Official Daytona Pics | Page 65 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    -CD- and colombo2cam like this.
  2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes the stance is good, but the bumpers look a little too high on the yellow car and out of line on the brown car from the photo

3. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    The yellow car is a late US production 73 with extended bumpers - Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I’ve come across (& documented) at least 3 different OEM front bumper bracket configurations/designs utilized throughout the production timeline, each locating bumpers differently, each somewhat adjustable and some can even be accidentally/deliberately/easily re-assembled differently (wrong ?), therefor affecting/changing the final location of the bumpers.

Also, OEM brackets on many of the cars I’ve observed have appeared to been formed and welded to chassis in a fashion typical to rest of the OEM chassis & coachwork construction methods & precision seen in these cars. :rolleyes:

And finally, many of the cars may have had their brackets modified, some perhaps on multiple occasions over the decades, due to either collision damaged and/or preference of either owner or rebuilder/restorer, etc...

of2worlds and Daytonafan like this.
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    of2worlds likes this.
  6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Sorry my mistake

I was talking about the photos of the brown car and the yellow car which looks to be a euro car [post 1598] CH was taking about the yellow car a few post above that and I had missed that.

The bumpers of the yellow car in the photo above are the correct height. [ too many yellow cars]

My thoughts on bumper height is that they were a fixed height to enable running lights/ side lights to fit above them, this height did not change when the running lights/ side lights were added into the head light bowls, well that’s my take on it after studying 100's of Daytona's, I agree with you Timo lots were modified after crashes or personal taste, I asked one respected restorers body guys, why they had not corrected the position of the bumpers on a plexi car they had restored, and the answer they gave was that they put it back how it came in to them and this made them fit it with no side lights above the bumpers and as such had to fit euro indicator lens with white side lights in a UK plexi car!

of2worlds and TTR like this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ..., but fortunately not as many as red ones. :D

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    BTW, does any one by chance have or took good and cares to share photos of the (infamous, curved or not) front fender-to-front facia panel body line transition of the 16501 featured at Goodings Pebble Beach auction couple of weeks ago ?

I took a lot detail photos of it at the preview, but for some reason the ones of those areas from either side didn’t come out that good and being that its front coach work seemed quite original with number of tell-tale (and now photo documented) evidence supporting that, I wouldn’t mind having good shots of those in my archives.

Eds photos of that transition in his post #1576 support my views of it, but unfortunately the car longer wears its original coach and paint work. If anyone has and would be willing to share that cars “transition” prior to any repaints, repairs or restorations it would help make the case for or against my views.

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    its possible that the front fender/headlight transition line had different finish appearances depending on who worked that area at the factory. if it were to be a straight line, perhaps an aggresive metal worker erased it?
    remember, the bodies were finished then left out in an open area behind the body factory and accumulated surface rust. a quick sanding and off to paint.
    sound plausible?

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #1610 Marcel Massini, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The yellow Daytona in post #1598 has serial number 14355 and was born in Rosso Dino 20-R-350. It was completed 25 June 1971 and has had 15 owners in Italy so far. It was repainted yellow prior to 2012.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and colombo2cam like this.
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Based on my observations above theory doesn’t quite "sound plausible", but I wouldn’t mind being proven otherwise.

I believe all the original final body line shapes and refined details appear to have been formed by sanding them on to heavy coats of body fillers which the entire bodies and exterior panels were covered/sprayed with after the they were metal finished and prior to final prep and painting (some small variances between cars and/or production batches were obviously possible due to personnel changes, etc.).

I’m also fairly sure those bare bodies photographed sitting outside of Scagliettis(?) plant back in the day ended up receiving a lot more than just than “quick sanding” before they were ready for paint.

Also IMO, the actual forming & shaping of sheet metal appears to have been quite different than the beautiful & smooth metal finish often romanticized by those never having had a chance to closely study the original construction of a completely stripped-to-metal bodies of these or similarly constructed Italian cars of same vintage.

I’ve seen (and photo documented) fair amount “interesting” original sheet metal work on several of these cars and I’m sure there are plenty of other restorers who've seen similar, but may have not payed much attention or bothered to document their observations at the time, especially when such efforts aren’t commonly a part of commissioned restorations and don’t put food on the table.

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Looks like it might've received some cosmetic (facial) surgery at one time or another...

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think the bodies were sitting outside while the factory was being modified/ updated, so not all Daytona and Dino bodies sat outside, that is if my memory is correct.

Do you have any more info on this Marcel?

colombo2cam likes this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Daytona bodies were built by Carrozzeria SCAGLIETTI at Via Emilia Est in Modena. Not by Ferrari in Maranello, which is 17 kms south of Modena.
    Yes, at Scaglietti bodies sat outside for quite a while. Two photos taken by Edwin K. Niles.

Marcel Massini

16. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I never knew of this -- very interesting --

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I’ve always wondered if it was common to have these bare/naked bodies sitting outside throughout the production timeline due to indoor space constraints or if this was just a temporary occasion, perhaps due to construction of that building in the background or ...?

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Pictures posted by Mr. Niles to another thread along with the above "Scaglietti yard" shots (taken by Mr. Niles) reminded me that the bare Daytona (& Dino) bodies originally also received copious amounts of lead*, which was then shaped to even out major panel fit irregularities prior to heavy coverage of filler/primer which then was sanded to refined details & shape before the application of final paint.

And if I'm not mistaken, all engine bay, trunk, undercarriage and other "blackout" was applied after the exterior color.

* Apparently not yet present on the bodies in those "Scaglietti yard" shots".

readplays likes this.
  19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It might have been Ed Niles that wrote somewhere, that it was a temporary situation while the new buildings were being built, but I remember that from somewhere and the background in the second photo does show new building being built.

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks Grant. That’s what I’ve always suspected.

Now, all we need is Marcel to share a list of VINs affected by this situation and not just the ones in the photos, but every car & chassis number that forced to extended outdoor storage during construction, along with dates each was outside. :D

21. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    I am quite sure it was tin and not lead.

TTR likes this.
  22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thank you. I apologize for inaccurate/misleading material description.
    Being that English is not the language I grew up with and having never received any formal education for it (or any of the few other languages I attempt to periodically communicate with), I hope can be forgiven for unintentional mistakes like this, but being somewhat pendant for details myself, I can appreciate constructive corrections and criticism.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Well we call it lead over here, and that what it was, but a special form of lead accoring to Mike my Ferrari friend. He was very proud that his cars came with no filler just leaded as they came out of the factory.

TTR likes this.
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Same here in automotive body panel/sheet metal context, but in some other countries/languages it’s reference (in same context) translates to “tin” or “tinning” in English.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie