FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Yes, attending University of Google can be problematic. However, don't want to be stranded on the side of the road.

LARRYH and IloveGT like this.
  2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I just read this very interesting thread. I think (maybe better: I guess) all the PTU problems come from the PTU shaft seal failure. The engine cranckcase can be in negative pressure range (i.e. at high revs release) so it can aspire the oil from the PTU (that is Always at athmospheric pressure). Or just falling into the sump, as the drysump oil level is aways lower than the wetsump PTU gearbox. The PTU without oil will destroy and the metal pieces from the PTU can pass through the bad/damaged PTU seal and go the engine oil sump, destroying the engine. A problem like that occurred with the Lamborghini Miura 50+ years ago, when there wans't any seal between the gearbox and the engine, with the same oil for both.

ciao

P2164, R J, otakki and 2 others like this.
  3. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    That's a excellent plausible explanation that logically ties everything together! Of course, that also means owners are doomed, with the way it's designed.:confused:

4. Outrun

Outrun Karting

I had the dealership thread the drain plug on the ptu at the 4 year service. They said they could have it repaired, ie retreaded and a larger plug made. I went wild and insisted on a new ptu under the power warranty. They replaced the whole unit! I try to drive in sport mode to keep the ptu out of use, so far, so good!

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    How does sport keep ptu out of use?

6. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    yes would love to know that..i have never heard sport mode keeping ptu out of use

7. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  9. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Eeek ! Thanks for the explanation.

10. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yes, good point
    I suspect that as they move towards “powerful SUV” as opposed to “fast shooting break/GT car”, they will move towards regular 4WD systems. The sector rivals all have tweaked (but conventional) all wheel drive technology and the (much larger) target audience possibly don’t care. If there is any doubt over the robustness of the PTU concept, and potential costs for the manufacturer why bother?
    It did also occur to me that whilst most Purosangre will never get “off road” some owners will at least have rural usage, bouncing around on poor quality roads, unsurfaced drives and so on which could put other stresses on the PTU?

11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Ferrari should have a visible oil reservoir in addition to the oil sensor for the PTU so the oil can be monitor closely, in the same way that brake fluid reservoir canister is transparent and easily visible in most car's engine compartment.

I'm guessing the Purosangue will have the front wheels powered by electric motors, like the SF90.

12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    From my understanding, the PTU is always engaged when the car is in gear 1-4 regardless of the mode. If anything, the PTU is engaged longer and more often in the sport mode. Please find out because I would love to be wrong on this. I'll just leave it in sport mode all the time if that means the PTU is out of the picture.:)

What's the dealership's rationale on how that procedure is helping the PTU's potential issues?

13. Outrun

Outrun Karting

So, upon reflection I think i’ve been too simplistic with my thought that leaving in sport would negate it. I assumed that as the car is rwd in sport mode, where in the others it’s 4wd in gears 1-4, then it must be as simple as not using the ptu. Actually, I agree with what you’re saying now that i’ve thought about it and it’s more likely to engaged all the time. I’ll still use it in sport 99% of the time though :)

When it come to the replacement, there was no issue with the unit. The 4 year service includes ptu fluid change and when doing that, the dealership threaded the drain plug. I insisted on a whole new unit as I didn’t have confidence that a re-thread and larger plug was a good enough solution. The car is under warranty and so they apologised and made the claim. I suspect they used an air gun on the bolt which had far too much torque and caused the fragile casting to be damaged. I’m happy, in a way as it means I got a new unit before any issues, not to say that there would have been one.

For what it’’s worth and for those considering FF or a v12 Lusso, I have had my car for over a year and put 4K miles on it, included some very spirited driving in mainland Europe. Nothing has gone wrong. Not a warning light, not a bulb, nothing. It’s kept in a heated garage on the Ferrari Ctek when not in use. Only thing i’ve done is changed the Pzeros to Michelin PS4S which as you all know, is a personal choice only. It’s cold here sometimes and the Pirelli takes ages to warm.

I plan to keep it for another couple of years and then add, probably an 812, alongside. I am actually considering daily driving it as the values are being hit here in the UK by Brexit and all the uncertainty that’s bringing. Why watch it depreciate under a red cover when I can enjoy it! You only live once, better make it count.

14. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    A couple of weeks ago I got the low 4wd oil pressure, manitteno failure, take car to dealer warning on my 2013 FF.

Battery is about 2 years old, car driven 2-3 times per week. Plugged in the battery tender over a couple of nights to make sure it’s not a battery issue. Started up the car and still get those error messages.

I just noticed some oil stains under the car. I honestly cant remember if those are new stains or were there previously. Pic is from the drivers side looking toward the front of the car - hard to make out but looks like the oil stain is coming from the front part of the car, where I understand the ptu sits. The stain is a little sticky.

Has anyone seen the ptu leak oil? If it’s leaking oil, I’m concerned about driving it 30 miles to the dealer and would rather have the car flatbeded. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SALVATORE'S FF, vcappp and vegasviper like this.
  15. vegasviper

vegasviper Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2005
    Las Vegas,NV
    My PTU leaked (dry rotted hose). Hard to tell from that picture if that is what this is. Repair was about $1,900, $1K labor, $900 crappy Ferrari hose

vcappp likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    there are 3 current threads on this...prob get more attention there than creating a redundant thread fwiw

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    This PTU thing is now spreading like a wildfire.

18. Outrun

Outrun Karting

If it’s inside warranty, ask them if they are happy if you drive it them. Otherwise, have it taken there. You won’t know what’s leaking until you get it up in the air and remove the under trays. Hopefully, it’s just a hose or clip.

19. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    After mine failed earlier this month (see post #10 and #19), it went to the dealer who repaired and returned the car today on schedule. No questions asked, all done under warranty. Since it is August, I don't think the factory was involved in the process. The "worked carried out" section of my "invoice" doesn't not state the PTU replacement explicitly but the service manager did confirm it but did not know if the unit has been upgraded to avoid a repeat.

PS: As I said before, I am one of 30 or so FF/Lusso's that they sold and look after, and I am the first one with an issue.

deltona likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i live north of NYC - the 2 closest dealers to me are each big ones and each has only had 1 ptu failure, one was due to impact and the other due to some leaks. no reason to hit the panic button on this but hey it's the internet

vraa, BarryK and of2worlds like this.
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i live north of NYC - the 2 closest dealers to me are each big ones and each has only had 1 ptu failure, one was due to impact and the other due to some leaks. no reason to hit the panic button on this but hey it's the internet

(can we merge this thread with the other live one that's basically the same exact topic?)

P2164, otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    How do I merge the thread?

And there is definitely a small leak coming from the front, drivers side of the car

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you can't merge it - the admins can. take her into see a doctor!

24. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Taking her into F Newport Beach and will try to get some insight into their experience with ptu.

Seems like this ptu discussion has been very active recently.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    It certainly has. Do you have warranty on the car?