Tinting front windshield, worth it? | FerrariChat

Tinting front windshield, worth it?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by azzurribaggio, Sep 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Does anyone have tint on their front windshield? I know 3M makes a crystalline 90% tint which is basically clear but the heat reduction is noticeable (at least during a heat lamp test in their store I could tell). I can imagine during long drives and track days this would be beneficial.

2. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I had it installed on my Audi Q7 suv, as the heat off the large windshield make the black dash crazy hot. It cost around $350 and helped a lot !

legendd likes this.
  3. azzurribaggio

90% Crystalline tint I assume? Or something else? Any issues with visibility if a darker tint?

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Illegal in Switzerland, including side windows, no tint allowed.
    One goes to jail for this.

Marcel Massini

5. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I did the front windshield on my 599, 430, and Testarossa. Cuts the UV and heat, plus anything to protect the dash. I believe it was the 3M. About $350 per windshield as Digman52 indicated. I notice no difference in visibility, but had a great installer. If I had to stare at a bubble or crease, it would drive me crazy.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  6. azzurribaggio

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I am sold. I'll have the front windshield done on my other car with 90% crystalline to see how it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I had it done on my M3 a couple years ago mainly for the UV protection for the leather dash. Definitely helps with heat as well. Couldn’t tell it was really there until I had to clean sweet tea off of it (don’t ask) and ended up scratching it. Now I see the scratch in my line of site but not bad enough to replace. Drives me crazy, though!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    hot in SF?

9. azzurribaggio

I'm in Mountain View, it does get hot for us because we don't get hit with the fog.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. azzurribaggio

90% or 70% tint?

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have clear Huper Optik on my 911. And, the thermal insulating glass on my Cali. Both worth it here in Texas IMO. Just make sure to Google up your local laws to make sure you are in compliance...T

12. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Have 50% ceramic tint on the windshield, best thing I ever did. Looking at it can't tell its there.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  13. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have llumar air 80(it is clear)on the windshields of both the 458 and my Maserati. I mainly wanted it for the UV protection, 99%.
    IIRC it also reduces heat by 40 percent. I love the leather in my cars but it really is the worst material to use for a dash so I try to protect it as much as possible.

14. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    i have had a ceramic film installed on the inside windscreen on the 550(and my dd), it's invisible, cuts out more than 90% UV. i did it on the 550 mostly to protect the black leather dash and overall cabin heat, i also tinted the other glass as it gets quite wrm here in oz.

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Where it is allowed I think it is worthwhile if you are going to drive the car often. If the car is going to sit int he garage almost all the time, then it is not worth the cost.

16. azzurribaggio

I had the windshield done on my BMW to see if I like it. What I noticed is there is a lot of "specks"? between the tint and glass. At first I thought it was the inside of the windshield so I cleaned inside an outside but still seeing these "specks".

Is this normal? Or did the shop that did my just not do a good job cleaning the inside of the window or allowing dust particles on the tint itself before applying?
    Cost me $300 using 3M crystalline 90%

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Can you share where you had it done? My 348 is Canadian spec - clear glass all the way around. While my a/c works excellently, the sun still burns my arm through the side glass.

18. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I too have my front glass done on all cars that I own now; it makes THAT much of a difference. From protecting the dash to cutting down on the interior heat as well. Cost point for my SL65 that was just done was $600 for all windows.

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    When did you get it done? The wife noticed specks as you call them when they first installed the Huper. Looked more like very small bubbles I would say in the windshield. We were told it took a few weeks to "cure" " the film. I also recall being told that it cures faster in hot weather. This was almost 6 years ago, so my memory could be faulty/foggy...T

20. azzurribaggio

What % and type of film did you use?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JoeTSI likes this.
  21. azzurribaggio

Got it done last Thursday, so it's been 5 days now. I did notice the water/air bubbles when I picked it up because a few were right in my line of sight. The installer said those should go away in a 2-4 days, and those have gone away. What I'm talking about is just dots of dust I guess, I'll try to take a pic. You can see it really clear with the sunlight shining thru, if it really is between the glass and tint it'll suck that my windshield cannot be crystal clear anymore like before after a wash. Since I used 90% tint the heat reduction is only 34% versus 50%? if I chose 70% tint.
    If this is the case I don't think I'll tint the windshields of my other cars (including the F430).

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    In case you guys are not aware, the U.S. DOT regulations prohibit tinting of windshields and front side glass darker than what most auto and glass manufacturers use in production "tinted windows".
    I know cases where LEOs have known and written tickets for this, especially for those "blacked out" front side glass.
    I also know insurance claims having been denied due to same reasons.

23. azzurribaggio

From what I read and others have told me in California 70% is the darkest for the front side glasses and windshields.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #25 TTR, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    ... which, IIRC, is pretty much what "factory" standard (regulatory allowed) tints on most vehicles are.
    How often do you see new car dealers having or offering new (not yet sold) vehicles with front side glass or windshields tinted darker than delivered by factory ?
    And obviously the aftermarket industry or shops are not going to clearly disclose something like that. If anything, it might be in that very small print on the service order agreement.