sort out the issue. I'll try to source parts before I get back to it this weekend.

Any thoughts or guidance... thank you,
    Richard

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

11. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Art..

Yes, I am still in the re-assembly part of my Khamsin after paint.. Things have been going slowly, as we are taking
    care of items that need correcting, refreshing, etc.. Attached is a picture of one of the areas we are looking at. In it
    you will see the new MIE headlight lifting piston I mentioned in one of my previous posts. I will keep the group
    apprised as things progress..

Make sure to keep us in the loop on your friends K, especially when you buy it from him.. :)

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Update ...Fuel line from upper to lower Tank
    I found a perfect fit i believe in a marine grade fuel hose..fireproof as well. Ordered several feet for spare and a hard plastic protective wrap to replace the NOS line that failed. It should arrive this week. The ID is 1.25 inches if anyone needs to know at both ends. MIE could no longer get stock so Imoved on. I'll give an update when installed.. it has a 90 degree bend ability over five inches which should fit and is internally re-enforced against pinching and squuezing.
    Richard

13. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Richard...

Could you supply some more details, such as where you purchased it? Who the manufacturer is? Part number or number on hose?, etc...

Thanks...

Mike

14. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Hello all. Just wondered if this was a known car. RHD 5 speed. I am guessing you have already come across it Marc??
    It is on the block with RM in London next month and I think it looks really rather nice. (Photo credit to RM)
    Given the parlous state of sterling how about some $$$ or AU$ reversing the flow of Khamsins across the atlantic??!!

Best regards.

Mark

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7715 Nembo1777, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Hello Mark,

Thanks for posting that. It is AM120335 sold new 30 June 1976 by MTC, owned 1991 by Alban P. of Hertfordshire, low miles very original car that has kept under the radar, one of those cars that get used but do not come to club events etc even though he was a member. One of the reasons for that is that he took it with him to Hong Kong for several years when he worked there! He has since passed away and the car was then sold at a Bonhams UK auction a few years ago. I saw the car in April at McGraths Maserati, am not involved with its sale. It has the oddity of being the only Khamsin with a tow hook! I hope the buyer removes it first day. Let's see what it does.

I found the RM link, here it is:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/lf19/london/lots/r0056-1976-maserati-khamsin-by-bertone/817765

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    MK1044 likes this.
  17. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello fellow K owners...

As you have read, I am in the process of finishing up the painting of my K, and slowly getting the parts put back on the car.
    But, I think I need to see what should really be painted green in the whole engine compartment.
    So, I am asking the following if possible:

1. What is the exact green color (paint code) of the brake spheres, and who makes it?

2. Can other K owners please post pictures of their engine compartments, and indicate what is green that is not evident in the picture?

I have a very good idea of what should be green, but never hurts to check. It is possible that things changed over the years as to what
    all was originally painted green.. My car is a 1975 model..

Many thanks in advance!

Mike

18. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    What if the buyer is into classic racing boats? And especially those with Maserati marine engines? That would make a spectacular sight.

Just a thought...

Regards, Roger

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hey Roger, long time since you posted, hope you are well. Yes good idea.

Re exotic towing a German used to tow his caravan with his Espada and a Swiss used his Lamborghini LM to tow his racing F40 so there you go!:)

20. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc
    I was three weeks on Holiday, no Internet, bliss

and waiting for you to share some of your new discoveries with us :rolleyes:

This week I was talking to a Garage owner in western Switzerland, because I knew he had sold a Khamsin in the 80's;
    and guess what, he came up with an incredible story of 5 Khamsins that were at one stage registered by his customers
    all living in a little village of 500 inhabitants close by, he was still able to give me their names and the colour of their cars,
    but of course without the Serial nos. At that time there were only 8 Khamsins in the whole of Switzerland.
    It must have been some sort of rivalry between them, or just a K-onnection.:D

Roger

Nembo1777 likes this.
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger,

Yes, I know how you feel, a sabbatical off the grid and writing a novel with just pen and paper is my dream:)

I have some cars to share just very busy.

That happens sometimes concentrations of cars in one small town, definitely one upmanship at work! There was a village near Porto second city in Portugal that had four Miuras when they were new but that is off topic here.

22. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
  23. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    What are those two silver colored manifolds going into the head straddling the spark plugs? Does anybody know? Maybe extra cooling water?

24. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Absolutely beautiful work, Martijn!

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Carmine, can you believe it is a year since we had that Thai lunch in Connecticut and spoke about ladies...and also cars?:)
    Time flies, hope you are well!

M