355 - 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find | FerrariChat

355 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Aug 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Seems like there is a giant shortage of candidate F355 Berlinettas and GTS for sale currently that are good cars.

I know of several buyers that are falling into depressed status because they have money waiting to buy but are not finding any cars on the market to even look at....

What does the group think? Current owners going to hold on to their cars forever at this point? :D I fit into that category along with my brother and another of our good friends.

Would seem to be the time to sell if people are on the fence.

If you have or see a car for sale drop me a line to help others out.

I wouldn’t hesitate on an F1 car but there aren’t that many of those either, and the friends I try to help are hesitant to do the stick swap on them. I also know Luke’s old yellow 95 for sale in VA is a good car but yellow is not for everybody. Not much else out there.

I guess there may be more coming for sale if the economy turns south... no real crystal ball here. Other issue at play is what people will actually pay that discourages them because if the 355 get too expensive, there are more options on newer models to argue against the older car.

Well anyway. What is everyone else seeing?

Robb

ShineKen and INTMD8 like this.
  2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    That's the plan! :)

308 GTB and Robb like this.
  3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Same here. :)

Robb likes this.
  4. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Me, as well.

Robb likes this.
  5. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    ironically, there seem to be plenty of spiders for sale...….

Robb likes this.
  6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    My take

355 challenge in the cave in New Mexico, second one joining it by years end, 348 challenge after that. Need to make room for an open wheel car.
    Tried to sell but nothing but lowballers, critics and A-holes did I say A-holes lots of them.
    I rather see them rot in the cave after I die or my nephews have fun with them after the reading od my Will

:)

xo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen and Skippr1999 like this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Seems like they are plentiful across the pond. Must be an USA thing. Still, about 25% of the car listed on Car Gurus are b's or GTSs. Seems about normal to me.

8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    How many of the car gurus cars are sticks?

Robb

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Have to say, after driving my Cayman S with PDK I'll never buy another manually shifted car.

10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    So here are the sticks on your link - 6 out of 42.

A red car from questionable dealer at $84k, a good yellow car private party, a higher mileage yellow car at $88k, two others at or above $100k and Rob's metallic black unicorn at $140k:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1120&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=85207&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=143129073

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1120&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=85207&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=243830642

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1120&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=85207&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=242624276

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1120&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=85207&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=243800544

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1120&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=85207&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=199126739

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1120&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=85207&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=249166336

Slim Pickings. Very glad I found mine.

Robb

INTMD8, ShineKen and carnutdallas like this.
  11. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
  12. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    ShineKen likes this.
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Always will be more spiders in the US. The US is predominantly a spider market. You will find that in any model since the 308. Hell, there were like 50 US 308 GTB QVs made for the US market. You can't count how many GTS.

As for buyers, there are cars out there but it seems the "buyers" aren't willing to pay the price of entry or they want more than a B. like purple with green interior and only 427 miles.

As I said earlier, the mix is pretty close to what has been the historic mix of spiders and couples. Not sure about the break down between gates and F1 though.

Some of the cars that are out there have also been on the market for over a year. So it would appear that the "buyers" are somewhat fickle, like someone I know who only wanted a blue 355 coupe. :)

14. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Interesting site...not too sure about the quality of the listings though:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    John,

Ah well... you have me there. But I did have the yellow one and black challenge before that. Many more to choose from last 6 years it seems.

But you are right with buyers drawing a line in the sand on how high they will go before they start looking toward that 458...

I think people are finally catching on and buying their forever cars though...

Definitely will be a rush on European imports next 1-5 years...

Robb

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That would be my bet. But over all there are a lot of 'B"s around. Over 3800 gated cars produced. Frankly if I were looking for another 355 it would be the 99 GTS F1 in Miami. I know there are questions about that car, but if it's a keeper there is plenty of time to address those. But you know me, if I can only have 1 Ferrari, I'll keep my 308. Sure, the 355 is a better car in every way, but it's not a better Ferrari. :)

cnpapa24 and Robb like this.
  17. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I just got mine a few months ago but I don't see myself selling it any time soon. I tend to hang onto/accumulate cars in general so no major surprise. If I had another garage spot, I'd quite possibly add a 308/328... Or another Porsche...

Robb likes this.
  18. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My 355 F1 to

Serviced and solid. Great car. $62,500.

Unicorn is my buddies place cause he gets some high rollers with seriously funny money and safe showroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I want to hold out to the 30 year mark... but I just can’t play in this world and get two girls through college, run my business and tie nearly $200k in F cars.. plus my others! I should have kept my Gated GTS, but went for two. My butt puckers too much with those obligations... oh well. Probably won’t sell anytime soon. Buyers are ridiculously fickle and frankly annoying. I have bought sold cars for 25 years as my hobby and it has sucked the past 3 years on all levels. People hide behind the computer and throw out stupid offers like $10k then ask. I just bought two Corvettes cause I got off my ass and showed up with cash ready to buy.

We shall see... maybe the lottery hits this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Hi Robb and John,

I've always avoided posting in market and value threads as I would only be adding my uninformed opinions and guesses. The F355 market is subject to different pressures that go beyond the law of supply and demand. Some of those pressures we've witnessed in this forum.

I have a general idea of how many six-speed manual F355 Berlinettas were produced. Are there any figures as to how many came to the United States during the years of its production 1994-1999? My exposure to Ferraris is limited to track events and to Pocono Sportscar where my F355 Challenge is maintained thus the majority of F355s I've seen were Berlinettas. If indeed the Berlinettas in the United States are greatly outnumbered by GTSs and Spiders, then it follows that the numbers Berlinettas for sale would be in the minority too. Has there been a decreasing number of Berlinettas listed for sale over the past several years?

Barry

21. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    3,829 Berlinetta in stick form in the world - 25% to the US so 957

2,577 GTS in stick form in the world - 25% to the US so 644

1,600 cars in the US not deducting those out of use because of salvage / parts cars in accidents.

9 different cars for sale on cargurus, Ebay, autotrader. or .5%

I'm not thinking values - I just hope we can assist those buyers find their cars. They are having a hard go of it currently.

Robb

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Thanks, Robb. I didn't know that only 25% of six-speed manual Berlinettas and GTSs were delivered to the United States.

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The one on Bat went for 74K so am not clear how people wanting them jives with the 74K price. Unless folks are looking only for the unicorns. Red and Tan low mileage is perhaps not unicorn enough.

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have no reason to doubt Robb's number, but I have always heard that roughly 25% to 33% of Ferrari production was for the US market. I don't know that it applies to the division of models in a given line. I'd be surprised if 25% of the 355B and GTS production came to the USA.

One thing for sure. Based on the listing and mobile.de spiders in Europe are as rare as Bs and GTS in the US. That's why I think this "B" thing is more a US thing than a collector thing. There is very little difference in the prices of Bs GTS and spiders in Europe, though prices do vary widely for all models.

25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Thanks, John. Would you happen to know how many six-speed manual Spiders went to the United States?