365gt 2+2 Slight petrol leak | FerrariChat

365gt 2+2 Slight petrol leak

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Bowzer, Sep 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Hello all
    I have a small leak from the hose pipe connecting the rigid pipe between the two petrol tanks.
    The drain area beneath this rigid pipe is moist with petrol. it is very difficult to investigate properly from inside the luggage booth. Is there a bottom panel beneath the petrol tanks which can be disassembled to investigate further what is causing the leak ?
    Thank you

2. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Hi Marcus,

If you are going to do it yourself, put it on the lift and stands and crawl under and take a look, otherwise you should take it to your mechanic for a proper look. A fuel leak is dangerous and should be dealt with right away.

3. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Hi APA#1, ok no panels can be dismounted from underneath. Petrol tank needs to be dismounted from topside to be investigated.
    Thank you , now going to the professionals ;-)

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I don’t have direct experience with a QM, but I believe the petrol supply/tank setup in it is similar to Daytona (both built around same timeframe) and there’s probably no removable panels below the trunk, although there might be a small (maybe 40-50 mm diameter ?) cover or plate at the bottom allowing access to petrol drain plug perhaps located in the center of the rigid pipe.

To service or replace any flex hoses you may need to remove or at least loosen both tanks.
    The cause of your leak/smell could be from several items, including aforementioned lower large dia. hoses, filler neck hose, upper tank-to-tank balance hose, the yellow( ?) pick up hose, its “banjo” fitting or seal rings, fuel gauge sending unit seal, drain plug seal ring, etc and I would recommend replacing all while you’re there.
    I would also recommend making sure you buy these items from experienced & reputable supplier to make sure they are all compatible with chemical composition of modern petrols.

Given your location and to better assist yourself with this and any other future service needs, if you don’t already have one, I highly recommend buying a good copy of a parts manual for your car.

Also, given your location, lack of access to experienced mechanic shop and perhaps your own lack of experience with these types of services, I would recommend buying/ordering extra/spare one of each item you need, i.e. if you need 2 hoses, order 3 or if you need 4 seal rings, order 5-6. It never hurts to have extra items on hand in case you accidentally mess up or loose one in the middle of the job.

5. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you TTR , as said above , Aluminium fuel tank needs removal for inspection for a suspected crack :-( Whole mechanical , suspension and fuel system has just been completely overhauled this summer

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... and the fuel tanks were not inspected/tested (for cracks or leaks) during this "complete overhaul" ??

7. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    To be verified !

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Good luck. Hopefully it turns out to be just some recently replaced new hose, loose hose clamp or seal ring and not any crack(s) in tank(s).

9. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Keeping fingers crossed :)

10. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Finally problem solved.
    Right side tank out and immediately the culprit was there to see !
    Hosepipe attachment with jubilee clip was not properly done , hence the slight leak
    All's well that ends well.