Removing Fulcrum Shaft from Maserati Mistral | FerrariChat

Removing Fulcrum Shaft from Maserati Mistral

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ettore66, Aug 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
    I need help removing the fulcrum shaft from my '65 Maserati Mistral in order to replace the lower control arm bushings. The coil spring has been removed with both threaded ends of the fulcrum shaft now exposed on the lower control arm. The fulcrum shaft however refuses to budge and I hesitate to use extreme force unless absolutely necessary especially with the limited space available. Any ideas, suggestions, or advice would be sincerely appreciated.

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    There is a set screw that holds the lower fulcrum. This needs to be removed using a flat head screwdriver.

Ivan

3. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
    Wonderful! Many thanks, Ivan

4. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

5. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
    Thanks, Julian. As you noted, the two front suspension designs are identical. I'm still unable however to find the illusive set screw, which I'm assuming is buried under 64 years of paint. Could you possibly indicate where I might find this set screw? Thanks, Mike Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
  7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Michael...

Be careful when attempting removal of this set screw.. When I disassembled my Ghibli front suspension, I could not get it to budge at all..
    I ended up drilling it out, which may now have other effects tbd..

What year is your Mistral? I have a 1964 Mistral waiting in the wings for when I do finally retire.. Also, I believe I may have purchased
    a few parts from you over the years via e-bay.. Could that be possible?

If you need me to check where this set screw is located, let me know....

Mike Demyanovich

8. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
    Thanks to all for helping me find this set screw. After stripping the paint off, I finally located this set screw as shown in the photo. Unfortunately, the fulcrum shaft is still extremely stiff but the lower control arm does move somewhat easier. I've squirted WD-40 into the set screw hole and into the ends of the bushings with little effect. Any help or ideas on removing this fulcrum shaft would be extremely appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
    Hi Mike,
    Yes, I remember selling you some parts. Good hearing from you. I have a '65 Mistral (109422) with a 4-liter engine (#902) that replaced the original 3.7 liter (#422) after the crankshaft broke. I've owned mine since 1975 with unimaginable experiences since then.

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Put washers on the side of the fulcrum where it will exit the body. Screw in one of the fulcrum nuts so that it pushes against the washers and pulls the fulcrum out. Continue to screw in the nut until you run out of threads. Remove the nut, add more washers or a pipe, and repeat these steps until the fulcrum is fully out.

Ivan

11. GT ROCK

GT ROCK Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Good tip from Ivan.
    Put some heat on the setscrew before attempting removal, once its chewed up you have a problem,
    and clean the shaft thoroughly down to clean metal before moving it at all.
    Once started it should be quite easy to move

Keith

12. Ettore66

Ettore66 Rookie

Oct 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Coffman
    Thanks to Ivan, again. Fulcrum shaft was removed with no problems and front suspension rebuild can continue on my Mistral.